Sign in to follow this  
Guest High Octane

Did Ken Salter scaresus ?/

Guest High Octane

At the last two week, this forum was exciting... so many members posting different topics and replies grows so fast on one same topic. Then for the past two week after Ken salter posted rules on this forum, all suddenly this becomes quiet what happened? did he scare us?you are welcome to make any comments,

Guest Ramsberg

No, not scared. Somewhat disencouraged maybe...Personally I finally finished building my home LAN, with 1Gb ethernet connections in most of the rooms in my house with Internet connection, firewall, separate routed networks for LAN and sim. Ahh, feels nice to be "connected" whereever I go in the house ;-)Cheers!/ Ramsberg

Guest PoRrEkE

I think not. It's quite normal that he did this. Pointing out rules when they are violated is normal. Nothing for us to be scared about. We don't do bad things, do we ? :(Either way .. why so quiet .. maybe all questions have been asked & answered ! Maybe there is a sudden lack of inspiration to ask some more .. who knows !

Guest High Octane

Or isn't that everybody is prepared for summer vacation, don't you think? :-lol

Hi,My personal opinion is that Ken did the right thing. Why quiet? Probably after a active period of questioning, people is building with solutions and answers given here... ;)Well, this is a normal trend! Schools are closing and people are moving to the cottages, getting fresh ideas and strength to continue when autumn rains arrive.Take care,Joni

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

I think the answer is simple...Spring is finally here. So some may be enjoying the Sun more than the cockpit right now. :-)Add that to the dissapointment on several related subjects and you'll clearly understand why.I don't think Ken meant to scare anyone off. His timing was good as the topic in question was indeed going a bit out of hand.And actually it's the first time a warning is issued to this forum. At least during the last years I read it.George DorkofikisAthens, Greecehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpg

Guest PoRrEkE

sun .... cockpit ....might be a plan to move mine outside for a change .. if it were only to look good with the sunglasses :(:-cool

Guest SHORT360

Historically the forum is the main public place in the city where people meet and discuss any matter including controversial matters. Thats' the fundamental of the forum.There are indeed on internet some reel FREE places where anything can be discussed and sometimes the words used are simply expression of some uncontrolled emotions. It's not that bad. We are not robots, we are human beings.We are in a sensible area because a lot of our opinions may have unexpect effects on what's called "The business". In fact as said in a thread I started there is TOO MUCH business involved in our hobby and BUSINESS is going to be the main purpose of the forum. That's good for AVSIM, as long as we are always sharing good experiences we had with commercial vendors advertising on the main site.I have been personnally ejected from some forums simply because I had negative opinions abouts commercial products. I had some thread censured even on Avsim simply because I gave my opinion on a payware plane which was to good FS plane what military music is to good music. But at Avsim is a place where everything has to be "politically correct".It happens that I was hurt in my life by others and some times after I just had to admit that I was wrong and the contractictors were right. I learned about. That's the essence of a forum.I just do believe that a forum where everybody must be nice, gentle, is not a a forum alive, but a dead one.Just the humble opinion of a 53 years old man believing that the truth comes out after controversial discussions and polemics. No need of forum cops.Roger

Guest PoRrEkE

I have to say that I agree with you for a quite big part.It is true that arguments and dissagreements are part of living and people meeting. I think it is not wrong to say something bad to someone on a forum. We are not brobots and if there is a conflict an open discussion is the only way to get over (or arround) it.Then on the other hand it is nothing but correct that the discussion was ended by the OP's as soon as there were threatnings.So I think here everything is OK. Compare this to the forum of simcockpit.nl ... if you read some about it here you will know that there was a problem with the parts ordered in November last year which are still not delivered. It is quite normal in my view that people start talking then about possible scenarios of what might be going on. Even when people have an oppinion that might be offending to the organiser of the webshop .. these people have the right to give their oppinion. It is NOT up to the organiser to DELETE these posts or to lock them. It is up to him to PROVE THEM WRONG. Deleting posts give only more bad feelings. Not only to those whom already felt bad but to those whom still had a little faith left.That's my view. Avsim is not bad at all. On the other hand I am not happy at all with the way the simcockpit.nl forum is managed.

