Sign in to follow this  
Guest PoRrEkE

c'mon DakenSky !

Guest PoRrEkE

Last news update to their site 15 may .. that's almost 1 month ago .. stating that they were almost ready to kick off.I am so curious to know their prices and what exactly they will sell.I've sent a few mails during the past year to ask some questions and I have to say .. very friendly people .. much unlike Pete Dowson (sorry can't help it but think he's an ********* :( )Anyone knows more 'bout DakenSky ?

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

Oh dear, I can almost sense the abuse that comment could get :(Mind you, he does have a lot to do... FSUIPC isn't exactly a simple dll to code/improve, you know :( Plus he probably gets a lot of emails too!

Guest PoRrEkE

yap sure he does and respect to him for all this. for making fsuipc, for coding it over and over again for different fs version. for giving feedback to every single post in his forum. but i just don't like his tone ! that's all.nearly all his posts are "what ? you get it all wrong, read the manual"while I'm very sure that most people actually have checked the manual. if they don't understand after reading it a few times, means that they require more help and thus do not want to be "send back to the manual" or the manual just isn't clear at all!it's a strange man I thinkg .. he IS patient enough to keep answering all your questions, even if you get it all wrong at first .. on the other hand the tone in which he replies seem to indicate that he is NOT patient.very strangehowever, sorry 'bout my remark, shoeldn't have posted that.

Mind you, I do have alot of respect for Mr. Dowson and all he has contributed to our hobby, however...I did have reason to email him awhile back concerning a typo in a readme file that caused me alot of grief. His reply to that email left me rather cold and I can understand how others may come away with a negative attitude. If anything negative can be said of computer communications, it would be the inability to judge how a written word should be interpreted. I came to believe that no malice was intended, but at the time, I thought him to be extremely rude.That said, I didn't bat an eye when FSUIPC went payware, the man deserves a payback for all he has done for us.Just my two cents

>while I'm very sure that most people actually have checked the>manual. Dude, most people do *Not* read manuals. Believe me. Try doing some tech support work sometime and you dont even doubt it anymore :-)//Tuomas

Guest Boykeb

Hi porreke,Dakenskys is a new company started by Ken Weiland, as you can read on his website for home flightdeck building. he used to be a big man in toys industry. Believe me, this man will be the new sensation Ken has the ability to produce all the products in his own small factory. There is nothing he can't make (for flightdeckbuilding of course ;-) ) His assortment will be from panels to the controls needed for several airplanes, he is even working on a motion platform.He will write his own interface software to drive all the hardware he will produce. BUT he will start making panels and knobs and things. I already received an B747-400 EFIS panel, this was an early one, but it looked really fine to me.He will keep me informed about the production schedule. I am really looking froward to see some more products.Reagrds,Boy Bruin

Guest PoRrEkE

Indeed.I had some conversation with him trough e-mail. He said that he would not at all exclude the posibility that he might one day make panels for a/c like Fokker or other less popular planes with cockpit builders.I think it's very sad though that there will be again a profi panel producer out there who will add .. yup .. yet another line of b737, b747, airbus ................ panels and only THEN look after other people.Don't get me wrong, I am very happy that he's going to do this. I am happy for the comunity cuz more battle on the producers playground trying to get customers is only good for us.However .. if there would be someone making profi looking panels for F50 .. even if not backlit, I would SEIROUSLY concider getting them! CNC made panels just look waaaaaay better than what I can make.It's exactly the same I think as with software for FS. You got all these payware packs. a320 PIC, PSS, 737 DF, PMDG, ......... Only NOW do they start to dare to go for other planes as well.Check the 'ol 707 .. the Cessna Citation ... etc etcIt's time for some dude out there to take the risk to make other panels from day 1. Cuz now we have the stepper made possible by FSbus enabeling us to use analogue gauges. So why not a300 ?! Why not Fokker ? Why not Dash 8 ? Why not MD11 (which has if I'm not mistaken got a glass cockpit .. why is there no HC around ??)As STORK puts it:Now is the time for FOKKER:(

Guest mondo

What website? Is this a new one? Link please? Milt

Guest PoRrEkE
http://www.airliners.net ?that is "as old as the street" my friend(not sure if you say this in english but it's a valid expression in dutch :-lol )Either way, on the DakenSky subject:just re-read one of his mails and he made the point that the reason why he doesn't do "unpopular" cockpits first is that he has not samples to work from. he wants real parts if possible so that he can easely reproduce. that's a good point he makes ..sad though .. if I find a F50 panel I will rather use it myself than send it to him so that he can reproduce :( then I would have to have everything double and then I would gladly share :D

Guest Erups

Haven't you tried your luck on a laser engraver near you?Maybe this way you can have your panels :)

Guest PoRrEkE

The stupid thing is ..In my school you can do 3 things: MCT (multimedia etc) IO (engineer) or IPO (industrial product design) Therefore there is quite a lot of machinery available in my school.To get back to what is stupid:There is a CNC machine on display in the hallway .. unused .. just for "show" :-grrthat's frikin' tortureI think one would be allowed to use some of the machinery there IF you are either able to operate them yourself in a proper way. That's not my case .. at least not this year.As a current MCT student we don't go near those machine rooms at all so I have no clear view of what they have and I have no idea at all which teachers use them.Next year I should get to operate some of them when I change to IPO. Then probably my new teachers will be able to inform me if it is possible to make some use of them outside school hours.The thing is .. I have no idea if someone could/would help me cuz making all my panels on a CNC machine could take some time ..Dito for the PCB scenario. Quite sure that there are some dudes in my school that make their own PCBs .. though no idea how to find them.

Guest Erups

Herm, i was talking about professional engravers :(Those who usually make insignas or plates...Panels are easy if you have a laser engraver, with a standard cnc i don't know...The process i have in mind is this:you take a piece of transparent plastic (lexan, plexi or what you have), and cut and drill it (cut to dimension and shape, and drill necessary holes for buttons, and the likes).After that you will need two different color layers:first black (probably more then one application)second the color of your panel (again probably more then one application).After that you load the graphics, letterings and markings data in the engraver, and let it engrave just a fraction of millimiter.That whay you end up by removing the color layers, frosting a bit the plastic underneat and in the end have your panel made almost perfectly.I forgot to say that the backside need not to be painted :)Unless you want to sand it all after ;)

Guest PoRrEkE

yeah I know .. but what will that cost eh :/and the CNC was more for the TQ than for the panels ;)also I think if you don't have the letters and lines filled with white, they don't look good in daylight ...ow I fogot to mention: how can I get the squared hols into plexi for the buttons and switches without CNC ?i got my current overhead panels out of hard board .. took me agessome other panels are out of the PVC plate, but I think those still don't really look like real panels.. maybe I should try painting them.I would like to end up with something similar to this:http://home.hccnet.nl/r.v.d.wiele/HowToPanel.htmlI'm not so fond of night flying either way so backlit panels is not at all what I'm looking for anyway.I haven't got the tools I thik to make this .. Also I have no idea where to find the materials he uses.I should try contact him.