Sign in to follow this  
Guest Woof

Found ideal TFT monitors for Glass Cockpit?

Guest Woof

I can't say I've tried, but if my PIII is powerful enough it may be worth a go. Bear in mind that I'm already running 2 monitors from 1 graphics card. Running 2 instances of PFD.exe will need another graphics card (PCI, as only 1 AGP slot available) and would only be worthwhile if it too could run 2 monitors.That would give a single PIII with 2 graphics cards running 4 monitors. Not sure if it would be man enough but it's worth a try!Regards,Chris

Guest allistah

>As I mentioned, polarization of the TFT screens has been an>issue, but I believe I've got the best out of them that I>can.What do you mean by polorization? You mean when you sit to one side or another you can't see the screen? For example, if you were sitting in the captains seat you wouldn't be able to see the screens for the first officer very well?-Jaime

Guest Woof

>You mean when you sit to>one side or another you can't see the screen? For example, if>you were sitting in the captains seat you wouldn't be able to>see the screens for the first officer very well?>>-JaimePretty much yes. In fact you wouldn't have to be that far away to notice the effect. Several factors add to the issue:1.) The screens, although 'active matrix' are still a few years old.2.) Rotating the screens from their 'normal' postition - try looking at any other TFT from more than 20-30% or so below.3.) PFD has large(ish) blocks of solid colour. I think this adds to the issue. ND and EICAS have much less of an effect.Again, all in all, the overall result, in my view, is excellent, absolutely usable and, for the money spent, impossible to match using TFT's for anything like the same cost.RegardsChris

Again about the videocard-multpel monitors and running PFD.EXE twice issue.Is it necessary to run the PFD.EXE twice?On my geforce 2 and 4 it is possible to spread the desktop over 2 monitors. This is called NView by Nvidea (sure other manufacturers have something similar).In that way you choose the selection with the PFD left and the ND right. Give both monitors the same resolution and there you go. Just one copy of PFD running.Norbert

Guest Woof

Hi Norbert,You are correct, and that is what I am currently doing (also using nvidia drivers to control both screens.).We were discussing how to display both captain and F/O PFD/ND, hence 4 screens with separate, individually controllable displays. This would require 2 instances of PFD.exe (one in F/O mode). Whether it needs 2 PC's is up for discussion.RegardsChris

Guest captain777

Chris...Can you give us one link for a live ebay posting? I've searched on CTX TFT, but only found one unit!Anything will help. Your experiments look very worthwhile!

Guest Woof

Hi,There are quite a few. Just go to www.ebay.co.uk then the search tab and just enter CTX (dont enter CTX TFT). You should see quite a lot.One ends in 7 minutes and is currently

Guest Woof

OK, the one I mentioned above did go for

Guest captain777

Chris,Thanks for the link. I was using Ebay (US). silly me.I Look forward to the 'unadvertised specials'!

Guest Woof

As promised, here are a couple of shots of the three lower screens (lower EICAS and 2 x CDU) wedged in place. They are about 1mm too wide right now, so will have to plane down the inner edges of the MIP just a tad and it should give a good fit.Note that the 2 outsite TFT's are Panoview 530's, slightly smaller than the 540's.CheersChrishttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/84854.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/84855.jpg