Sign in to follow this  
Guest FokkerSim

Project Update.

Guest FokkerSim

Guys,I nearly finished my throttle Quad ( it isn't a quad, actualy a duo but hey ). The only thing is have to do is find some one who can engrave my lightplates. I'll try the local Sportsprices shop. They have quite likely got a machine for that :-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/86757.jpg

Guest Erups

Nice!Does the trim wheel actually do something?

Guest FokkerSim

>Nice!>Does the trim wheel actually do something?Yes indeed it does do something. In the Real aircraft ( Fokker 70/100 ) the only thing it does is Rotating. The wheel is used only for visual trimset reference. In my version it is the same, the trim wheel is powered by a 12V motor and driven by a rubberband. And it will turn when you use the Trim switches on the Yoke. As I said like in the real one you can not set trim with it.

That really looks nice. You do good work.John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest Dodiano

WOW!! Very impressive work sir congratulations on it! Is the housing of the throttle quadrant plastic???Take care.Roberto

Guest FokkerSim

Yes indeed, it's Polycarbonate. Transparent. And there's a piece that is PET (PolyEthyleen). All spraypainted and it came out very well.

Guest Project777

Looks pretty good!Keep up good work!Best from ViennaHans G. SchuetzProject777---------------------------------------http://www.project777.comh.schuetz@project777.com---------------------------------------(LOWW - Vienna)

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

It's called a throttle quad as it's a quadrant, not a quadruplet (ie, it's an area, not a number!). Therefore they're still called quads even if they've only got two throttles :)Hope I didn't confuse you ;)

Guest PoRrEkE

I think he knows ;)I was about to seek/change in my website for "quadrant" and change it to "duodrant" :(

Guest Dodiano

Whatever... You think you could post a tutorial of some sort it is really impressive how you made that throttle.Regards.Roberto

Guest Dodiano

Could you talk about how you made the plastic housing? That tutorial was really cool great work man!!Roberto

Guest FokkerSim

Roberto, There is not so much to tell about the plastic housing apart from what I mentioned in the Tutorial.I just had a good look at the original and tried to give it the same appearance. The top plates are all just Polycarbonate ( 3 in total ) cut to the disired shape, and with cut outs for the levers. The LiftDumper portion is a different story. I did have quite some trouble with that. ( this is the place where the green, actually it has to be Blue, button resides ). I made this using plastic that could be bend easely, once warmed up ( PET, from an old kitty's toilet ;-) ) and the housing of an old broken down AC adaptor. Some cutting, glueing and filling resulted in this ......hope that I was of more help...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/87093.jpg

Hi Gert!Thanks for the inspiration on the hot glue! I was about to mess with polyester resin (NASTY smelling stuff) but indeed, hot glue works great for attaching the handles :)http://tigert.gimp.org/tigert-albums/homec.../abp.sized.jpegThis is 3x15mm (or something) aluminium strips as handle levers, and mountain dew, diet pepsi and mineral water caps ;) used as the knobs. The levers have a bolt throuhg with two nuts and a washer in between, so there's lots for the glue to "grip" into, then the cap was filled with hot glue (remove the seal from the cap, it is loose soft rubber) - and the bolt was stuck in. I trimmed off the overflown glue once it was set.Turned out pretty nice and the feel is good and solid. Thanks again for the idea :)Oh, here's the linkage side:http://tigert.gimp.org/tigert-albums/homec.../abk.sized.jpegI know it is unecessarily complex, could have done it with simple pushrods I guess, but oh well, this works, and it will be hidden behind the panel anyway. Not the best construction, but does the job :)The cable is bike brake cable, the connectors to attach the bent metal rod "hooks" to the cable are from those terminal block connectors for electric wires. They work great for connecting cables etc.See http://wiki.varxec.net/Mechanical_20parts_...levers_20etc_29 for my more through explanation. And please update the wiki with your own ideas, anyone can contribute to it!//Tuomas