Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaptnKebec

Flaps and pitch indicator

Guest CaptnKebec

Hi,I'm installing the switches and levers on my Cessna panel. I saw on FS that when you use the flaps or the pitch, a small indicator beside the control is showing the position of the control. Is there someone who had reproduce this in a home cockpit, by using servo motors by examples??Are those positions available with FSUIPC??If nobody had done it yet, I'll try to do it with servos and a little programming.Cheers,

Yes the positions are available. But to make a trim/flaps indicator is other stuff.My flaps indicator is on the EICAS (777) so that is easy. I am thinking on the rudder-aileron trim.Perhaps some sort of direct mechanical linkage between the rudder trim knob to the indicator.0BE0 4 Flaps position indicator (left)0BE4 4 Flaps position indicator (right)norbert

Guest Erups

For a flap indicator that's easy enough using some ready instrument package, like those sold by simkits: just take a fuel gauge, replace the cover and you are all set.Double flap are no use since you can't simulate one side failure.Trim indicators (which have no use since you can't simulate one side failure) are trickier because they usually are not in the "gauge" format.

I don't have a flaps actual position indicator in the real 172 I fly. The flaps switch is a multi-position switch who's position shows the position of the flaps. Checking it's right means looking out the window :-)For the elevator trim indicator, you could indeed use a servo or stepper. The value for the actual trim position in FSUIPC is at 0BC2.You can see a non-gauge trim indicator in my FSPanel app in the library.Richard

>I don't have a flaps actual position indicator in the real>172 I fly. The flaps switch is a multi-position switch who's>position shows the position of the flaps. Checking it's right>means looking out the window :-)>>For the elevator trim indicator, you could indeed use a servo>or stepper. The value for the actual trim position in FSUIPC>is at 0BC2.>>You can see a non-gauge trim indicator in my FSPanel app in>the library.>>RichardOur club cessnas have an indicator - the 152 has a small "stick" that moves next to the lever - you move the flaps lever down, and the stick moves along as the flaps extend.The 172 has a round gauge on the instrument panel since it has just a 3-position switch to extend and retract flaps.We did our indicator to the simulator from the simkits "small gauge" instrument - just wired the servo to FSBUS since Simkits would require to have a whole flap switch thing together with the indicator and we didnt do that since we have the simple switch for operating flaps.http://tigert.gimp.org/tigert-albums/simu_...e/aab.sized.jpgYou can see the whole panel here:http://tigert.gimp.org/tigert-albums/MIK/aah.sized.jpgQuite a challenge to stuff the instruments of a C172 into a C150 panel space - the thing is built into a C150 fuselage..//Tuomas

Tuomas:"Our club cessnas have an indicator - the 152 has a small "stick" that moves next to the lever - you move the flaps lever down, and the stick moves along as the flaps extend.The 172 has a round gauge on the instrument panel since it has just a 3-position switch to extend and retract flaps."Interesting - is that gauge in your simpit the same as the one in your real Cessna? The 172 I fly is a 1972, and the flaps switch is a flat lever that comes down a 'stairstep' slot to select each flaps position, and has no indicator to show where the flaps actually are.Richard

>Interesting - is that gauge in your simpit the same as the one>in your real Cessna? The 172 I fly is a 1972, and the flaps>switch is a flat lever that comes down a 'stairstep' slot to>select each flaps position, and has no indicator to show where>the flaps actually are.Yes, there are different models. The new ones have the "stairstep" too - and our 152 has that as well - the stairstep has the "stick" indicator next to the stairstep. The 172 has a round gauge just like on the sim - and a (on)-off-(on) switch to add/remove flaps (it is non-proportional - you hold the switch down to get more flaps, and you get as much as you hold, the gauge shows how much you have (or you can watch from the flaps themselves of course))Here's a pic:http://tigert.gimp.org/tigert-albums/c172dim/abc.sized.jpgThe gauge is there above the right side yoke, just above the measuring tape, and the switch is right of the mixture lever.(if you do a cessna cockpit, the whole gallery might be useful: http://tigert.gimp.org/gallery/c172dim )The 152 has the more common flaps "stairstep" lever:http://www.mik.fi/gallery/albums/koneet/p1010134.sized.jpg//Tuomas