Sign in to follow this  
Guest FlashFly

FMC via a LCD Touch Screen?

Guest FlashFly

Does anyone know if you can run and programme the FMC via a seperate LCD touch screen in FS9? I fly the PMDG 737NG and would think it would be amazing to have the FMC 'by my side' rather than up front on main monitor. And by having a touch screen you could 'press' the buttons with your finger!Does anyone have any experience of getting this to work?I've searched the web and avsim forums and have found little info.I guess the touch screen would only need to be about 7" by 4" (18cm x 10cm) so I was wondering whether any screens were available this size and at what cost?If anyone has any info or websites then I'd appreciate hearing from you.Thanks very much,Phil.FlashFly.

Guest Glenn Weston

Hi Phil,I have just recently thought of doing the same as you have described but possibly with the project magenta FMC, it would certainly be an easier solution compared to building a special keyboard but possibly more expensive, touch screens emulate mouse clicks so if the software supports mouse clicks you should be OK.One problem can be that the touch screen would have to support multiple screens under windows, so confirm this with the vendor before purchasing the screen.I am considering a 7" Widescreen TFT touch monitor with VGA input, & then using Pivot pro or the latest Nvidia drivers to rotate the windows desktop, you must have VGA in to get good resolution, the composite in only units I don't think will cut it.Have a search on ebay for lilliput 7" widescreen & see what you think.I am just tossing the idea around at this stage.Cheers Glenn.You can check out my Simpit Project here:http://www.simhardware.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33

Guest Gerard

Hello guys,In my cockpit I am using a touchsceen for operating the CDU.I am using Magenta and I have a LCD monitor lying on it's back .On the monitor the CDU and Lower Eicas are being displayed.On top of the screen I have a touchscreen mounted.This is working perfectly.One step further would be lying a CDU top layer on top of the touchscreen with buttons in it.For a pic of this idea go to : http://www.lhshop.nlHappy flying,

Guest RoderickWoolvett

Hello,I have your idea already built and it works great. One thing though I have the FMC on a 17" inch because it's cheaper than a little touchscreen monitor.www.touchscreens.comBest Regards, Roderick Woolvett

Guest FlashFly

Thanks for all the info guys.Glenn - I too saw the Lilliput screens on Ebay. They look good, but I hope to do some more research first to reasure myself that I'm not wasting my money. Thanks for the info about needing a VGA input to get a good resolution. I use a Nvidia 5900XT based card and can run dual monitors. I was hoping to be able to run the touch screen through this. Hope the fact that the LCD is 'touch screen' won't cause compatapility problems with my main monitor.Gerard - I was hoping to get my setup working without the need for Magenta software. I was intrigued by your comment " On top of the screen I have a touchscreen mounted "Does this mean that you can mount a touch screen interface over an existing monitor?Also I couldn't find the pic at the site you listed. Would love to see what it looks like though.Roderick - Thanks for that website address. It's a comprehensive site with lots of info. Would you mind explaining how you've got your touch screen set up? Is it as a 2nd monitor on a single graphics card? On a second card? Or on a second pc as part of a network? Was it easy to set up?Thanks again for the info.Cheers,PhilFlashfly.

Guest FlashFly

Glenn,Just had the tape measure out.That 7" screen might be a bit on the small side. I've resized my PMDG 737NG FMC/CDU to measure 7" (so it looks like it would look on the 7" screen) and I think it'd be hard to accurately press the buttons without hitting one of the surrounding ones by mistake. Have a look yourself and see what you think.I think the screen would have to be larger than 9" to be good. But then this drives up the cost! AAaaagh!Cheers,PhilFlashfly.

Guest RoderickWoolvett

Hello,My FMC it's on the 4th monitor on same computer, runnig under a 32mb PCI video card, and the touchscreen is the add-on type or overlay. It's a pretty cheap solution. Besides yo got the FMC on a color monitor, usually cheaper touchscreen one piece monitor are green monochromatic.I once tried to run the FMC on another PC and never worked. I was using PSS though.Best Regards, Roderick Woolvett