Sign in to follow this  
Guest Woof

Found ideal TFT monitors for Glass Cockpit?

Guest Woof

Hi All,I recently received my MIP from Flight Deck Solutions and was thinking about what to use for the 6 Glass Cockpit Displays.On Ebay UK, every man and his dog seem to be selling CTX Panaview 540 monitors, 10.4" diagonal. The edge to the tablet is a little wide, but turning them 90 degrees provides a PERFECT fit for the FDS panel (in its 19" monitor configuration).I bought 3 good condition Panaviews for

Many years ago we used CTX monitor at work and eventually the color stopped working and the dot pitch was like .30 - very fuzzy to look at and hard on the eyes.newegg.com lists 19" for $200 us and dpi .23.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Guest Woof

Thanks for the info. I've looked at newegg and the cheapest 19" I can see is $495??? There is a 14" listed under the 19" column for $199 though. In the UK it's worse, with the cheapest available 19" at around

Guest captain777

Hey Chris,Do you want to post some pics...and would you be able to 'share' your new found booty? (well, not YOUR booty...but you know what I mean!)I'd be interested in 3 or 4 if they work ok.

Guest PoRrEkE

Yeah, pics would be great.I have been trying to find some pics or images from what you talk 'bout but can't find nothing. Thus I'm not sure if what I got in mind now is what you're talking about.

Guest Woof

I'm working on the screens right now (6am) and hope to get the first 3 in place and working (Captains PFD, ND and upper EICAS) in the next few hours. It is quite a task, as each screen needs a 'frame' created and have about 5 PCB's (1 large, others small) which need mounting in a way that the wiring still works.I'd never heard of CTX before, but the actual LCD tablets are made by Toshiba, which gives me a little confidence. The fact that a major UK building society was willing to buy thousands of them gives me a little confidence too - they must be at least a little reliable (even though I'm sure they've already had 1000's of hours use).As I mention, the 'polarisation' effect of turning the screens 90 degrees is an issue at the moment. I've stripped the screens from their cases so I can't look into this until they are mounted in the MIP, which , as I say, should be later today.I'll post pics as soon as I have them. Regarding sharing - take a look at Ebay. There's loads of 'em. Once my panel is complete, I'll keep a few spare and offload the rest. As I mentioned, I'm not sure how many 'working' screens I'll have left over as many of them are for 'spares & repair'.RegardsChris.

Guest Woof

First 3 CTX TFT's now attached to the bulkhead frame and Main Instrument Panel. My makeshift ATX power supply no longer fits so waiting for the 'real' powers supplies to arrive. Hopefully later today. Then I can assess the 'polarization' issue.As I mentioned, and as you can see from the uppoer EICAS display, the fit horizontally is absolutely perfect.RegardsChris

>Thanks for the info. I've looked at newegg and the cheapest>19" I can see is $495??? There is a 14" listed under the 19">column for $199 though. In the UK it's worse, with the>cheapest available 19" at around

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Guest Woof

Ahaa, Scott, I think we've got a crossed wire.I specifically want to use TFT monitors (space, weight, look, feel and the real ones use them!!!). The monitor you pointed out on newegg is of course a CRT.I lost my patience trying to find drivers for my MX4000 geforce card which give decent OpenGL result, so I swapped it for my A250LE which gives excellent results. About to try the OmegaDrivers too as I've seen good reviews.Regarding the polarization, this is only an issue if you are looking at the monitor from below. I rotated my screens 90 degees CCW initially. From the centre of the cockpit to the Captains display, this is equivalent to looking at the TFT from below (its fine straight on). Rotating them the other way gives great results (unless you were leaning in the cockpit window and trying to see!). Basically, for the Captains side I rotate 90 degrees CW, and 90 degrees CCW for F/O side. The EICAS screens are gonna have to be mounted conventionally, or one pilot or another is gonna have a poor view. This shouldn't be a problem. The reason the screens were rotated in the first place was because the 'edge' of the tablets are too wide to allow the PFD / ND displays to sit close enough. This is not a problem with EICAS.Anyway, I'll get round to posting those 'working' pics later. In summary, I'm very happy with the results I'm getting (so far) with the CTX's. They are giving a professional looking result for not that much money.RegardsChris

Guest Raafie75

Hey Chris,I've been looking for the same type of screens for a very long time now. The reason I've never wanted to use full size displays is the obstruction of switches and other interface gear directly around the Flight Displays.I'd be very interested in getting some of these displays off you, if you wouldn't mind. Look forward to the operating pics.Keep me in mind!Yours Sincerely,

Guest Woof

Hi,I'm using one PC (a Pentium 3 800mhz) with a single Winfast A250 128mb (Nvidia) card, using both it's outputs (one VGA and one DVI with VGA converter) to drive the Captain side PFD / ND.Will be using 1 more PC for the 2 EICAS displays and a third for the F/O PFD/ND.Running 2 instances of PFD.exe on a single PC is a major headache, particularly as each will need different prefs from a single prefs file! You'll be constantly resizing / repositioning windows each time you reboot.I'll use another PC solely for the FS2004 external view (hoping to do some work with mirrors this weekend so I can have my projector mounted on the floor infront of my cockpit and still have a decent size), yet another PC for EPIC / FSCommunicator and CDU, and a final PC for logic RCDU, MCP and PMSystems - when available.No doubt there'll be a need for yet more PC's but I'm already looking months in advance.Desparately need a yoke and rudder pedals as this is getting a little too advanced for my Microsoft Sidewinder Force feedback2 !RegardsChris

Running 2 instances of PFD.exe on a single PC is a major headache, particularly as each will need different prefs from a single prefs file! You'll be constantly resizing / repositioning windows each time you reboot.----------------------------------Did you try to install the sw twice in seperate folders?In that way you should have 2 ini files, and no need about the resizing I think (that would be a major drawback about this setup).Norbert

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

It should work, as the .exe should use the .ini files found in the same folder that the program was run from.