Roger,This is a reply from a 56 year old man who is seeking clarification on the last two statements you made in your previous post.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest PoRrEkE

Again I must agree :)My other post was more on fora in general. This very forum here however is amongst cockpit builders and when talking about stuff to make and how to do it we should never get into polemics (?). That's why it hasn't happened at all untill now.If however there would be a political fora or some other fora there it should be possible I think.I feel that here the only thing that could lead up to arguing is when people advise interfaces to new users :( Might be, doesn't have to be. I think on that subject, we have to check what the new persons intentions are, then give him all the options possible form him and then let him chose.Either way:Discuss

Guest Ken_Salter

It was definitely not my intention to scare anyone here.That was the first time that I have had to do anything in this forum.I attempt, in my moderation duties, to let discussions happen. Even arguments.But everything must remain with the Terms and Conditions, which means no abusive language, or threats. That particular thread had both of those and more.I also allow complaints against commercial vendors. However, I have to watch these carefully since some of those threads will descend quickly into abuse.So, in summary, please don't be scared of me! :-lolAlso, if you ever want to discuss my moderating abilities, or have a complaint, I highly encourage you to email or pm me. I welcome constructive criticism.

Guest High Octane

That what I'd like to hear Ken :-lol Since I was boy, my father (US marine corp, colonel) always tell me. if anyone is older or has more experience than you like coach, boss, or teachers.. LISTEN to them, accept their words and take their criticism. This is where you will learn between right and wrong. There are sometime they may be wrong, if you know it, DO NOT ARGUE, but to propose or share it out in manner way, and discuss with them like a professional gentleman. That would be the best law of solution. You know, I have to agree with John... He's right, Because I had that experience before. Few year ago, when I was new to this fourm. I proudly posted picture of my work, the idea that no one ever bring up. I was hoping I could get good feedback, applauding, or having someone ask me how to do this. But no, instead,t I get a few mocking, horrible critizing, or putting me off at embarasment moment. THAT get me feel rejected. and told myself, I will never visit that thread again. Not only that, but I also put the work I did in trash.I returned to this thread about 2 years ago, of course changed user name to avoid embarassment. I begin to notice this thread is getting much better than the last time I visted. I could see everyone posting ther ideas or their work and receive lot good feedbacks. This is when I finally became more comfortable becoming frequent visitor to this thread. BUT still does not feel comfortable to share my idea of my work.. and is afraid I would get back remarks again. It sure did leave a bad mark in my head.So basically, this discussion thread or topic should get everyone involved with good feedbacks, advices, or suggestions. So our hobbies community can just continue to grow instead becoming "endangered species". I do know, there are some pro-builders who do not want to share out ther works to others, just because they have experienced that someone took advantage of their work and put it up in marketing. This would probablly be why they do not wnat to get involved anymore.

Guest SHORT360

John,I agree totally. You explained with a full mastered language what is for me a bit more difficult. (I am french, sorry but nobody is perfect);)I am known as a gentleman in my private and professional environement.I am know also as someody with psychological skills and behavior.But sometimes I can show my teeth and bite when somebody rides on waves of injustice, lies and greed, the three thing I hate the much on earth.Cheers,Roger

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

True...Even I dread to put up pictures in case someone turns round and says something, even though I probably deserve it more than anything ;)However, something along the lines of "It's a good idea, BUT..." seems preferable to "It's horrible, you should have tried this..."Not everybody has the means or the money to create the most amazing home cockpit ever devised, so those who shun people who try within their limited means should hang their heads in shame. I doubt I could ever afford both the space and materials to build such a behemoth, but to me just a simple layout is better than nothing, and a hell of a lot more enjoyable than just a joystick, keyboard, mouse and monitor ;)I'd seriously encourage people to present their ideas and projects, not only does it make those just starting much easier about their position, but it also has the possibility (and has done so in the past) of giving everyone else so much more ideas and techniques to improve their already basic cockpit.This forum is about sharing ideas, not just for showing off your prized office!So I dare anyone to try and badly criticise me and my ideas. All they'll get is a two fingered salute if they're lucky! ;) All I ask for (and I hope many of us here feel the same way) is that you try and encourage this strange hobby of mine, and not hold back on ideas that could make even just one person the happiest man/woman alive :DAnd if you can't give out your secrets, just give a few pointers! Don't just say it's rubbish, say why, and offer tips on improvements. If you find one material better than the other, and someone has problems with a material that just doesn't quite work, say so! If you managed to make some buttons that look like the real deal, don't just say it's a secret, tell us what you used! Most of us probably won't figure it out, but then that's half the fun of designing :( You don't have to say exactlyhow you did it, just say you moulded it from such and such a material. Complete design processes are useful, but you don't have to give it out if you don't want to...All in all I'd say this is a very nice and well-knit community, where everybody looks after each other. I pity the souls of those who keep everybody in the dark and gloat about their "high-tech and expensive" cockpits. It's not in the best interests of this forum, although coming on and saying "Hey! I got this! How cool is that!!" is very much appreciated and gives us something to aim for!Heh, I'd best stop rambling before this thing times out... :-grr