Sign in to follow this  

installing FS2002 on new HD

Hello all,I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've been using FS for years now, recently bought a new 40GB HD and had it installed as the primary drive. My old 30GB HD was left on as a slave drive (E:/). My FS2002 and 767PIC was on the old drive, I'm not a computer expert by any means but I know that I couldn't just copy it to the new drive (did it and it said FS2002 wasn't installed properly) So I tried to reinstall on the new drive (c:/) After several tries I got it to install but recieved the message "Scenery read error! Attempting to open a nonexistent directory c:/programs/microsoft games/etc.etc.... with weird font type for the file. After hitting OK eight times FS boots up but much scenery is missing. So I logged off and on again, FS boots up but after selecting the flight I want and hitting "fly now" the program minimises on the toolbar and there is now way to open it up. Task manager says it's runnning but CPU is not moving and the darn thing will not open out off the task bar!!Any ideas? anyone?ZantherAMD 1900Gigabyte MDKingston 512 ddrnvidia 4 Ti 4400western digital 40gb 7200rpm primary?? 30gn 5400rpm slavewindows xp pro

Guest UweR

Hi, with WinXP, you should be able to run FS2002 without the registry entries, meaning that it should be possible to just copy the complete FS folder to its new location.Did you reinstall WinXP on the primary drive, or did you ghost/image it to the new location?Did you delete the old FS2002 folder, or is it still there?Could you post (or send) your scenery.cfg file (which seems to be the culprit)? URademache@t-online.deRegards, Uwe

Hi, thanks for the quick reply,Yes, I reinstalled winxp on the primary driveNo, I didn't delete the old FS2002 on the now E: drive.I tried to copy the entire directory from the E to the C drive but like I mentioned, when I tried to run it, it gave me the message that I had inproperly installed FS2002 and didn't open. I'll send you the scenery.cfg file, see what you think.Thank youZanther

Install fs2002 to the new location so it sets up the registry in WinXP. Once it is install, try it to ensure it is working properly. If so, delete the new fs2002 folder. Next copy the old fs2002 folder to the same area of your new diskdrive, usually, c:program filesmicrosoft gamesfs2002. If you ran the old fs2002 under win98, then delete your fs2002.cfg, start fs2002, let it stabilize, and it will regenerate a new fs2002.cfg. If you use and addon modules, such as, FSUIPC.dll, and calibrated a joystick previously in FSUIPC, you will need to recalibrate using the USER's guide from FSUIPC.A second reason to have fs2002 in the windows registry is other addon programs sometimes search the registry for the fs2002 location.

I think I understand the concept, the problem being that after installing in the new location FS2002 encounters errors with scenery files, I'm not sure if it is getting confused and looking on the E: drive or what but I get error that read "scenery read error! attempting to open a non existent directory"Zanther

Is this error happening during the installation process or after a successful installation. If during the installation process, you may need to modify your CD Drive settings. Open device manager, select IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, select either the primary or secondary IDE channel depending on which channel your CD drive is located.You can find this information under DVD/CD ROM Drives. Click the "+" next to the DVD/CD ROM Drive entry. Double-click on your CD drive you are using to install FS2002. On the General tab page, read the location information, i.e., 1 (1), 0 (0). Normally, your primary harddrive is on the primary channel, device 0. Your CD Drive could be on the primary channel, device 1 or secondary channel, device 0. This all depends on how you installed your new harddrive and reinstalled all the other equipment.Once you know which device you want to change the DMA option, open the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, select the proper channel, select the proper device, i.e., 0 or 1, and change the DMA status for that device. Reboot your computer and try to reinstall FS2002 again.Remember to put the device back to the default mode after you have successfully installed FS2002. You will also have to be in an administrators account to make these change in WinXP Pro.If the occurance is after a successful installation, rename your new fs2002 folder to fs2002NEW, copy the original fs2002 folder from your other harddrive, delete the fs2002.cfg file (as I explained earlier), start FS2002, let it stabilize, and see if it works properly. If so, delete folder fs2002NEW, make any corrections, modifications to the new fs2002.cfg, such as, joystick calibrations, etc.

Hello,Nice reply... I'll have to read that one a few times, you obviously know your stuff. The problems occur AFTER a seemingly successfull installation attempt. I've posted a new message, what I've done is disconnect my old hard, reinstalled FS2002 on the new HD and have encountered a new problem, (see post "installation problems") this is a real pickle!Zanther

OK here's the current condition. I have FS2002 installed on my new HD, I have the old FS2002, with all my aircraft PIC767 and other modifications on my new HD in a directory called programs/microsoft games/FS2002OLDThe problem seems to be with a video setting or something because when I click on FS2002 I get the splash screen and it takes me to the opening menu. I select a simply flight out of miegs in a cessna(this happens no matter what aircraft or airport I select)when I hit the "fly now!" button FS2002 minimizes on the taskbar and doesn't move, there is no way to open it up off the taskbar. I go to task manager and it says that FS2002 is running. I'm not sure if it's a video setting, I'm using the same hardware I had with my old hard drive so what gives??Zanther

Since you installed a fresh copy of the operating system on your new harddrive, did you also install all the drivers for the controller chips, i.e., AMI, VIA, Intel, SiS, etc? How about your sound and graphics cards? Are they all up to date, and under device manager there are not contentions for IRQs or missing drivers for all the peripherals, such as, x, ?, !. If there are none and all the device drivers have been installed, try deleting your fs2002.cfg file in the folder you are using to access fs2002. Also make sure your normal screen resolution is at least 800X600X32. Restart fs2002 and see if it works.

I had the Hard Drive installed by a pro, I installed the OS, I think I installed all required drivers, I have a ti4400, so I downloaded the lastest from that site, I have a via kt333 chipset so I have the latest 4 in 1 driver for the via site.One thing I haven't mentioned is that at the time of installing a new HD I had a new motherboard installed as well. I went from a ECS k7vsa to a gigabyte 7vrxp with via kt333 chipset. I don't know if this has something to do with it.I tried deleting the fs2002.cfg file but the same problem. I get as far as the main menu but when I hit the "fly now!" button the screen goes black then reappears with FS minimizes on the toolbar and no way to open it!Zanther

one more thing FS2002 is the only program I'm having trouble with, all others like ACAD2000 and Quicken..etc work fine.Zanther

I think I know what is going on. I had this problem before. Make sure your display resolution is set to 640x480x16. Your video card may not support 32-bit color modes.If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

In case that didn't work, uninstall FS2002 and reinstall. When the box that says decompressing scenery textures comes up, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and close the setup program. Setup will ask you to confirm. Just wait for a few seconds until another box pops up and hit end task. Restart your computer, and see what happens.If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Well I tried the CTRL+ALT+DEL during decompression and no luck still the same problem, as far as the video card, I have a Geforce 4 ti4400 it supports high resolutions at 32m color.Like I say, I get as far as the main menu, I can create a flight or change my display settings, but no matter what the combo after I hit fly now, darn thing will not load up and play.Zanther