Sign in to follow this  

It's FINALLY finished - the Grumman j2F-6 Duck

Guest Grey_Wolf

I'm one of those guys with an incompatible computer, both of them. and all three operating systems. Win2k and 98 on an AMD k6II 500mhz with 3dnow and mmx, Direct x 8.01band win 2k in an AMD k6II 1.53Ghz (1800 series) with 3dnow mmx and all sorts of initials I cant remember off hand, Dirext x 8.0.Not only does it bounce on the ground flop loke a fish and eventually explode, but if i switch aircraft in the air to the Duck it flops like a fish and some how gains altitude around 1000' a miniute adveraged out, Its beutiful when paused, I'll look for an air file to "borrow" from another amphib for my own use, hopefully something that starts off near the correct speed paramiters.My apoligies for not being around after the first version, had some medical issues and work to deal with.Having fun

Guest Heather 636

Hi Kenny,This is the first problem I have seen regarding the playback of the Mp3 files.My first question may sound stupid, but by process of elimination, can you play Mp3 files on your computer to begin with.If not, here's one thing you might try. There are many downloadable utilities available that will convert Mp3 files to wave format. As a test, try converting one of the music files to wave, keeping the same filename and edit the panel.cfg file in the music section to read ***music title***.wav instead of mp3.The wave files will be large but this should work if your system cannot playback Mp3's.Good luck!Heather

Guest Heather 636

Oh my God!I just sat here for a few moments in utter shock staring at this!I don't know what to say. Thank you seems like so little. I remember discussing in another topic, when the first version made one of the picks of the month, how that I was almost embarrassed by that one after all the work put into the 2nd version. Was wondering if we'd make it to pick of the month again.I am SO glad that so many of you like what we have put together. My only frustration are the few cases with the "flopping" Duck.This project was NEVER intended to go this far and I have certainly learned a lot and had quite a few headaches along the way, but to see the response it has received makes it all well worth it.I swore that this would be it. I want to learn scenery and leave this business to the "experts." But now you all have me thinking real hard about another classic; perhaps a Lockheed Electra or a Beech Staggerwing. Can anyone tell me what kind of airplane the "Mr. Mulligan" was? I remember seeing a model of it when I was a kid and REALLY liking that airplane.Bear, for the Gold Award I am honored, and very tickled and believe I can say the same for the rest of the team who brought this to bear (pun intended).Thank you!Sincerely,Heather Anne Sherman

Heather,As you can see, I don't post here very often. Your Duck, however, has left my jaw sitting on the floor, and I must weigh in on this one. I usually don't go in for amphibs, but you've corrupted me. :-) A thousand thanks for your hard work. You say you're an "amateur"? I don't think that applies anymore. I've also been following the threads about the bad emails and demanding users out there. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with rotten eggs like that. There are tons more of the rest of us, though, than them. Thanks again.John DC-3 Airways 2nd Officer

Hello HeatherThanks very much for all the hard work you and your guys put into this freebie plane, very much appreciated.Unfortunately, I was another of the people with the "Catherine Wheel" bug. When the plane loads just sitting there on the tarmac idling, the plane immediately starts wildly spinning out of control before crashing. It's weird that some people experience the problem but most don't?To fix it I had to replace the Duck airfile with the Goose airfile, probably not realistic I know, but it did rectify the problem for me.Incidentally, the Grumman Goose I was using had a little problem in that it didnt show the water wake on landing, I had tried tinkering with the Goose cfg file effects section but didn't manage to fix it.I noticed that with your Duck the wake effect did work so I cut and paste it straight into the Goose effects section and hey pressto it fixed the problem, looks so much more realistic now.Anyways thanks again, my hybrid Goose/Ducks are flying nicely now :-) regards Geoff

This little plane looks like the way to tour Hawaii! great job, I am having a problem though. I can only fly the plane if I start it with the flight situation you provided. Any other way I load the plane and on take off it rolls hard right and flips over and crashes even with hard left aileron and left rudder applied. Kind of strange. So for now I will explore Hawaii with LuLu dancing away. Thanks for putting a little laughter in my day!http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...25b2aaaa7ec.jpg

Guest Lindy

CONGRATULATIONS Heather and the DDG team!! Even just seeing the screenshots, I KNEW you'd be getting some serious kudos for this plane. Obviously an honor very well deserved. -Lindy :-beerchug Cheers!

Hi Heather and Crew,Thanks to all of you for the hard work on the new Duck. Really appreciate the work all of you put into her. Excellent job with the documentation as well, text files in each folder explaining where things go. Nice touch.I must be one of the unlucky ones, not only do I have the problem you mention in the readme about the plane spinning out of this world as soon as it loads, but the music player sounds like the techno background noise of a punk rock band. :-lol They play just fine outside FS2002. Turn off crash detection and watch her bounce to the techno music! Pretty wild. :-kewl Sorry Heather didn't mean to abuse your baby.No matter, I changed the air file to the one from the original Duck and she flies just fine. Maybe one of the newer air file mentioned in this thread would be better. I'll have to check that out.As for the music, heck thats OK, as long as the engine keeps making her music and Lu Lu is dancing I'm a happy guy.As a parting thought the file would be approximately 1.25MB smaller without the hidden thumb.db files. Seems to happen in many of the newer uploads. Not a complaint just an observation. ;)Thanks again to the entire Duck Crew for job well done.Yes Heather I do like it.Pepe

Hi Heather,Dl'd the Duck and am impressed up to a point. The visual model is just fine, but the prop needs to be redone. Last time I looked at a spinning prop in real life I could not read the manufacturers name on the blade. This may sound nit-picky but just a tweak on this and it will be as close to perfect as you can make it.Thanks for your attention. :-smile12JAugust

WOW! I'm completely blown away! Anyone reading this thread who has not downloaded this package should immediately do so! I've been flying around all day listening to the music, landing and taking off in the local lakes and generally having a blast! The music is great. I'm a fan of that era big band music and your selections were just right.On thing though, would someone have pity on me and tell me how to"turn on" Lulu!

Have a look on the throttle panel.Or shift and one of the number keys,(not the keypad numbers) not sure which one off the top of me head. Try them all! ;)Pepe

Quick question to your panel gurus (Bill and Bob?). Did you need to get permission from MS to use and rename the Corsair panel, or have you just gone ahead and used it? I'm curious as although I know many developers put together new panels using MS default gauges, I don't know what the score is on using the original bitmaps.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Guest Akflyin

Hello Heather,I absolutely love your teams Duck. You all have done a outstanding job. I really love the way you have incorperated the music. I fly alot of Sim time with music going and your Music really brings in all the Detail, work and the era of Aviation that the Duck represents. I will enjoy you and your teams efforts on the duck for many many hours to come. I believe Father Dumas would be proud ;) Thanks again Dave

Slow and easy on the water landings and you should be okay. Keep the nose up too. :-)

Wow, Bear! A thousand thanks! I had my fingers crossed but never expected a post in the forums even before the Picks were out. This is fantastic. Now you're going to get Heather addicted to working on planes :-lolHeather,If you do decide to do another classic, my blue flames and I will be ready ;-)