Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ceawlin BSX029

Yet another website, perhaps?

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

Hi guys and girls!A thought had struck me earlier, as I was racking my brains trying to remember some advice someone had given many months ago. After trawling through the forums for ages I finally found something similar to what I was after, but the one thing I'm not happy about is having to trawl through everyone's website trying to find out different ideas.I was wondering, therefore, if it might not be a bad idea to collate anything that may be useful for anyone wishing to build a cockpit, or trying something new.It could be split up into different sections, one for each area of the cockpits. For example, you could have separate sections for the flight controls (covering pitch, yaw and roll, ie the control columns and pedals), another for power ie throttles and associated systems, another for instrumentation (separate for analogue and glass), and various others for things like panels, shells, buttons, electrics, interfacing, software etc etc etc. It won't necessarily be aircraft specific, just general enough to be applied to just about anything.The idea is to have a central place for information, divided into its own relevant topic, so that many people like me don't have to spend hours and hours going back through everyone's website just to find something he found several days ago...What do you guys think about this?

Guest MikePowell

This idea comes up from time to time. It is appealing, but so far hasn't really come to fruition.It's a very large task for a single person to compile all the ideas and suggestions into a single website. I speak from experience here. I've developed a fair overview of home cockpit building on my site, but remain painfully aware of its many omissions and shortcomings. It's difficult and time consuming to decide what's important (because you don't have the time to collect everything), develop a clear, often illustrated article, and add it to a growing site in such a fashion that readers can actually find the material. Basically, one ends up writing a book with an index and table of contents. (Hmmm!)Better approaches would likely involve a number of people. One is to have individuals document their ideas on their personal websites and index their sites in some central site like Robert Prather's homebuilder's registry.Alternatively, an individual COULD build a list of links to homebuilders' sites in the Open Directory Project DMOZ.org . I haven't checked for a while, but I don't believe there is currently an editor for the home flight simulator category. Becoming an editor for the Open Directory Project is on my to-do list. Unfortunately, it's rather far down on that list given my other committments.A shortcoming of both these approaches is that it excudes individuals with good ideas, but no web site. A possible solution is to add to an on-line database of some sort. An example of a structured database is the wikipedia www.wikipedia.org . This is a free, evolving web-based encyclopedia that anyone with web access can add to. I am unaware of any reason why we couldn't add a growing/evolving section about home cockpit building. It takes a bit of effort to develop a good article for inclusion, but the results can be searched and easily accessed.An example of a more easily approached, though less structured database is this forum and its archives. It's easy to add to, requiring little in the way of article development. Unfortunately it is harder to search. Most threads start with a question then evolve through discussion. The key ideas (or "answers") are buried in the thread, and not always just at the end.So,... A lot of rambling here, but perhaps a few good ideas for further discussion. Comments, anyone?Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest Delta767300pdx

Hmmm, I think its a good idea! I'm building my sim now, and could use a site that has all the info I need...kinda like Mikes flight deck but on steriods :)(mike's is a great site) Tho, I do enjoy looking at everyone elses sim pages, it can bee a bit frustrating trying to remember, who had that idea and what was the website, and to do it all on dial up:) ......I am greatfull to all that do have something on a webpage, it gives me hope that some day my sim will be compleated. :) Even if the building site was just a page or two with catagoies and links to there respective sites. dont know? its a idea..but judging from the overwhelming response :) I take it that it's not a high spot in the priority(no disrepect to anyone :)) of things to do...:) it would bring the comunity together, if they wanted it.... we have many great sites out there, some well known some not.Now if anyones willing to tackle such a project...I'm all for ya! ME?oohh I'm building my sim :) (these are the ramblings of crazyman who thinks he can build a airplane out of wood in his house) :)take care allPS for All thoes that have beeen following my progress....the twin column didnt meet my expectations...I'm currently redisigning it. the wires didn't work as well as planned. I'm now working on a solid link up will post more latterz

Guest PoRrEkE

Sure comments :(Lets drift away from the question and start the discussion :(Just kidding.I always saw 3 things as a good "how to" guide.1 is www.mikesflightdeck.com2 is this forum (ask a question, get an answer most of the times, sometimes suggestions or thoughts) most usefull!3 then there are indeed the loads of websites ( RP's registry makes it very easy to find the right site fast, though some improvements should be made, I think)None the less ... lets see ... If one would build a site taking people trough each stage of cockpit building with tips & tricks & ideas & illustrations .. what would be the main index list (+/-) ?- gide for planning (where do we start & how to prepare for action)- gide for cost planning- gide to interfaces (fsbus, photon, iocards, ...)- gide to software to chose from (PM, various panels, widefs, wideview, ...)- gide for tools to use (cnc? table saw, dremel, ...)- gide for materials to chose from (ply, hardboard, metals, pvc, ...)- gide to find real parts- gide to find commercial copys of real parts (fds, agt, ...)- gide to build cockpits:--- list of dimensions--- guide to use 3D software for planning (3D max, Gmax, CAD, ...)--- build shell / frames--- build panels--- backlighting--- build side panels ("blended trim" as Mike calls it on his site)--- glareshield section--- pedestall section--- overhead section--- guide to build and wire up a TQ--- guide to other mechanical parts (gear levers, flap levers, ...)--- guide to analogue gauges (steppers, servos, ...)--- guide to various electronic components (magnetic spring loaded switches, rotary encoders, ...)--- guide to build a yoke--- guide to build yoke columns (linked trough platform based, linked without platform (like mine))--- guide to build pedals--- guide to displays (panel)--- guide to outside view (displays, projection, ...)--- guide to seatings (build one yourself, car seat, airliner seat, ...)--- guide to lights (floodlight, leds, ...)--- guide to other lights (LED, LED displays, LCD's, ...)--- guide to annunciators--- guide to networking (switch, lan, software setup, ...)Don't kick me if i'm wrong but I think this is about it. As you can all see, this is quite a looooooong list on which you'll have to write an article on each topic. Some of which you'll write an article on 3 sollutions everyone tends to chose, some of which you'll have to write an article with a section for every single cockpitbuilder out there.Anyone wanna have a go at this ?

