Sign in to follow this  
Guest rprather

Robert Prather speaks...

Guest rprather

I truly, truly, truly do not understand why I have recently become "the target" for personal ethics slander. I truly appreciate the support of those who have stood by me, but you DO NOT UNDERSTAND how upsetting these CONTINUOUS "You are just out for profit" posts are!!! Interestingly enough, ALL of these negative comments come from people I have never done business with, which says a lot about their validity. Out of all respect and honesty, let me make a few points clear...A. I am HURT! VERY VERY HURT, to see the constant negativity that has befowled this hobby. The fact that people can say such things about our efforts is discouraging to say the least. It WILL NOT slow my development of anything, but it IS NOT FAIR for me to help so many people each day, without asking a penny, then to read garbage like I've been seeing in public forums.B. I HAVE NEVER used the HSB registry for commercial gain. The site is, and always has been a neutral site where any simmer or company can sign up. I don't archive or use any e-mails from that site. I have never e-mailed anybody on the registry list for reasons other than to complement their projects. Enrico has his software listed there as well as other companies. AND notice, I didn't put up any banners or extra stuff for any of my sites. Only fair postings, equivalent to all other posts. Is this not reasonable? To even suggest that I would use this site as a marketing ploy, without ANY kind of evidence or received e-mails, is ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY uncalled for and is a MAGNIFICENT insult to all the time and money I have invested into it.C. It saddens me to see the undying support everybody has for other efforts (including some that you've NEVER even seen), and all we get is attacks of personal ethics. I don't demand loyalty, or force users to put up any banners or talk us up in forums. Do you think it's fair that we've spent 200-300 hours developing the A320 Collection, gave it away at no charge, then not even get simple gestures of thanks? In regard to these charges of being "rich". I make roughly enough to pay the rent each month, eat, and buy a few parts for my project. If you knew how much I was making each month, you'd probably feel sorry for me and start donating. But I wake up each morning and get to do what I love to do. That's ALL that matters. If I sale everything "at cost", I will loose my apartment and be forced to find employment. At which time, I will no longer have the time to find/develop parts or answer e-mails. Then you will complain and say our customer service is crap... D. YOU CANNOT IMAGINE how much time and money I have put into my FREE web sites. Between buying all the EXPENSIVE software to develop them (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, MS Access, UplinkEarth), and the months spent developing them, they themselves are my most valued resource. I have kept detailed lab journals, published dimension drawings (removed), and have upgraded digital cameras 3 times in the past year to get better photos. And rarely do I get a note saying, "hey nice layouts!" or "thanks for the cool web sites".E. I don't know where this sudden, "We demand everything AT COST!" mindset has come from. Some friends of mine own a Smoothie King which I buy from every few days. They try to give me drinks "at cost", and every time, I just put the difference in the tip jar. Why? Because I understand they are providing a quality service and their time is worthy of proper compensation. IF you feel my time is worthless, then you do not understand the very basics of "fair compensation", and there is little I can do to help you. There are many very talented builders who have made everything from scratch, including hardware and software. If you don't want to pay the price for professional work, I suggest you follow their instructions and try to create your own works. Then YOU can give them away free at your discression) Since the last public "incident", I have gotten some very encouraging e-mails from members of this hobby. That is why these little "statements" will not run me away. But it is very difficult for me to continue serving a hobby that seems to be trying it's best to run me off for no reason... Name calling is childish and CERTAINLY will not drive prices down . I don't say that to be mean, but the name calling is very disrespectful, and I have served this hobby too many years to have a FEW (it is only an insiginificant few) people trying to ruin my reputation.Respectfully,Robert PratherVeteran Sim Builder...P.S. - If you feel the need to "vent" please feel free to e-mail me so we can talk about it. When the general population reads these slanderous "opinionary" threads, it hurts the reputation that I have worked years to build up and that is absolutely not fair. If you have FACTS to post, that's fine, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop posting these, "I think "XYZ" is a hustler" threads unless you have been SPECIFICALLY done wrong.Thank you Ken for your help in keeping all of this under control...

Guest shg

hi robert!years ago, you helped me a lot in coding VB programs, send over some sources to me etc. so i can proof, that you are a valuable member in the sim community.building up helpful webpages and keep them up to date (simspares, promfd - just to name a few) is a tremendous task. i know that very well, because i am working 22 years in the it business, spending more than 5 years creating web-pages with databases etc.on your simspares site, there is a FREE cockpit shell. its a pity that i live in austria having no space for this baby... :-(there are a lot of cheap parts; and yes: there are some expensive parts as well. but they are REAL and in a good condition. so everybody can decide if he go for it or not.out there are mercedes, bmw and ferraries. but no one is forced to buy one. so should we say ferrari is a hustler, only because we do not have the budget to get one ... ???now, thanks to your site, i am in contact with a part seller (very well known, but no ad's here), and hopefully i will buy a lot of parts in the next few days.please keep up your valuable work in our community, and be sure, that there are a lot of people out there who appreciate all your work very much.ok, that my 2 cent words.best from viennahans g.(LOWW)

