Sign in to follow this  
Guest Raafie75

4Mhz Crystals

Guest Raafie75

Does anyone know if there are any differences with the different packages crystals come in? I've been offered some low profile crystals and I've been using the standard large packaging recommended for FSBUS?Could anyone let me know please?Regards,

Guest spiliot_

>Does anyone know if there are any differences with the>different packages crystals come in?In the industry there are four types of crystals, those of Serial cut, Parallel cut, Higher Harmonics and Programmable.Those that have only 2 pins are limited to the first three of above.Of those Higher Harmonics is only for frequencies well above 20MHz, so for 4MHz you are left with only Serial or Parallel.At 4MHz chances are that 99% of available crystals are Parallel cut, so they all work (actually you have to try hard to find a serial crystal!). PICs and microcontrollers in general require only Parallel cut crystals and if you put a serial one it will just not oscillate, it won't harm the micro in any way.So my guess is to go on and buy!

Guest Raafie75

Thanks Guys, I'll go ahead and buy them then.Brad.

Guest Raafie75

Hey Guys,Got those 4Mhz crystals today and from what I've read on the PDF document these are Parallel resonance crystals. Thanks for the advice. Not a bad deal for 100 of them for $26.00, where in Australia we normally pay $4 each.Regards,Brad Heller.

Guest spiliot_

Glad they are the ones you wanted!4$ dollars each is largely overpriced (as you show). I get one of them in Greece for about .50Euros (or 0.60$), of course quantities of 10s or 100s means greater price reduction.Perhaps you should change your current supplier. If he shells crystals for 4$ I can't imagine the prices on microcontrollers or other electronics stuff!

Guest Raafie75

Its what you get for living in Australia mate. We are all used to it by now but I do buy things overseas when I can get them.Brad.

Guest Erups

I can suggest buying leds lots from china suppliers over ebay:you can get 100 white leds rated at 11000mcd (max) for 24$ shipping included.Not bad ;)

Guest Raafie75

Thanks, I've already bought 100 x orange LED's for my annunciators and need to buy alot more.Brad.