Sign in to follow this  
Guest Woof

Family Comments

Guest PoRrEkE

*quote* - you lot think it's great!!!Hell yeah we do ! :D

Guest LGA

My wife thinks I'm a bit crazy and probably hopes it's all just impulsive and it'll get broken apart someday soon, my dad at first just asked if I was trying to build an airplane in the house, but since he's a machinist and the man with the garage and tools, he knows a bit more than anyone else. The rest of my family still thinks or says that I'm trying to build an airplane in the house.

I guess Im the lucky one !Wife thinks that's okay. She just matters about what I will do when the A320 will be finished. She don't want me to build a second simulator... ;)

Guest PoRrEkE

I think Daniel from NL is even more lucky then ..His wife helps building :D

My son recently asked me what how much I could get for the sim if I sold it, (As we were discussing the sim's 'purpose in life')Since I didn't keep ANY receipts, (Too scared to know how much money I've really thrown away in this hobby) I came up with a wild figure: "Oh.. probably $20K..."My son nearly fell over, as did my wife. They still may not know exactly why I'm in this hobby, but at least now they know I'm serious about it! ;-)

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/84397.jpgJust bagged myself one of those on ebay.co.ukThis was from a chap in Bournemouth who had 30 to spare...?...they closing all the banks in Bournemouth or something ;)What's the best way to power them, guessing at an ATX supply?Do you know the polarity of the power connector, centre positive?I'm still planning my generic pit and collecting but my wife is fine with it. Rather me do this than be down the pub' every night or off watching football/rugby every weekend.

Guest Woof

Ahaa,I saw those. I'm in Bournemouth too, but they're nothing to do with me!I was told that a building society had offloaded them. Whether this is one company or more is unknown, but a couple of mine had Abbey National stickers on them.Power connector is centre positive. I've soldered directly to the back of that PCB - the rear connection is +12v, the front is GND.Several of the adverts dictate using nothing but the correctly regulated power supply (+12v 2A). Note that the power connector centre pin is unusually large. Your average connector wont fit! I've been running 3 of them (soon to be 8) from a single ATX supply. My logic is that the voltage of the supply is regulated to +12v, and an electronic device can only draw as much current as it needs (unless it was designed by an idiot). The only way that current regulation can help is if something on the board shorts - in which case the board is knackered anyway - so I dont care if it gets zapped by 20+ amps (that's also why I'm keeping plenty of spares).Note that I'm no electronics expert, and that my actions above may lead to all my TFT's blowing in some spectacular fashion in the coming weeks. If it happens, I'll try and get a picture! :-)Anyone know more about current usage of TFT's?Chris

>Power connector is centre positive. I've soldered directly to>the back of that PCB - the rear connection is +12v, the front>is GND.Thanks for the info.