Sign in to follow this  
Guest kdfossum

APU

Guest kdfossum

Hey, I was wondering. Is there APU (aircraft power unit) on MSFS? If not, is it possible to make one as part of the cockpit? And what about ground power to run the systems when APU and engines are not running?It's very uncommon to have engine start at the gate, but still have power.I never seen one in FS, so just wondering. Would be cool to have one, just to add more realism to the whole experience.Regards,

Guest PoRrEkE

Quite simple.APU is not aircraft power unit btw ;) It is auxiliary power unit.But to answer the question .. there are panels with APU. Have a look at the panel from Espen type Fokker50. It has both EPU (external) and APU simulated.Then you got plenty of more advanced panels of airbus and boeing that have them. Most of which are payware obviously.In terms of sim building .. it can be easely simulated with CCC from FSbus. Do a search on APU and CCC on this forum and you could probably find more info on how to do it and even a full CCC sheme.

Guest Sleepie

Also Project Magenta is busy with their PMSystems which will take care of all systems logic.

Guest Dodiano

Magenta is Boring, try 767 Pilot In command, that has an APU system too as well as many others add-ons.Roberto

If you build all the switches as hardware there is a even more simple solution.Put all the switches that need to be on before start in the same circuit. When you flip the last switch (fuel valve ) the engine will start.norbert

Guest Woof

"Magenta is Boring"Err, can you qualify that statement just a little?I (like many others) use the complete Project Magenta glass cockpit, CDU, MCP and am eagerly awaiting PM Systems with an open cheque book.For realism, support, performance and confidence in continuation, I know of no other software (free or otherwise) that is in the same league.Chris

Guest Peter Skotte

What airplane is it for?HCSDT makes a complete system for the airbus series.It's the OHP and Ecam, and it includes fully simulated APU.http://www.hcsdt.comRegardsPeter

>What airplane is it for?>>HCSDT makes a complete system for the airbus series.>It's the OHP and Ecam, and it includes fully simulated APU.>Also, it does not need to be "in FS" - if you can simulate it on your cockpit hardware. FSBUS "CCC" logic construction tool can simulate an APU pretty easily - if "APU" start is pressed, after a short delay, turn on "APU Running" led, switch "apu bleed air" switch on, and once both "bleed" and "apu running" are on, then make engine start switch functional.Or do it with the EPIC programming language - there are many possibilities. Sometimes it is better to do it outside FS if possible, many payware FS add-on planes contain stuff like that, but the "how to interface wiht them" becomes more of a problem than what you can simulate yourself with your own hardware.Or just do procedural switches, it does not even need to "work" (but turning on some LEDS after certain switches are turned ON is not that hard) - so it appears to work.. If you want to just enhance your FS experience, it does not need to "work" right in terms of faults, not working if things are done in wrong order, since why would you want to intentionally do things wrong if you want to just have fun flying the sim "as real as it gets"? :) There just needs to be the switches which you flip as you go through the startup checklist. That alone is lots better than nothing.//Tuomas

Guest High Octane

REALLY? I could simulate APU? FINALLY I get to know this. You know, I am kinda of ashamed at myself. I have always heard about APU, but never knew what it's for. Of course, I know what it's stand for but Yet, FSXXXX never add that on simulation. And I was like "why should I know about APU, or why should I have addons since it's probablly giving too much trouble when using EPIC". So, Since I could simulate APU at outside FS environment, can anyone explain:-What is APU? -What does it do? -why is it so important?-What is the proper prodecures, ie.First turn on the part of APU, then other part of APU and etc. -How do I determine this prodecure is done ie. light, beeping sound, looking at static or engine gauges or etc.With your help, or having some detailed information about APU, this would, or could help me determine how to program it with EPICUSB. Otherwise, might as well, if there are some website availabity explaining about APU it'd be much helpful too.Let me knowMuch appreicated

>can anyone explain:>>-What is APU? >-What does it do? >-why is it so important?>-What is the proper prodecures, ie.>First turn on the part of APU, then other part of APU and etc.>>-How do I determine this prodecure is done ie. light, beeping>sound, looking at static or engine gauges or etc.I suggest you try to find some documentation for the B767 you are building - how else are you going to figure out how everything *else* will work also?A type-specific simulator that looks like the real thing but doesnt work like one is a bit strange :)I think Google might have some starting points, as well as many of the 767PIC websites. Also purchasing 767PIC for reference might not be a completely bad idea either (though you need FS2002 to use it) - it is said to be very accurate simulation of the 767/757, one of the best simulated add-ons ever. I have no experience with it since I am not very interested in the airliners, but a friend is completely obsessed with it. He has some stuff at www.simradar.com file library, that might be a good starting point as well.//Tuomas

Guest kdfossum

Well, I can help you with a couple of things.An APU is an engine located in the tail section. Notice the little exhaust "tail pipe" underneath the tail? That's for the APU.An aircraft has battery supply to last for only a very short time, so when an aircraft is parked at the gate prior to take off, and ground power is disconnected, the APU has to be running, to supply power to the aircraft, so in short it's really just a power generator. The engines will also supply power, but these are not generally started at the gate because of the hazard from ingestion and jet blast in a crowded gate area. The APU also supplies power for the aircraft to be able to start it's engines once out on the taxi way.I do this at work so I have a pretty good idea about it. As far as the differences between a/c's I dont know. I've started 738 and 752 APUs, and I held the buttons in for a few seconds. Then I waited a couple of minutes (exactly how long I dont remember, as I dont do it that often, but I think our manual says 5 minutes), a light comes on indicating the APU is operating and we can turn on the avionics on and disconnect ground power.This is all I know about APU, any more specifics has to come from better sources. Hope it helped anyway.Regards

Guest kdfossum

I work on the ramp for Delta Air Lines (I know, I know) not a very bright future, but hey. Things can change (I hope).We are only involved with the flight deck when towing the aircrafts. Pretty cool actually, we sit in the cockpit talking w/the tower for clearances etc.