Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alkit

737 cockpit window open during takeoff?

Guest cesurkanat

Hi Alkit,it is looking like a bit negligence here. But in fact, there is a small gap behind open cockpit window where wind doesnt affect pilots, so that crew can see the runway during final approach when main windows obscured by volcanic ashes or hail cracks.Regards.Remzi Ozturk

>Hi Alkit,>it is looking like a bit negligence here.> >But in fact, there is a small gap behind open cockpit window>where wind doesnt affect pilots, so that crew can see the>runway during final approach when main windows obscured by>volcanic ashes or hail cracks.Considering this plane has the Boeing house livery, perhaps the guys were testing a case of window opening during flight?The pilot's handling of the situation was excellent by the way - "fly the airplane" as rule number one, then let the copilot fly once at a safe altitude and once confirmed the other guy has the controls, only then focus on the window problem.. :)//Tuomas

Guest Alkit

I am very surprise to see this video. My first time to see open window takeoff/landing for airliners. I guess this is part of the test flight. I rememeber these is an accident about the similar problem which happened to a british airliner (I forgot which one exactly, may be the 111). The captain's half body was pull outside of the side window until the plane landed.

Guest DarrenBe

Alkit,The 1-11 incident was that the front left hand windscreen was fitted with the incorrect bolts. It blew out from its frame at around 17,000 feet, due to the cabin pressure.The full report is here if you're interestedhttp://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_...hcst?n=5234&l=4On most aircraft, the DV (side) windows can be opened in flight, to aid smoke removal, but only when the aircraft is depressurised. They can also be used for an emergency exit, on the ground.Maybe Boeing were creating a training video to demonstrate the effect of the DV window opening during the take-off run. Showing for example, that its perfectly safe to get airborne, if the DV window opens, instead of trying a high-speed abort.High speed aborts, during takeoff, are one of the biggest killer's in aviation. Darren

Guest Dodiano

For the looks on thge Captain in that video I think he was ###### LOL!! I don

Guest Alkit

Thanks Darren for sharing!"The commander had been partially suckedout of his windscreen aperture and the flight deck door had been blown onto the flight deck where it lay across the radio and navigationconsole."Hard to imagine how scary the scene was!!!Alkit

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

Oh yeah, anybody notice something wrong with the filename and the aircraft in question?No?Ok, here's the problem....The filename informs us it's a 737-800, whereas the livery on the aircraft tells us it's a 737-900. If you look closely enough you'll be able to see it :)

>Oh yeah, anybody notice something wrong with the filename and>the aircraft in question?>>No?>>Ok, here's the problem....>>The filename informs us it's a 737-800, whereas the livery on>the aircraft tells us it's a 737-900. If you look closely>enough you'll be able to see it :)And to add to silly nitpicking even more, it doesnt have winglets that the NG 737's have :)//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

not all of them have them :(

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

True, winglets are a custom airline option, same as a lot of the kit installed :(

Guest kdfossum

The video looks like made for training purposes. Why would there be a cam in the captains face, showing the window sliding open otherwise? And why would the camera outside, focus on the window opening? And last, why are the aircraft in Boeing livery?I think this is a video made to show how to handle the situation if it occurs. The moral of this story is... Focus on your airplane, regardless of what happens around you, then once you are certain everything is under control (copilot taking over) you deal with the problem.that's my opinion.Great video though, one more thing, the winglets are only on the NG (new generation), there were -900 versions before winglets and NG came around. That wasnt my point though.Regards