Sign in to follow this  
Guest barkode20

Rotary switches-What could I use these for?

Guest barkode20

Hi everyone,I just got some rotary switches from all electronics and am wondering how I could hook them up. Here's a link to the product page:http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=700425&item=RS-129&type=storeI just tested them out and as I figured, they didnt work as a knitter rotary.(I could wish, right:)) Anyway, when you hook the middle two leads up to a multimeter and twist the switch it steps down each click with a drop on the multimeter. It basically has 6 different outputs. Anyway I could interface these? Not a biggie if I can't, I only spent a buck for 5 of them. I can post pics of the inside of a switch if anyone is interested.Thanks,Spencer

Guest Raafie75

Hi Spencer,Sounds like to me thats it a binary encoded switch, not entirely sure though. Tried looking for a spec sheet but they don't have anything available as I'm sure your aware. You'll need to get some more info off All Electronics to find out its output.Not a great switch for tuning if thats what you had in mind. It only has 8 detents.Regards,

probably the output will be something like thisdetent output1 0 0 02 0 0 13 0 1 04 0 1 15 1 0 0 6 1 0 1 7 1 1 0 8 1 1 1 in that case you will need additionally hardware.other possibilitypin 1 an 2 puls on and of continously when turning clockwisepin 2 an 3 puls on and of continously when turning counterclockwiserotarys behaving like this second example normally have 20-36 detents, so I think the first possibility is most likely. Perhaps you can measure the output.regardsnorbert

Guest PoRrEkE

Hoi Norbert,The second switch you discribe .. which one is that ?Cuz if you'd use pin 1 and 3 only this would make a perfect rotary encoder.The ALPS I have give 12 12 12 in one way 21 21 21 21 in the other way

Guest barkode20

Hi again,I hooked the middle to leads into my meter and it outputs in a strange way... The first click continuously outputs 1000 ohms, the second 2000 ohms, the third 3000 and so on until the seventh click and 7000 ohms, then it starts over again. Not something I can hook into a decoder or anything too easily. Oh well, it was worth a shot:)But if anyone has any idea on what I could do with these I'd appreciate it. Would make a simple dimmer switch for something small like an LED maybe :)Thanks,Spencer

Guest PoRrEkE

Hi Norbert,It is the SRBM1L (not srmb1l ;) ) from elfa that does it.Clockwise rotation provides contact between pins 1 and 2, while anti-clockwise rotation provides contact between pins 3 and 4.If you hook your ground to 2 and 4 ... you'd have perfect output.price 4.73 per switch if you order more than 10.Aha and the MRP1 20 does the same with 3 pins. Let me check the price of that one ..Ow that's "price on request" .. from spoerle.comOh well, either way, for now I'll keep going with what I have from ALPS so far. Got the wrong ones so it seems but ... first I'll have to pay those 78 euro for my Photon and then build my new frame. We'll see from there.