Sign in to follow this  
oal331

Other solution instead Hangstrom for my FMC?

Hi,in mu Summer plans is to start making my FMC for PM or PMDG's 737So in my checklist i have already a BW TV monitor 5,5'' and to make a PCB to put the keys and Plexi for the front/external.The only problem is how to make keys to communicate with FS.FsBUS: Propably NOI have already the FsBus, but is not so good with keyboard commands, as it is too complicate and may not support all the special combinations (Shift+Tab+X).Hangstrom KEyboard Encoder: Propably NOExpensive to import it in Greece from USASo i'm looking if there is any other solutions you suggest. Maybe something like FsBus, but with better functionality in keyboard commnads? This solution is prefered as may use this h/w also for other fuctions? OpenCockpits supports keyboard commands without delay, or difficult way to work?Is there other solutions like Hangstrom in Europe, not to hack a keyboard, as it may be difficult to do it? ThanksEddie ArmaosAthens-Greece

Photon IFS allow this.FSCockpit (IFS software) got FSUIPC offsets to go with PM MCDU keys.@+

Guest Mark McG

Eddie,Jose Luis Munoz posted a PDF file to the opencockpits website that has a PCB diagram for the FMC.It also includes a back lighting layer.Currently the document is only available in Spanish. There are also pics of the completed PCB hooked up to the FDS NOVA CDU unit.This looks really impressive.

Guest Erups

IOCards at www.opencockpits.com may be an alternative solution but i never tried it.Also you may ask to Philippe / Porkere who is using Photon cards.

Guest cesurkanat

Another solution is, to write a program and use a few cheap microcontroller. We are already working on and expecting to finish and test it in the mid summer.RegardsRemzi OzturkIstanbul-Turkey

Guest PoRrEkE

I indeed use Photon cards but I write my own software.Scott is most helpfull to get me started on how to read/write to/from Photon. The rest is up to me. Lucky for me (that's also why I chose Photon) is that he uses VB.Net for his code and that's exactly the only language I'm good at.I have no idea what his software looks like but I know indeed that he uses keysends via fsuipc so thus allowing PM commands to be sent.I take it a bit different. I chose to use the "virtual joystick buttons" offsets from fsuipc. This comes down to the same result. Only I can press a button or flip a switch in my cockpit and then in FS on the FSUIPC GUI I can chose whichever output I want (either an fs variable to change or a key to be sent). This proves very reliable indeed.However, I don't know why you don't chose to use the FSbus keys since there are probably many people around that use it. Does it really worke not well ???If you chose Photon, any questions you might have are welcome.Ow and ask Scott if possible to write "gift" on the box instead of the real value you pay :( Will save you a lot on customs.

Or just use keyboardhacking. (old keyboard)I describe it on my website, see "FMC"http://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.boschthe keyboard hacking technique (thnx to R Prather) is described under "firstpanel" , but is used for my FMC too. The FMC runs on a seperate very old PC (PPro 200, very well fitted for that job).RegardsNorbert

Thanks all for your answers,i really don't want to use an old keyboard, i prefer something more "plug & play" :-)Anyway i will look about betainnovations and opencockpits.About Photon solution, do you have any link for it?regardsEddie ArmaosAthens-Greece

>Thanks all for your answers,>>>i really don't want to use an old keyboard, i prefer something>more "plug & play" :-)>Whatever you end up using, it will be "lots-of-soldering,sweat-and-effort-and-play" though :-)//Tuomas

Nico thanks for the link, they have many useful parts there!Tuomas, yes i know about hard job, that's why i was looking the more easy way to do it!! I have already a FsBus system running for my MCP and EFIS and it was really a Big project for me!ThanksEddie ArmaosAthens-Greece