Sign in to follow this  
Guest dirk1000

Help Wanted for connecting switches to a USB Keyboard

Guest dirk1000

Hi gentlemen.I just bought a new USB keyboard for

Here's one link...http://dragonsden.emuunlim.com/ddkeytutl.htmand here's another...http://www.777project.cjb.net/Basically, when you open the keyboard up you will find that the circuit board has two connectors that go to the keys. You can think of these connectors as the 'rows' and 'columns' of a grid, and connecting, say, row 1 to column 5 would be seen by the computer as a 'B', or whatever.Each switch therefore needs to be connected to one wire on each connector to send a keystroke. The other thing to remember though is the issue of ghosting - because it is a grid, it's possible for making multiple switches at the same time to also provide a path to make a switch you haven't actually pressed. You get around that by wiring a diode into each wire so that currnt can't 'backflow' to make a ghost path.Richard

Guest kdfossum

Wow, I got all excited now. Sorry Dirk, but I was looking for the same information. That link you gave Richard is great.My extra keyboard is not USB, is that ok? There are USB connectors avail right, to make it work on a USB port?Regards,Kevin

There are yes, but you can get a USB keyboard for about $10 so why bother - the adapter would cost as much.Richard

Guest Thebaron

I have some items on Hacked keyboards and photos on my web site.....check the "Hacked Keyboards " secion and the "Cokpit Photos " sections for more stuff, also for a small program to help finding the keys one the hacked PCB.http://www.outbackdigital.com/737cockpit/Regards Terry O'Brien

Guest dirk1000

Hi Richard,Thanks for your response. Your explanation is very clear. The links helps a lot. I will let you know about progress.Best regards.Dirk Trotteyn (SANT)

Guest dirk1000

CaptainKebec, Glenn and Terry,Thanks for your replay and for the good links.All helps a lot.Best regards.Dirk Trotteyn (SANT)

Guest kdfossum

I just realized how horrible I am at soldering now...getting those wires to stick to the circuit board is not easy. Maybe it's my iron, or maybe it's just me. LOLI'll keep trying though.Kevin

Guest mbessler

>I just realized how horrible I am at soldering now...getting>those wires to stick to the circuit board is not easy. Maybe>it's my iron, or maybe it's just me. LOLMaybe not enough flux. Not long ago I realized that I didn't really know how to solder although I've been doing it for years :(Get some fresh solder on your iron. Its amazing how much flux helps. I learned that just a few months ago. Manuel