Sign in to follow this  

Force feedback in FS2k2

Does force feedback work well with Flight Simulator?Does it improve realism? Do I get better feel of how thecontrols feels in real aircraft? Or is it better to spendthe money on a non force feedback joystick?

Guest nitram

It depends on what aircraft you use. I have the logitech force feedback stick which I no longer use. I fly mainly 'heavies' and I use the CH usb yoke (and pedals) so the joystick is redundant. Airbuses use the joystick for control but I believe that they do not offer any feedback forces in real life. I found that after intial use the effects are quiet boring. There is nothing like steering with rudder pedals, pulling back on the Ch yoke and watching the nose lift off of the runway ! Afterall that is what real pilots do. Saying all that I wish someone would create an affordable force feedback yoke. One does exist but at a cost ($500) !

Guest gasebah

Nitram,could you pls tell us where that FF Yoke you are talking about is available? I'd like to check it out.Alex

>It depends on what aircraft you use. I have the logitech >force feedback stick which I no longer use. I fly mainly I was mainly thinking about lighter prop planes like the Cessna.

I just unplugged my MS FFB2 stick tonite because it sorta works but it doesn't center (ever) and it doesn't really add a lot to the sim. I use a CH Yoke USB but I am going to get mesself a good old fashioned non-FFB MS stick because their latest non-FFFB stick is sensational--smooth, accurate, easy, self-centering (!) and reliable.Chuck the FFB.JS

jfri:I think that there are some advantages to FF. You will learn to use the trim better, since if the aircraft is out of trim you actually will feel the forces on the stick. The forces are a bit whimpy though but I prefer it over non-FF. I whish I could get some feedback (no pun intended) on how to tweak the forces, but nobody seems to know.In the replies that you have received here, some people complain about the non-centering tendencies of the FF stick. Personally I find the spring loaded centering of conventional sticks or yokes as unrealistic, IF NOT MORE unrealistic as the FF stick. In a real aircraft the yoke/stick does not center completely either(although it will center to a certain degree because of aerodynamic forces).As for the complaint that most aircraft do have a yoke, not a stick: Pushing forward and pulling backward gives the same effect for both controllers. The difference that you turn the yoke and push sideways for the stick for banks is not that big.I would also buy a rudder controller. The thing is that larger aircraft have a tiller for nose wheel steering. The nose gear is not connected to the rudder pedals in these aircraft. The FF yoke lends itself perfectly for this task (twist the stick and the nose gear turns). In real life the rudder pedals are not used on the ground until on take-off roll above a certain speed (when the rudder has become aerodynamically effective). Actual airline procedures require you to keep your feet flat on the floor until that point.The only thing that I am missing is a multi slider controls, MSFF has only one. But then there are separate controllers commercially available or you can make them yourself.My setup is: MSFF 2 stick, CH Pro USB rudder pedals (I do have a CH Pro yoke, but I never use it).Good luck,Onno(Real life pilot)

>It depends on what aircraft you use. I have the logitech >force feedback stick which I no longer use. I fly mainly >'heavies' and I use the CH usb yoke (and pedals) so the >joystick is redundant. Airbuses use the joystick for control >but I believe that they do not offer any feedback forces in >real life. I found that after intial use the effects are >quiet boring. There is nothing like steering with rudder >pedals, pulling back on the Ch yoke and watching the nose >lift off of the runway ! Afterall that is what real pilots >do. Saying all that I wish someone would create an >affordable force feedback yoke. One does exist but at a cost >($500) ! Nitram:Where can you buy that yoke/who makes it?Regards,Onno Bulk

Guest Eagle92395

I really enjoy by FF2 joystick, but I fly fighter jets and turboprops. Flying at 35,000 feet just doesn't thrill me unless I'm dropping some lead on baddies!! For canyon flying, stunt piloting or just messing around, the FF is great. When I land awkward (one wheel first, or a bit hard) I know it and I pay for it by having to fight the stick.

Guest nitram

I can't remember the name of the force feedback company. It was about two years ago that I found them doing a websearch. Perhaps the cost prevented it taking off (no pun intended). As to the cessna question, I may be wrong but I thought cessna's have yokes? although alot of kitplanes, gliders etc use a stick. I do not think that the force feedback generated by the stick is 'real' just more like a resistance to the direction you are trying to move it. The only effect that seems real is the stick shaker when going into a stall (heavies). The other effect is a lot of bumping when taxing. I don't think that real aircraft would experience this due to steering via rudder pedals. My opinion is still the same and the stick is sitting on my wardrobe ! If you are only using a stick with auto rudders, you are missing out on a realistic experience anyway. Regards nitram UK

Onno:Good reply and points well-taken !I do wish the MS FFB2 stick had been more "muscular." It is disoncerting to use because of the way it flops around when pulled and pushed, and does not really begin to center at all. It does "kick" at times, but it is inconsistent and inadequate in this regard.JS

Yep I also think the MS SW FF2 is a bit weak. Well but of course it doesn't center, that's FF joysticks. But what I primarily don't like is the FF system of MSFS, not of the joystick. E. g. when flying IL-2 Sturmovik, the FF effects are MUCH better than that bit of unrealistic ground rumbling.Cheers! :-wavehttp://members.lycos.co.uk/fs2k2/avsim/sig.jpg... under short final 25L EDDFetienne@spindler.deICQ# 99744757

Etienne:The lack of centering bothered me a whole lot with FFB2 stick. For one thing, unless your stick is completely centered when you activate the AP, you risk flying with excessive UP or DOWN trim, or ailerons unbalanced. You really need to hold the stick all the time. This may not be so bad in a fighter jet since one rarely uses the AP, I guess. But in a passenger a/c, one would expect some type of centering to occur, for example, when you bank left, you should be able to release the wheel and have the stick return to center or something close to center while still in the bank. The centering will not be perfect or complete, but there would be some aerodynamic force to center it, no?JS

Guest gasebah

Ahhh.. I am afraid it never made it to the market then. Simware sure do not have it. I made a search in the internet for BKOSE and those are all dead links.Alex

Microsoft has designed their flightsims with no centering on the FFB sticks. That was their call on purpose to satisfy the "real as it gets" crowd. I have the FF1 and it's great. I have the FF2 sitting behind me on the copy machine and it's going on my new system as soon as it arrives. I'm sure that one will be great too. They don't make em' any better. Gonna get the MS FFB wheel for Xmas along with a racing sim. I hope. They really look cool!!!!!!! The wife is demanding that I buy her the Xbox. Compromise, compromise!!!