Sign in to follow this  
KJConlon

Interface for FS and hardware

Guest PoRrEkE

If IOCP is like fsuipc+widefs then what's the big advantage ?Ok it goos faster than fsuipc in terms of network comunication.But where does this compare to CCC ??

Guest Ferdie

No, no... Wideview is a aplication different.Widefs is for connect FSUIPC in remote computers.

Guest High Octane

Kevin EPIC USB would be your best bet... I know its expensive but this makes the money worth. Ask me if you want more explaination.. I will be happy to do so.

Guest Ferdie

When you think in a serious cockpit. You think, (for example), when i turn rotary encoder mcp heading, my mcp display and ND change data in real time... But it not is true now with FSBUS+FSUIPC solution. You have mooore delay in this easy operation.If you want play, ok, no problem. But if you want more, you need searh another solution. FSUIPC not is designed for this.A good cockpit not is cheap. You buy five computers, 3 projector, 5 TFT displays, hardware, software, etc. And i want, when i turn rotary my ND and display mcp change in real-time !!This is advantage of IOCP. Is a perfect solution for comunication delays... Other problem is electronic delays. IOCard is a solution for this delay. CCC is other think.In another post, i explain... IOCard not have CCC because IOCard separates electronic of simulation. IOCard software is designed only for electronic configuration and if you want to create any simulation you can use a IOCP server for create simulation and connect to IOCards.If any user develop a "CCC", can easy use a IOCPserver and connect to simulation IOCards or another clients.

Guest coenc

Concluding, we can say OpenCockpits is very simular to FSBUS. It similarly interfaces buttons, switches, rotaries, 7 segment displays, servo's, steppers. It's a DIY job. Differences:OpenCockpits connects with USBOpenCockpits has no need for FSUIPC or WideFS,'cause it has IOCP (faster?)OpenCockpits comes with free glass cockpit software (at least 737)OpenCockpits does without expensive microcontrollers, so needs no flashing, i presume?Is that correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.Guess we'll have to brush up on our Spanish.....

Guest coenc

Kevin,EPIC is out of this age. The choice nowadays is FSBUS or OpenCockpits IOCards.

Guest Ferdie

Hi Kevin !EPIC nowadays does not have any functionality that cannot be made by a IOCard circuit.But IOCards is much more cheap, have more documentation, and have MORE software of simulation.www.opencockpits.com to check this...IOCard not only a free project, is a OPEN project and nowadays have many people developing, or write manuals or tutorials. In last months the people who work in the project have multiplied by four...

Guest Ferdie

Only one think... Opencockpits is a site for open projects of cockpits.IOCards is the Electronic card project.

Guest coenc

>>Opencockpits is a site for open projects of cockpits.>Thanks, of course on 'www.opencockpits.com' we can read all about the product called 'IOCards'.But I didn't read so much about IOCP yet. Also I never saw any screenshots of ON-737....?

Guest Ferdie

In next week, opencockpits present new screenshots of ON-737. In this moment ON-737 is in 70% of project.You can read project ON-737 in :http://www.opencockpits.com/modules.php?na...showpage&pid=15And can download a preview example of ON-737 in :http://www.opencockpits.com/modules.php?na...op=getit&lid=55Can download IOCP specifications in :http://www.opencockpits.com/modules.php?na...op=getit&lid=57

Thanks for all of the advice. The ON-737 look interesting, and from what I can seems very expandable. My goal is not to have a home flightdeck tomorrow, nor is it to have a 739 shell in my basement (wife would kill me), but just to have some more tactile realism to the sim. Just as when I went through my private pilot training, the goal is not the end product but the experience of the journey. I think that I may hedge my self a bit (just get the FDS MCP) an hold off on the interfacing/construction until the Expo in September. Hopefully there will be some builders/vendors there. This should be an interesting undertaking. I appreciate all of the help given and I am sure that I will be back with more. So as they say on TV, Stay Tuned for more...I'll try to post photos as the construction progresses.Thanks and Blue SkiesKevin

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

Guest mbessler

>OpenCockpits does without expensive microcontrollers, so needs>no flashing, i presume?Have you checked prices on microcontrollers lately ?The cheapest PIC over here in Germany costs just 1.50EUR (and thats one-off, end user price).If you buy 2-5 standard logic chips you pay the same or more.Often, a microcontroller can replace these logic chips and more.Yes, you need a programmer for it, but that can be built for just a few EUR/USD. With microcontrollers, you usually need less parts, with in turn keeps the PCB layouts simpler. All of my boards are single-sided with a few jumper wires. Making double sided boards like those from OpenCockpits is not quite that easy to do at home (at least not for the beginners), while single sided ones are no problem. I think its also more complicated developing circuits with a bunch of standard logic chips than if you use microcontrollers with maybe one or two glue logic chips.I do admire how the OpenCockpit guys created those boards just with those logic chips. I wonder how many layouts they went through getting to the final working boards.Manuel

Guest Ferdie

Use of microcontroller not is a problem. :-)IOCards have Two circuits for each aplications. One designed with microcontrollers, another designed with logic chips.You can build a Display Card with logic chips or with microcontrollers. Same with servo-controllers, encoders, etc... (in opencockpits you can download schematics).User not must think if design is for microcontrollers or with logic chips. I think is problem of creator. User must think if have a good price/solution.Logic chips is more cheap. Aprox. cost of a IC is 0.15, 0.20 Eur. But you need more space and more chips. Logic chips technology usually is more fast.

Guest mbessler

Ferdie:>IOCards have Two circuits for each aplications. One designed>with microcontrollers, another designed with logic chips.Stupid question, but: Why do you guys have two variants for each ?Seems a little useless to duplicate work...>You can build a Display Card with logic chips or with>microcontrollers. Same with servo-controllers, encoders,>etc... (in opencockpits you can download schematics).>User not must think if design is for microcontrollers or with>logic chips. I think is problem of creator. User must think if>have a good price/solution.My belief is that there is no "user" (ie. someone who just plugs in his toaster, puts some sandwiches in and presses the button)Cockpit interface electronics is for the cockpit _builder_. Its not a finished product, but something you add your own stuff into, customize,...>Logic chips is more cheap. Aprox. cost of a IC is 0.15, 0.20>Eur. But you need more space and more chips. Logic chips>technology usually is more fast.True that logic chips CAN be faster clocked, but in our applications they rarely are. In my project, the fastest chip (microcontroller) runs 40MHz. For some logic families this is already pretty fast.But there's not much externally running faster than say 1-4 MHz.If I'd start over designing cockpit interface stuff, I'd seriously look into CPLDs and FPGAs. All you'd need there would be one chip and possibly driver chips for the stuff that draws more current than a few mA.Concerning price: That was one of my arguments in my prev. post: double sided boards are usually professionally made. DIY is out of the question for most potential IOCards users.So either someone buys the PCBs from opencockpits.com (where they are cheaper since you guys have a whole bunch made to lower costs) or you have to send them off to a board house to have them made professionally. On the other side, a single sided board can be made (DIY) for under 5EUR/USD in materials.Manuel

Guest mbessler

Ferdie:another question:Did you guys measure the throughput of the USB solution ?I'm really interested in some numbers from Full-Speed USB to compare the difference in speed/throughput to serial port.I know USB can do 12MBit/s but this is just the raw value and is only good for marketing purposes.I'm more interested in how many bytes you can transfer per second, excluding the USB protocol overhead.Has anyone ever tested that ?Serial is pretty easy to figure out.max 115.2kbit/s divided by 10 should give you about 11kBytes/sFrom that you have to subtract the interrupt handling and processing time on the side of the microcontroller.Manuel