Sign in to follow this  
Guest PoRrEkE

Wiki HC building tutorials & tips page

Guest PoRrEkE

If anyone at some point thinks I am doing a bad job on this wiki and would request me to quit .. just let me know ok.

Guest PoRrEkE

Hmmz .. not sure how I can make a CSS for this wiki...

Guest mbessler

>Hmmz .. not sure how I can make a CSS for this wiki...I messed around a little... eg. you can put thistextarea { max-width:60%; }ortextarea { max-width:550px; }in a CSS file and put it up somewhere on the web.I have this test here:http://cockpit.varxec.net/tmp/test.cssThen you go to http://wiki.varxec.net/UserPreferencesand put the css url in the "User CSS URL" box.worked for me.

Guest kdfossum

Just caught up with the forum, and found you guy's new site. I think this is great. Took me a couple of minutes to learn how to navigate the site, but I'm looking forward to using this site. My favorites folder is big enough as it is, and hard to keep orginized, so good job on the site.I'll add some stuff once I actually have something to show for, and that I know works.Best regards,

>Someone has to go around and check the content. sometimes>stuff gets duplicated on other pages. >>For now, just having some content rolling in is good.Yeah. Also, it is nice that whatever you write in WikiWords as in CapsificatedNamesOfThings become links automatically, so it is easy to do crosslinking by just making subpages be names like HomeCockpit and always use the same name for the term everywhere so you automatically get links there. For example PolyesterResin is a subpage - so wherever one writes about resin as part of some other topic, just write it as "PolyesterResin" and it will automatically be linked to http://wiki.varxec.net/PolyesterResin :)>The toplevel page doesn't necessarily have to contains links>to all available pages. Creating a bit of a hierarchy is good.Yes, I agree. It also can be chaotic, stuff can and needs to be organized later. That's why it is important we dont add empty hierarchy there since the content is the important thing and we dont know what stuff gets added in the future anyway so it is not worth the effort if we try to organize it too much at this point. Let it evolve first :)//Tuomas

Eek! :) Again, the content is the point - dont make it too fancy.//Tuomas

Guest skotten

Very cool idea! I just added some stuff myself. I hope it can be a center of knowledge for all simbuilders. Lets keep it going.RegardsPeter

Guest PoRrEkE

I've decided to move my dimensions info to the wiki.I think it will be much better placed there.Hope you don't mind me using the webspace for it ?If you don't like it, you can take it out again and replace it with urls or whatever.

Guest PoRrEkE

I hope that everyone who has dimensions for other types can add them as well!I suggest to try to do a simple GIF! file like the ones you can see from F50 and 747 and a320 series. This is LIGHT on the webserver which holds the wiki and they are just as clear for builders as any other kind !!I hope to see the King Air and Cessna and a330/40 and b767 dimensions on there soon! People from around here should have those.

Guest mbessler

>I've decided to move my dimensions info to the wiki.>>I think it will be much better placed there.>>Hope you don't mind me using the webspace for it ?>>If you don't like it, you can take it out again and replace it>with urls or whatever.Webspace is not a problem at this time. If people start dumping hundreds of megapixel digicam pics there, I'll intervene :)Just make sure we don't dump everything from other places there.I'd rather link to them.eg. for the 767/A320 dims at simpit.deor my 747 dims at http://cockpit.varxec.net/plans/index.htmlManuel

Guest mbessler

>I hope that everyone who has dimensions for other types can>add them as well!>>I suggest to try to do a simple GIF! file like the ones youA word about GIFs:They are old, outdated, they may use LZW compression which is/was patented by Unisys (http://www.unisys.com/about__unisys/lzw)PNGs are a much better option as they are patent free, support more that 256 colors, compress better and have nearly all the features that GIF had. Only animations are not supported in PNGs, but in the sister format MNG.There's just one problem: Microsoft won't fix their buggy PNG implementation (there are problems with tranparency)Manuel

>>I hope that everyone who has dimensions for other types can>>add them as well!>>>>I suggest to try to do a simple GIF! file like the ones you>>A word about GIFs:>They are old, outdated, they may use LZW compression which>is/was patented by Unisys>(http://www.unisys.com/about__unisys/lzw)The last gif patent has expired in the world already as far as I know, you can breathe in ease now :)GIF works okay for drawings since most of the time those are low color, and IE still apparently has issues with PNG. Lets use whatever people have available.Lets not make this into a gif/png war since there is no need anymore :)//Tuomas

>Just make sure we don't dump everything from other places>there.>I'd rather link to them.Yea, I agree - the wiki works best as a collective set of bookmarks and pointers that includes comments and tips in between them.//Tuomas

Guest chrisblore

I can't seem to be able to get on to the site at the moment. Is the server down?Chris

Guest mbessler

>I can't seem to be able to get on to the site at the moment.>Is the server down?>>Chrisoooops... yes you are right.I was in the process of moving a domain over, but didn't restart apache yet since the DNS hadn't propagated the changes yet. The automatic log rotation did the restart for me which failed since I wasn't done yet.Now its back up :)Thanks for reporting BTW.Manuel