Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbr1000f

Opinions/solutions/suggestions wanted

Guest cbr1000f

Hello all. As I've recently moved homes, and now have a whole basement to play in, I decided to move towards a new version of Home Cockpit. My previous rig used a matrox parhelia card to run 3 19" monitors for an out the window view, and two additional monitors (and vid cards) to run the instrument panel views. I've decided that the Mark II cockpit will be projector based, instead. (Any looking for a 128MB Retail ver. Parhelia, e-mail me). Frame rates, with my P4 2.4GHZ 400FSB 512 MB rig were in the low teens, and whilst enjoyable, I would have liked more fluidity. Running without the extra panel views, or in windowed mode, provided much more acceptable frame rates. I have switched out the Parhelia card for a ATI Raedon 9800 Pro, figuring that the added horsepower would boost framerates for the projector. Much to my surprise, I found that without those additional monitors rates into the 60's were to be had. Opening any two additional windows on the panel monitors, dropped it right back into the teens. Reducing or increasing the sliders in display properties has little to no effect on frame rates with the multiple windows open. I can't run in windowed mode, to to a stutter problem that's been discused beforeQuestion to all is, how can I get those two additonal monitors to display the instrument panels, without killing the frame rates? Most of my flying time is in recip twins, mostly the MAAM B-25, and the R4D. IN fact, My new cockpit will most likely be a DC-3 mockup. So using project magenta, would mean loosing the period analog gauges, and wouldn't really be what I'd want. I'm not sure that upgrading my box to a 3.2Ghz 800Mhz FSB would alone provide the increase in FR to make the switch advisable, but it is something being concidered. Otherwise, I may just have to live with the low FR. A solution that I'm not in love with either, is to use another pc with wideview to display the out-the-window view to the projector. The main FS program will just display the panels. But that brings it's own problems. thanks in advance --jeff

Have you heard of FreeFD? (freefd.homelinux.com)You could use WideFS to link a separate system to the FS computer then run the FreeFD gauges. The solution you like the least is perhaps the best solution possible in your case.

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

Guest cbr1000f

Yes, it seems to be a case of every solution is less than optimal. Too bad videwiew doesn't transmit gauge data.I'll have to look into freeFD, but, althought those glass panels might look pretty nice in the Basler conversion turboprops, it'll look sadly out of place in the original DC-3. I'm still holding out hope for something else I've missed....Thanks --jeff

Use the forum "search" function and look for "PCI" - you should find stuff about adding a new videocard or two (old matrox PCI ones should work well) and creating full screen panels of FS200X gauges for them. Shouldnt drop framerates as long as the gauges dont use openGL or directx - which the default ones dont.//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

*quote*Too bad videwiew doesn't transmit gauge data.Actually that came with the new version. If you ask kindly maybe he can put this code back in there. I used the old dll on a FS2002 and it worked ok for the gauges. So in my case .. if my other option fails, than I will ask him to put the old code back in there for me and then I'll have to buy that wideview.The option I am waiting for is an external exe file custom made by Richard Alti. Haven't heard from him in a while though :(He has analoge gauges on an external exe you might concider downloading as freeware from avsim I think ..

>*quote*>Too bad videwiew doesn't transmit gauge data.>>>Actually that came with the new version. If you ask kindly>maybe he can put this code back in there. I used the old dll>on a FS2002 and it worked ok for the gauges. So in my case ..>if my other option fails, than I will ask him to put the old>code back in there for me and then I'll have to buy that>wideview.But you can just run the gauges and one outside view in the single PC, no need for wideview either.http://tigert.gimp.org/tigert-albums/homec...t/aab.sized.jpg(Yours Truly flying in the C172 home setup - single PC, two monitors)//Tuomas

Are you handy with a soldering iron? You might want to take the next step and build your own panel. Simkits makes gauges that you might repaint or modify to look old. Mike keeps promising us that his book is "any day now." (Hee hee, couldn't pass on that one Mike. Remember Flip Wilson...The devil make me....") Mike's book will be all about building your own analog gauges.It will take longer but the effort and time should be worth it in the long run.John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest cbr1000f

That's really what I'm doing, but the extra complexity of the engine management in the b-25 makes it pretty cramped on just one extra monitor, so I'm using two, one for the captains primary flight inst, and the second for the right seats/engineers panel. It's just that I take such a great frame hit the minute I open that second panel...That's a pretty nice panel you've got there..--jeff

Guest cbr1000f

I had concidered the Simkits options. It's the added cost, really, that makes it prohibitive, but I may in the future undertake that. To do it the way I'd envision would probably cost me $2K. We'll have to see.Thanks --jeff

>That's really what I'm doing, but the extra complexity of the>engine management in the b-25 makes it pretty cramped on just>one extra monitor, so I'm using two, one for the captains>primary flight inst, and the second for the right>seats/engineers panel. It's just that I take such a great>frame hit the minute I open that second panel...Try windowed mode if it makes any difference? I actually get a rise in framerate since there is no "shaped" panel on top of the 3d outside view that needs to be masked over it - so I got good framerates.. Strange that your get the opposite.. >That's a pretty nice panel you've got there..Thanks :)//Tuomas

Guest cbr1000f

WIndowed mode, as I suggested would be a pertect solution, if it didn't produce a stutter of about .5 sec every 20 seconds or so. There was a thread discussing it a few months back, and no solution, or even conclusion was really reached. Now I just read a back thread whilst searching for the original, witch suggests that changing the HW acceleration can help. I'm going to go back to first principles and retest some stuff re: operation in windowed mode. thanks again, and keep those Ideas rolling in....--jeff

Guest MikePowell

I admit it. I'm 2+ years into a 1 year project, but the printers finally have it. I should receive the first signature proof "any day now" to approve full production. Scheduled ship date to me is August 10. The books will arrive just as I have to leave to take my daughter to her university orientation.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comwww.mikesflightdeckbooks.com

Hey Mike,All good things take time. I am sure it will be worh the wait. I for one, am in no rush. I am still fiddleing with my control stick and then I have to build some real fighter type rudder pedals...then...BTW - My PSone that I bought from eBay came in. I haven't opened the box yet but it might make a good 5" ADI or HSI.John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest yoss

Hello JeffI running single PC with dual head ATI 9600-and 3 ATI pci 8M adaptors for 2d panels display--so totaly 5 screens attachedThe only way fight stutters on multimonitor setup is to turn offharware acceleration on all cards exept the one you running 3d outside viewDo that via Control panel-Advanced --Troubleshouting wizard for each screen running 2d and leave only one whith 3D acceleratedHope thats will help you as that did helped meDc 3 is one of my favorites as well