Sign in to follow this  
Guest PoRrEkE

How to fix a yoke to a pole ?

Guest PoRrEkE

Anyone has an idea how to fix a yoke to a pole in such a way that it is good quality but still moves good ? And how do we transfer the movement to a pot ? Slidepot or rotating pot ?I have no idea yet how I would make a better replica of the real yoke and the way mine is fixed now is crap. If I'm not carefull I'm sure I will rip it off in no time.

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

Rip it off.... Write it down as control failure, squawk 7600 and issue a mayday before you hit the deck ;)Certainly more interesting than just flying from A to B!

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

But seriously, you might want to consider using pots that are more sensitive to smaller movements. A 500k pot will give you much more sensitivity over a smaller range of movement than a standard 100k pot.As for mounting, you could mount the yoke to the pole by the pot, but then it may break easily. Best bet is to mount the yoke onto a rod that sits in the pole, and turns the pot by a gear. This also gives you much better control over range of movement on the pot, as the bigger the gear, the more the pot will turn.

Guest PoRrEkE

Ok, thnx .. but that's the fixation to the ground .. not the yoke to the pole .. :)Care to take another picture ?I have something similar than what you got on that picture but then with a rotary pot.Ow .. I think I just found a solution.What if:I attach the rod to the yoke and make it come out inside the pole. So when the yoke rotates, the rod rotates. Onto the rod inside the pole I put a bike gear rotary. Exactly the same goos into the bottom of the pole on a fixed rod. Then a bike chain goos over both rotarys. Half way down I can simply put a slide pot with it's little pin pushed between 2 things of the bike chain.Kinda probably the way people do it when they got 2 yokes which they connect. Not sure if I'll be going that far with this though.Don't even know if I'll build some sort of stage to put my sim on or just fix it on panels.

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

Roughly what I suggested... Nice to know our ideas are similar :(

>Rip it off.... Write it down as control failure, squawk 7600>and issue a mayday before you hit the deck ;)Sir, it's 7700, 7600 is for radio failure =)"Seven five - man with a knife,Seven six - radio nix,Seven seven - going to heaven."so, 7500 is hijacking code, 7600 is for communication failure like mentioned, and 7700 is the emergency code.For Philip, SHORT's idea is good - the car or washing machine suspension thing is a good way to add the heavy feeling - and make it out of metal, use inline skate bearings or such like he has, to make it *sturdy* - the rest of the cockpit can shake a bit, but the yoke and pedals - they need to be strong and feel heavy if you want to feel like flying something that weighs several tons. CH yoke and pedals are mere toys if you think of this that way. Better than nothing of course, but just too light, and too inaccurate for serious flying. Make the movement of the yoke be about 20cm in elevator axis (easy wiht the long pole) and 180 degrees for the aileron, and use the "MiniME" controller for that if possible - or your joystick pots. Something that does not shake like gameport. This gives you a more realistic control where you can adjust the plane with just very small movements of the yoke and thus combined with the heavy feel, it should be pretty cool. You probably need centering force to the yoke though - it works without, but it is very hard to trim the plane for approach as if you poke the yoke accidentally then you have it all messed up again..//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

Tnx you guys.I will take it to the local bike shop in a few days. I'll ask him what he has for me or maybe what he can do for me ..I'm looking for good pics of a bike-chain based construction. I had seen 1 around from I think someone from Scandinavia but I'm having hard time to find it back now. I'm checking all the sites from the registry.. no luck so far.

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

>Sir, it's 7700, 7600 is for radio failure =)Oooooh bugger, knew it was one of them :(

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

OMG! If I didn't know any better I'd say he's far too happy with what he's got there... I reckon there may be some ulterior motive for that equipment ;);););)

Guest PoRrEkE

It looks simple enough but that's what I was looking for. Why make it complex when you can have it simple. Even if you change his design a bit, there is no need to put your sim on a platform and still have linked yokes. A bike brake cable can be fixed on a board and taken anywhere you like, any way you want.

Guest PoRrEkE

I figured out a very convenient way to do this :)Maybe like all good inventions I make, they have been invented before by others .. maybe this time I'm lucky and will be the primo :(Here's what I use:2 front axis of a bikes weel.These I'll fix into the pole of the yoke. On the front side I'll put the yoke on the center bolt of the axis. On the back side I'll put a 4 cm diameter rotary for bikes. Those do have 1 problem. The inside cercle of the rotary is +/- the same as the outside. So these can not be fitted on the bolt. Thus first I have to put a round disk of metal with a holl in the middle (don't know the name) which has an outside diameter just a bit more than the inside of the rotary. Found them at local "brico" DIY-shop. Now I left the rotarys and the round disks at the local bike shop. The guy wil "brazere" the 2 together. I had never heard of it but it's something similar to solder but with kopper and higher temp. In this way he will not have to melt any of the 2 pieces I gave him.Et vwala !Is this a good idea or not ???