Sign in to follow this  
Guest Calum

Why no Propeller Projects , or not that many ?

Guest Calum

Hi All ,In my short time here , i have noticed most of the talk is 747 , 777 , 737 , A320 ... Related , excuse me if there are others , but so far i only see the Fokker 50 in amongst the topics here. So my question is , why do people not build ATR-42/72 , Dash-8 , Embraer , or other Prop aircraft sims ? Surely it cant be harder than some of the big jet projects going on right now ?I am contemplating building a EMB-120 sim , my first project , but it might put me off if people who have done lots of projects cant make one. Basically , would this not scare beginners off from making Prop sims , cause none of the experienced builders are making them ?ThanksCalum

>Hi All ,>>In my short time here , i have noticed most of the talk is 747>, 777 , 737 , A320 ... Related , excuse me if there are others>, but so far i only see the Fokker 50 in amongst the topics>here. So my question is , why do people not build ATR-42/72 ,>Dash-8 , Embraer , or other Prop aircraft sims ? Surely it>cant be harder than some of the big jet projects going on>right now ?>>I am contemplating building a EMB-120 sim , my first project ,>but it might put me off if people who have done lots of>projects cant make one. Basically , would this not scare>beginners off from making Prop sims , cause none of the>experienced builders are making them ?>A lot of the principles and ideas have nothing to do with the certain aircraft type. We have a C172 simulator: http://tigert.gimp.org/tigert-albums/simu_...e/aat.sized.jpghttp://tigert.gimp.org/tigert-albums/simu_...e/aam.sized.jpg..and my "infinite project" at home will be a Cessna 310.My approach is not 1:1 replica anyway, but I rather focus on the aircraft systems so that the functionality is more important than the color of a knob etc.. - the C310 has the advantage that it has zero nintendo content on the panel so everything is implementable with FSUIPC and basic FS gauges etc. And there's the lovely Flight1 / Dreamfleet C310 to use.Here's some in progress stuff from that one:http://tigert.gimp.org/tigert-albums/homec...t/abf.sized.jpghttp://tigert.gimp.org/aviation/vatsim/coc...kotiohjaamo.jpg//Tuomas

Guest Calum

Oh Cool Tuomas ,Maybe its just because people prefer jes then *Shrugs*Thanks for sharing Calum

Guest LGA

I think alot of it has to do with what's available for instrument/flight systems, for example Project Magenta and Free FD. Also, it might be easier to replicate the panels as opposed to props which usually have alot of analog guages and could be difficult when it comes time to arranging the monitors. All in all, I believe anyone can achieve success with whatever project they choose if the motivation is there.

Guest PoRrEkE

A few thoughts. Some of which have been pointed out already.I for one am building the F50 as you all know and the only reason that sometimes bugs me is that I can not fly a Jet from my sim ever without creating weird situations (I think).If you got a jet cockpit, no one sais you can not fly a bigger or smaller jet from that very cockpit. If you got a 747, why not put on the air file of a BAe146 for a change ? You got 4 levers anyway.Props also don't go as far. I tend to notice that there are a few persons around that enjoy flying long haul and working with FMC a lot. I personally hate that.And indeed, the chance of finding a glass cockpit in a prop is rather very slim indeed. (Is there one really ?).Doesn't need to be none analogue .. but it sure makes it easy ..On the other side if you got glass cockpit and want a decent glass gauge .. you should go for PM which is not at all a cheap choise. With respects to PM. (lets not raise the Q again if it is TOO cheep .. I didn't say that .. I don't know what PM does in detail I just know it would be increasing my projects budget by 50% or so)

Just for the record, when, at some point, I have the resources to build a home cockpit, my plan is to make it completely modular and type-independent; I'll utilize as many displays as possible. While I think it's awfully amazing to have the proper knobs and switches, and everything else, be just like "the real thing", I'm not sure I'd trade my interest in flying a 172 on a short hop and then a 737 for a.... well, short hop ;) My primary goal would be to make the visual display as convincing as possible, and if I could basically have a screen for instruments in front of me and 3 big projections @ about 130 degrees, and possibly a radio control stack, I'd be set. Oh, and switchable yokes!Andrew

>Maybe its just because people prefer jes then *Shrugs*I think they just want it easy with a FMC to hack instead of real flying ;)That's why I picked the C310 - this is my hobby and I want my hands full while flying the sim. The anticlimax of monitoring the FMC and navigation displays progress for 8 hours on long haul and then waking up from the nap to disconnect the autopilot to do flare is not exactly my idea of "fun". :^)Sure, it must have its good sides, plus there's the whole ATC and flight planning part if you do the flying "as real as it gets", maybe even on VATSIM - but it just doesnt interest me at this point. Just because the plane is big and has many engines doesnt make me jump from joy :) The light twin sounds just right at the moment.The guys at World Flight Australia (http://www.worldflight.ozflight.com.au/) are doing an incredibly cool thing and flying long haul with a good company of friends is probably really interesting - but my personal interest is more into bush flying with smaller planes, VFR. If it is IFR, I want to fly it by hand for now. And sure, you *can* fly big jets by hand too, of course, but what's the point in building an airbus if you want to do that? :)//TuomasAnd please note the smileys before you start flaming, everyone has their own interests, and this is mine. It may very well stink from your point of view :)

Guest Calum

Yeah ,maybe everyones just into jets more , thanks all Calum

Guest simbuff

Well I have just finished a nice project called the portable cocpit. I'm sure it's not like all the big guys, but it's nice. check it out at my website:http://users.telenet.be/theportablecockpitit's a table/moveable cockpit setup of a turboprop like the Beech 1900D which I use to fly.ideal for very short flights like 40 min (EBBR to LCY)

Guest CaptnKebec

Hi,I had the same thought when I first look to build my cockpit. For me, I wanted to have a cockpit simulating something I might flight someday (I want to take flight lessons), I'm surely not going to fly a big airliner, that's for sure!! So I'm building a C172. Like other builders said, props are all about analog gauges and they are quite expensive if you buy them.I took a different approach and use LCD screen behind a "mask" and a second monitor for the radio stack.I don't have a big budget and this setup has cost me under 1000$.So I think with a little imagination, help and ideas from other builders, you can build almost any plane you like!.You can check my setup at the address below.Cheers

Guest DarrenBe

Calum,Props are not harder to simulate, just not as popular I suppose.Me, well I've got a front section of an Embraer Bandeirante, currently sitting in the workshop, getting stripped down.I intend to have it setup, so its possible to fly jets (ERJs etc) and turboprops (Saab 340s etc).I've attached two pics. The first was how it was when I got it (away back in Oct 2000), the second picture is how it currently looks.Still got a lot of work to do.CheersDarren

Guest pookie

I'm doing a B1900D :)See here: http://www.pookiedom.com/b1900dThese are very outdated pics as I now have a glareshield and half the structure built. I just need to stop building and start taking pictures.

Guest simbuff

Hey,I'm doing a B1900D as well. Looked at your site and the mockup looks impressive.I got rid of the screen gauges by using real instruments from simkits.Have a look at my sitehttp://users.telenet.be/theportablecockpitturboporp rulesMark

Guest kdfossum

hehe, my favorite dog is named pookie. Anyway, just wanted to say, very cool project you have with your projector, oh and thanks for picking a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. I live in SF. Very nice!Best Regards, and good luck,