Guest mbessler

>1 is www.mikesflightdeck.com>2 is this forum (ask a question, get an answer most of the>times, sometimes suggestions or thoughts) most usefull!>3 then there are indeed the loads of websites ( RP's registry>makes it very easy to find the right site fast, though some>improvements should be made, I think)Agree :)>- gide to interfaces (fsbus, photon, iocards, ...)not a "guide" yet, but an overview for starters:http://cockpit.varxec.de/electronics/cockp...lectronics.html(an update is in progress, but haven't found time to review and put it online)Manuel

Guest mbessler

Mike,>A shortcoming of both these approaches is that it excudes>individuals with good ideas, but no web site. A possible>solution is to add to an on-line database of some sort. An>example of a structured database is the wikipedia >www.wikipedia.org . This is a free, evolving web-basedI wouldn't do it in the wikipedia directly. But a wiki seems to be a good idea. And they seem to become more and more popular. the wikipedia is more a encyclopedia than a loose collection of information (which is often done in wikis nowaday).Manuel

Guest petrsn

Hello everyone :It certainly doesn't seem a bad idea to have a convenient hub for research, etc although it may seem like re-inventing the wheel somewhat.One very interesting method of laying out such a site already exists (I forget the site, sorry). It uses the "mind mapping" technique...several softwares are available to do this. It allows you to visually organise and present information in a sort of information tree. As you follow your route (or should I say root?) of interest each branch expands to more specific options.Although it's an efficient , intuitve , and neat way of presenting information, care should be taken that it's initially well laid out.Ok....here's the link to the site I had forgotten and guess where it was found...Mikes' Flightdeck links , thanks Mike! It shows how the info mapping method works. http://home.planet.nl/~hwlenf/Something to chew on anyways....good luck.Thomas Peterson

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

Urgh, since I started this topic, it seems fair that I should volunteer... Trouble is, Don't have the means to pay for a domain :(However, if there was one..... I'm sure I could devote an hour or two a day to start with, perhaps a couple a week after that, just to collate data and put it in. If anyone else wishes to contribute, they could send in some stuff for me to shove in somewhere?Anyone else have any ideas?

Guest mbessler

>Urgh, since I started this topic, it seems fair that I should>volunteer... Trouble is, Don't have the means to pay for a>domain :(Since no one stepped forward ... I've setup a wiki tonight. Here: http://wiki.varxec.net/Lets see if this takes off, otherwise I'll take it down again in a few weeks. Well, volunteer.... :-)... all it costs you now is your time. :-)... and everyone else can add/change/delete content as well.I've added a tiny bit of content, just to get started.Feel free to add content, test out your wiki skills in the Sandbox page, or browse around and learn about Wikis.Since a Wiki seems the the best and easiest way for such a "collection of information" we'll have to see if the bomebuilder community likes it.A wiki lives from participation of a whole comunity. So... everybody head over there and your own little ideas... :-)I looked at a few Wiki Enignes (and there are a lot of them) and decided to try out MoinMoin Wiki. The syntax seems to vary a little among the different Wikis, so if anyone has a strong point to move to a different package, then please tell me.A Logo might be something we could use for the Simbuilder Wiki... so if anyone wants to create one, feel free to send it to me or post it in the Wiki itself (Category "Logo Contest").Manuel

Guest PoRrEkE

Ok, if this doesn't takeoff and you remove it, I promise. As soon as my project is finished, I will make a website gathering all the info and typing out all the content.

Guest mbessler

Ok folks... come check the wiki and don't forget to add your own ideas..If you wanna see who changed what and when look here:http://wiki.varxec.net/RecentChangesSo far noone except me has changed anything.Don't be shy. :-)Use the Sandbox http://wiki.varxec.net/WikiSandBoxto learn wiki ('learning by doing').Click the "EditPage' Link at the bottom of the page.This will bring up a textbox where you can change the content.No HTML knowledge required as wiki has a relatively simple markup language which is mostly plain text.Manuel

>Since no one stepped forward ... >I've setup a wiki tonight. >>Here: http://wiki.varxec.net/>>Lets see if this takes off, otherwise I'll take it down again>in a few weeks. This might just freaking work. Wiki is cool. I added a bunch of stuff.Try it folks, it's very easy and fun. It works all the better if you add your cool little $0.01 worth of tricks or ideas - all together it makes a lot more.//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

Where do I put my name ? Cuz when I hit the "recent changes" page it seems done by no-one :(