Sign in to follow this  
Guest PittsburghII

Airbus style push-pull rotary encoder

Guest PittsburghII

Hi all, As I am still trying to decide what kind of cockpit I am going to build, I was wondering if any one know how to make push-pull rotary encoders as found on the Airbus FMGC for heading selection or speed selection. I have seen push rotaries, but not the combination of push, pull and rotate.Thanks,Pittsburgh

Guest steve_j

Hi!Grayhill sells push/pull rotary encoders. www.grayhill.comregards,steve---------------------------------------------------------------------Do you know the A320 Flightdeck Project? Visit www.a320flightdeck.com

Can you recommand one or two part numbers at grayhill that can do push/pull and that can be connected to "classic' redec ciscuit ?They have hundreds of different encoders, hard to find !!!!!Which one are u using ?

Guess they are these series : Series 62B Encoder.They got push/pull and are optical.Unfortunately they seems completely out of stock.

Guest ricktana

For my A320, I am using the Push/Pull Encoders furnished by Flight Deck Solutions; www.flightdecksolutions.com. If you e-mail Peter Cos on his site, I believe he can fix you up.

Guest Salbado

FDS Push Pull Rotaries coupled to a Hagstrom Rotary 5 coupled to a KE 72 and Project Magenta FCU work absolutely perfect for me.(over 6 months now) ..I have 4 of them. I use standard rotaries for the QNH. Hope this helps.

When i see the attached picture I understand now why they're sold 50$ each. The quality seems perfect, very robust look.Who's using successfully Grayhill ones, however ? They seems simplier, but do push/pull, and are maybe more economic ?

>When i see the attached picture I understand now why they're>sold 50$ each. The quality seems perfect, very robust look.>>Who's using successfully Grayhill ones, however ? They seems>simplier, but do push/pull, and are maybe more economic ? Anything "aircraft rated" is not "economic" :) Grayhill encoders are probably more expensive. But look at the FDS thing - it is very simple and not that impossible to build a similar looking thing yourself. Mount a rotary on a longer shaft, maybe made of threaded rod, put a plastic disc in the shaft between two nuts and washers. Then some kind of a "frame" around the whole thing that houses two microswitches that the disc pushes / pulls when moved, and some kind of a "cage" that allows the assembly to move back and forth a few millimeters but does not let it rotate (so you can still operate the rotary switch)A bit of brainwork, but let us know if you figure out something neat. Check the www.opencockpits.com -> tutorials -> dual concentric rotary tutorial for inspiration. //Tuomas