Sign in to follow this  
Guest PittsburghII

Starterkit

Guest PittsburghII

Hi All, I have once before decided to start building my own home cockpit. For some reason, I never got started, but have now decided that it is time to do so. I am wondering if there are any starter kits with respect to the hardware needed for the receiving computer. I have read several sites and it seems that FSBUS is a good option for me. Can on buy the interface cards already made (I, unfortunately, don't trust my soldering abilities -- especially since these boards need to go into the computer)?Thanks,Pittsburgh

Guest PoRrEkE

no boards need to go INTO the computer, let that be clear ;)only there is the Hagstrom keyboard card which is made "like a PCI" card which you could mount in your pc but will have no comm. going on via that PCI slot. That's a good trick from Hagstrom to give you the chance to "hide" the interface inside the PC.I think what you are looking for is this:FSBUS can only be obtained finished, flashed & tested: www.cockpitsonic.de (might be wrong spelled)OICards is always finished, flashed & tested (no DIY project): www.opencockpits.com (might be wrong spelled)Photon is finished, flashed & testedwww.iflightsystems.com (hat url i'm sure about :( )Only remark: Photon does not allow potentiometers, no steppers, no relays. But if you don't need those, Photon is yet another option for you as well.o/ I've just checked ... all url's are correct :)

Guest Pittsburgh

Hi Philippe, Thanks for the answer. I have now looked quite a bit (but maybe not enough) at all three sites you gave. This leaves me with a few questions: What is FSBUSII as opposed to FSBUS? Is it just a newer version?I see the cards from OpenCockpits has an option to get the IO card in a USB version. Is the same possible for FSBUS? As I understand it, each of the solutions require at least one "master" board onto which additional boards can be connected depending on what you want to accomplish. So, say I want to build a B737NG Radio Panel, would I just need one "master" board and then as many digital LED output boards as that set up requires and as many input boards (accepting rotary switches, toggle switches etc.) as there are buttons, rotary switches, push buttons on a Radio Panel?Thanks,Pittsburgh

Guest PoRrEkE

The first part: I don't know. I have stopped looking into FSbus cuz I chose to go for Photon myself. IO cards is indeed available as USB version. FSbus I don't know if there is a convertor possible between the USB and the master card .. maybe in the future.As for the rest of your post: exact!1 master card + as many other cards as you need.

Guest Erups

>What is FSBUSIII as opposed to FSBUS? Is it just a newer>version?The old mastercard has some problems, the actual (has been so for almost 2 years now) is the fscomm 3.I don't know why they referred to the old one, all the specs, docs, drawings, and schematics available on the internet are for the comm3.>I see the cards from OpenCockpits has an option to get the IO>card in a USB version. Is the same possible for FSBUS?No, fsbus is only serial port.> As I understand it, each of the solutions require at least>one "master" board onto which additional boards can be>connected depending on what you want to accomplish.Exactly.Please note that FSBUS has an hardware limit of some 31 addon cards per master card.That means that for every master card you can hook up to 31 expansion cards (type does not matter).Should you need more, you should set up another separate computer, with another mastercard and another instance of the software running.Connected via widefs (payware).

Guest Pittsburgh

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Does anyone have enough information as to say which type (FSBUS vs. the OpenCockpit) is better?Thanks,Pittsburgh

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

Hard to say, they both do the same job...IOCards has slightly more versatility than FSBus, and isn't constrained by the 31 card limit.FSBus does have a cool CCC utility which can be used to make up for a lack of options in MSFS, such as the overhead etc.Do what some people do, mix and match... Get the best of both worlds :(

Guest stevelep

www.cockpitsonic.deBuy an USB adaptator for FSBUSBOB

Guest Erups

But...The router software then keeps looking at com ports...How should it work that way?

>But...>The router software then keeps looking at com ports...>How should it work that way?A USB COM-port adaptor he means. I havent tried those but I guess they might work.//Tuomas