Sign in to follow this  
Guest PoRrEkE

multiple display problem

Guest spiliot_

>It doesn't boot so I can't even see if the IRQ gets assigned>! :(>Oh misery oh misery :-violinBut right from your first message you say "Came home, put it in my pc reboot .. windowsXP didn't detect it.", so the computer was booting at the time and now it doesn't?If the computer doesn't boot at all ONLY with both cards installed, then it might be due to a motherboard problem (try to update the bios) or more possible a PSU that can supply the current needed by both cards. One more thing. When it doesn't boot, does the power LED light in the case light? Does the HDD LED light also? Do you hear any strange high pitch sounds out of the PSU? Can you close it by holding the power key down for more than 4 seconds, or do you have to remove power?

Guest PoRrEkE

--------quote---------But right from your first message you say "Came home, put it in my pc reboot .. windowsXP didn't detect it.", so the computer was booting at the time and now it doesn't?If the computer doesn't boot at all ONLY with both cards installed, then it might be due to a motherboard problem (try to update the bios) or more possible a PSU that can supply the current needed by both cards. One more thing. When it doesn't boot, does the power LED light in the case light? Does the HDD LED light also? Do you hear any strange high pitch sounds out of the PSU? Can you close it by holding the power key down for more than 4 seconds, or do you have to remove power?---------/quote------------Ok, indeed I said it did boot at first. It did, now it doesn't. Why ? I don't know... but my idea here now is that it might have been because the card wans't properly installed in the PCI slot.. or a temporary failure of that specific slot. I know for sure that I had taken out the S3ViRGE a few months ago to put it in the Celeron 500. Now recently I put it back in and it didn't work. I changed it from slot and then it did work. So maybe I got 1 pci slot that is broken.Either way .. I got now the new card (went to the shop to exchange) same card, same manuf., only a new build (or so they say). This time the box was wrapped with plastic sheet so I know for sure that this one has never ever been used in any pc. Result: no boot (just like at the final attempts with the previous card)Then with AGP or without .. no difference.I do heer my pc boot but the usual "beep" after .. say 2 seconds doesn't come and neither does the screen.I heer the cd-rom drive spooling up and the PSU doesn't make any strange noise. Both leds go on and stay on after those 1.5 seconds.Let me just boot 1 more time here and make sure I describe correct what happens. Ok, seems to be very less than 1.5 seconds. More like 0.5I can indeed power it off by pressing the on button for 3 to 4 seconds.I got a 350W PSU and I tried disconnecting everything but the things needed for the imagecard to work (no AGP either) no difference.I will check for BIOS update though I'm not super fond of doing something when I've never seen anyone else do it. (Like install a CPU .. I do it now but I waited untill I saw someone showing me how to do it ..) I know you got to be carefull when BIOS updating cuz things can go wrong .. But I guess I'll find good instructions with the new bios if there is any.

Guest Erups

Since it's a PCI card, why not try it in the celeron?Altough being a new one i'd be surprised if it didn't work as the past one.I think your motheboard really hates those cards...

Guest PoRrEkE

Did try it in the celeron and exact same problem there. No boot.

Guest PoRrEkE

Did a bios update vrom v12 to v15 without any result.Also didn't find any "reset DMI pool" stuff in it.If I do a manual IRQ set, which IRQ number do I take then and to what line do i give it ?

Guest Erups

Can't you have it changed for another brand model?It's really really strange that two cards do not work on two different systems.But be warned: sometimes "unknown" manufacturer brand means swindle: once i bought a nobrand gf2mx and it really was a 3dfx 2500 with hacked drivers to "show as" gs2mx.So maybe this brand is not very thrustable.I really don't know why else two new cards wouldn't work on two different computers.Don't you have a friend on whose computer you can try your card?

Guest PoRrEkE

sure, but what's the use of having it work there :(i hope the guy from the shop can just get me another type but he tells me that PCI cards are no longer in production and thus getting harder & harder to find. (ref. PCI express comming up).

>sure, but what's the use of having it work there :(>>i hope the guy from the shop can just get me another type but>he tells me that PCI cards are no longer in production and>thus getting harder & harder to find. (ref. PCI express>comming up).See if you can find a second-hand Matrox Millenium, those work nicely for gauge displays, and they can be cheap. And they work, I have both a Mystique and Millenium PCI here next to the Geforce3.You cant use 3d accel anyway on two cards within one PC so you dont need the "Radeon" part there - just a regular 2D card will do since you just display gauges there.//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

A 2D card will do ???I guess not cus that is what I have (the S3ViRGE) and this 2D card KILLS my 3D card (nVidia GF 2 Ti 500) ...As soon as the S3 is in .. no more HW accel. No more changable options in the "hardware" menu. No more full-screen ALT+ENTER stuff ....That's why I want a good PCI card and according to MS, it needs to be at least their minimum specs to work (so 8mb of ram, full 3D accel, dirx9 compatible drivers)

Guest spiliot_

>Did a bios update vrom v12 to v15 without any result.>>Also didn't find any "reset DMI pool" stuff in it.>>If I do a manual IRQ set, which IRQ number do I take then and>to what line do i give it ?I'll have to ask a rather silly question but where is your monitor connected to when you boot up your computer? From what you said before, the behaviour of the computer looks like it is succesfully booting. No boot means that the computer doesn't go through the POST (Power On Self Test) = you shouldn't hear any beeps or only beeps that denote errors and are like beeeeeeeeeeeeeep-beep-beep-beep that means video card missing or has a problem.Last thing I would ask you to try is a different card manufacturer...

Guest PoRrEkE

Most of the time my monitor is connected to the AGP card, unless I have the PCI card in it alone.I heer no beep at all. I know the "beeeeeeeeeeeep-beep-beep" sound from when I got the bios setup to "PCI" first and I got only the AGP in it.. then it does that.I hope indeed to try an orther card manufacturer or even an other chipset but it all depends on which cards my dealer gets hands on. He sais that now with the PCI Express comming up, PCI gracards are no longer manufactured. So you can find them in shops or online on e-bay but shops will no longer find them easely from manufacturers.I hope he can find something else. If not I'll be forced to ask my money back and try an other shop. I know now that I should buy it via online shop or e-bay simply cuz IF it gives the same problem I am kinda stuck.

Guest PoRrEkE

Owyeah it'z a baaaaaaad year for rock & rolland it's bad bad year for video cards :(Seems I am cought in the middle of the transit period between PCI/AGP and PCI express. But sweetness how interesting is that PCIe !!!As far as I have seen the current mobo with PCIe available has only 1 PCIe slot to the NB and multiple to the SB.Us simmers, we need MORE ! :)Imagine a mobo with 2 PCIe slots to the NB and say 5 to the SB ..If you got a dual or tripple PCIe gracard ...... that'z a lot of 3D acceleration on 1 PC :)If they never make it, I will be happy none the less.A PCIe card on the NB and one on the SB will still work faster than 1 on the AGP now ..In a few years time these mobo's and gracards should be affordable and then I will do my upgrade ;)