Sign in to follow this  
Guest steku

Disappointing results with Alps pulse rotaries

Steku,It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you making a full cockpit or do you want an external radio/autopilot panel like the GoFlight products? I just wanted an external setup and somewhat generic so that it would allow me to use it for different aircraft in a desktop environment. That's why I used the keyboard hack and accepted the limitations of doing so.One way to handle the lights is to use a relay (there are some posts on this board about it if you search). It will allow you to flip the switch on or off and only send one keystroke for each toggle. This keeps the key from staying pressed the whole time. The only problem is that you will have to match the lights, etc. to the correct on/off state to match the switch each time start Flight Sim.Another reason the keyboard hack worked for me is because I am using FSLcd to display the radio freqs./autopilot modes/courses/and status of lights etc. To keep it simple, I just used momentary push buttons for the lights and stuff.

>The downside of all this is, of course, that the whole reason>for going with a pulse rotary switch was to avoid the decoder>electronics needed with a rotary encoder, and this suggests>the need for clean up electronics of roughly equal>complexity.FSBUS uses a software "bounce" filter in the PIC code for switches and my ALPSes work pretty fine when wired to the KEY module.//Tuomas

Guest steku

I know that FSBUS is a solution with great capabilities. But I don

Guest PoRrEkE

I have never heard that you need oscilloscope to tune FSbus !Perhaps what you should do is get a COM3 and a FSKey card from cockpitsonic.deNo need to do anything but order, pay and connect your stuff to it.

Guest mbessler

Erups:>Keyboards are matrixed:>if you push two (or more) keys on the same column or raw, the>controller cannot distinguish them, because it lacks data (in>theory it is possible, but i think no encoder has such a>logic).Well, most PC keyboards don't have diodes built in, so the controller cannot distinguish certain combination of keys pressed at the same time. Often, it shows other keys as pressed, although they are not. This is usually called "ghosting".To prevent ghosting, you add a diode for every switch in the matrix. Thats how most home cockpit interface solutions do it, like FSBUS, ...The diodes basically prevent the current flowing in unwanted directions.Here is a circuit of mine (512 input key matrix):http://cockpit.varxec.de/electronics/img/PICkeymatrix512.png the detail cutout in the upper left hand corner shows how the diodes are hooked up. Manuel