Sign in to follow this  
Guest mmorrell

Building a GPS....

Guest mmorrell

Hi all,I'm finishing up the avionics panel on my KA250. Need to implement some sort of GPS and I thought I'd throw it out to the group for suggestions... I have a 7" VGA monitor, FSBUS and Leo's legacy 64 button interface. I have been thinking about implementing the default FS9 Garmin, but am kind of paralyzed because, as you well know, once you start it's a #### to change your mind and go back and start over :)Has anyone implemented a GPS on their sim? If so I would appreciate any pointers, etc. I looked at the FlightMax and other Garmin implementations and the problem with doing one of those is that I can't get the thing full-screen... the frames are always there, or if you can turn them off, the space that they take up is still there - just black.As always, any help is appreciated!

Guest Erups

>As always, any help is appreciated!What exactly is your concern?If you are in doubt about what actually to do, then i am afraid you have to chose for yourself :)I can't be of much help in this case ;)

Guest mmorrell

Uh... well, have you implemented a GPS in your sim? Otherwise, I guess you can't help much. Understood.Thanks.

Guest mmorrell

Typo there, of course... that's KA350 :(

Guest kdarling

Mitch,As far as black/blank frames, just build your mounting frame to hide them over the monitor.Sounds like a great project... luck!Kev

You could use a real GPS. Cheap to get on Ebay.If they have a simulated mode (most Garmin aviation GPS have them), then you can get the coordinates from FS via pete dowson's GPSOUT.DLLNorbert

Guest Erups

Well it's some time i am in "cockpit building", electronics and software...No i do not have a gps, but i was willing to give whatever i could if it was of any help.No ai problema.Good luck

Guest mmorrell

Thanks Kev, but the problem is that I have 7" monitor for this device so I need to fill the display with data or else it looks crappy and IMPOSSIBLE to read without a magnifying glass :)As far as a real one... I have one for my boat - GPSMAP175 which is a small grey scale display - not suitable for the King Air. To buy a 530 or something I think would be prohibitively expensive, but I will definitely poke around EBay and see what's out there...

>Thanks Kev, but the problem is that I have 7" monitor for>this device so I need to fill the display with data or else it>looks crappy and IMPOSSIBLE to read without a magnifying glass>:)>>As far as a real one... I have one for my boat - GPSMAP175>which is a small grey scale display - not suitable for the>King Air. To buy a 530 or something I think would be>prohibitively expensive, but I will definitely poke around>EBay and see what's out there...>Basically the FS9 GPS is *all XML* - so it is possible to unpack the .cab and edit the stuff to remove the frame - so you get a full-gauge GPS screen. Lots of work, but possible. Anyone want to give it a try? It is definitely possible and would be useful. //Tuomas

Guest mmorrell

Well I looked on EBay and they do indeed have a Garmin 530 for sale on there... $9500. A bit steep for my sim budget :(Tuomas - I have a guy from the GAUGES forum who is looking in to that for me... will advise if he is successful I'll post on this forum.Thanks...