Guest captain777

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!There are always a few 'anonymous' people who can't stand the light of truth...and find it too easy to post their opinion, however inaccurate, so the world can see it! If they really had an issue with YOU...they should resolve it DIRECTLY with YOU! If both of you were unable to resolve it...and the topic is of interest to the public...then it makes sense to bring up the FACTS to the forum and see what the rest of the team thinks!Otherwise, it is unfair, libelious (sp?) and of poor spirit.YOU and your work CONTINUE to inspire me and many others. The funny thing is...the MORE people we have producing software and products for this market...THE LOWER THE PRICES!!!!!! Apparently economics 101 isn't taught in all schools!What else are you up to? What can we expect for our hobby? Very excited about the new panels...LOVE the detail...and the prices are VERY fair. (I tried myself...oh, goodness...the cost was double!)

Guest MattOlieman

Robert, It's just not worth commenting on. I understand you are hurt and frustrated with these ridiculous comments, particularly of people that don't know what they are talking about. THEY obviously DON'T know you.Robert, let it go, the majority here knows better. The majority knows the contributions you have made to our community. There will always be people, that feel they have to ridicule or cause conflict. The comments from the originator of this thread is irrelevant to the cause of this forum.

Guest PoRrEkE

I will not argue with what you post here.However just remark that it's sad though that you can only find ferraris and bmw and mercedesses around to buy ! THAT is what is the problem. If you want a toyota or a volkswagen you got to make it yourself from scratch. No such things for sale.That's my biggest concern 'bout this hobby. It's all Airbus and Boeing around and no other options. HOW often do we read people saying, I was wanting to build this but I ended up doing that cuz of parts available.THERE IS A MARKET for other types than A or B !!We are starting to see some RJ or ERJ products from time to time though nothing to get people excited on building that type.Very sad I think indeed.I think it's getting more and more clear. New companys like DakenSky are stating "yeah we go for B and A first cuz that's what people will buy for sure" .. though lots of builders state "yeah we build a B or A cuz there's nothing else to find" ....And that is sad for those who do NOT want a B or an A.

Guest Dodiano

We are with you Robert!! Keep the good work up!!Roberto

Guest rprather

Woah! Master Gene Buckle in the AVSIM forum!! I really am somebody special! I'll see you there G :-)

>Woah! Master Gene Buckle in the AVSIM forum!! I really am>somebody special! I'll see you there G :-)>Hehe. I wouldn't go that far. I'm just a sim geek like the rest of you guys. :)BTW, this is what happens when I get bored and find myself with a Logitec Force Feedback Momo Racing wheel...http://www.simpits.org/~geneb/car1.jpghttp://www.simpits.org/~geneb/car2.jpghttp://www.simpits.org/~geneb/car3.jpghttp://www.simpits.org/~geneb/car4.jpghttp://www.simpits.org/~geneb/car5.jpghttp://www.simpits.org/~geneb/car6.jpgThe seat only cost me $17 or so and the base was made out of a single 2x8 sheet of scrap plywood. I haven't had this much fun playing a video game since I used to play Doom I on Nightmare level with the room lights off. The game I'm using here is Need For Speed: Underground.g.

Guest CaptnKebec

Hi,I'm in simming for only a couple of months, but I have seen great things from you and I just want to say "Keep up the good work" and don't be discourage by individuals who takes all for granted and give nothing to the community.As a programmer I can understand all those hours spent to make those programs and web sites, and wanting some appreciation is just normal.I think that the Cockpit Home builder registry site is a great idea and permits to gather all those who want to share their experiences and passion!Keep on simming!!Cheers,

RobertThank you for your very passionate response. It was warranted by every definition of the word.Like you, I have discovered, that there are those few out there whot feel they are being gouged by this small hobby. The thinking being: "I can buy the entire simulator software for $79 US, why can't I buy a full radio stack, USB compatible, with gas-plasma displays and a 3 year warranty for under $49? It's only the radio stack fer god's sake!"Probably the same folk that express shock when they see the price tag for a Rolex.. "It's just a watch!"

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

Guest PoRrEkE

EXACTLY the problem !There's nothing but Rolex ! Where's the f***** swatch !:(

hehe.. you mean I'm going to have to fly all the way to Colorado to meet G.B., from just a few miles South of where I live?Please, owe me the pleasure of buying you a beer :-)

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

Guest Steve M

Hi Robert,You can't please all of the people all of the time, and as you and many of us know there are some people no matter how much you try to help you just can't please. I have appreciated all the help and assistance you have given me and the inspiration I get from the site

Guest jcuellar

Well said!!!!Keep going Robert.RegardsJaime CuellarMonterrey, Mexico