Sign in to follow this  
Guest sfgiants13

Headset

Guest sfgiants13

I'm just about to buy a USB headset so I can use voice on VATSIM. The thing is, I just realized that by using a headset all of the FS voices also come through the headset instead of my computer speakers. How can it be done with a USB headset to where the FS sounds go to the comp speakers and voice/ATC comes through my headset?

Guest PoRrEkE

As far as I know only 1 way:Use 2 computers. Link them via network. Link it via wideview (not widefs). On the first you fly the sim. On the second you put SB and your voice client + connect your headset to that pc.Unless it would be possible somehow to have 2 soundcards in your pc (that in fact IS possible) but then you should be able somehow to have the 2 sounds exit trough separate soundcards.Not sure if that is possible.It depends on if you can chose the output from TeamSpeak.I did that once with BPM studio and winamp.

>As far as I know only 1 way:>>Use 2 computers. Link them via network. Link it via wideview>(not widefs). On the first you fly the sim. On the second>you put SB and your voice client + connect your headset to>that pc.No no, no need for 2 PC's. It works like this:Set your computer speakers as the PRIMARY preferred sound device in Windows. Then Flight Simulator uses that since that is the one everything then uses by default. Just make sure you dont have the option to "only use preferred devices" turned on, since then everything is forced to that device.Then on AVC (the vatsim voice software) set it to use the USB headset devices.That should do the trick.//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

As I said ;)It depends on if your voice client offers this option. I don't use vatsim so I got no use when AVC can do it ;) I would need TeamSpeak to be able for it or else maybe the new voice client which they are working on.

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

As with AVC, do the same with TS as you can set your sound preferences there

Guest PoRrEkE

RGR ! Excellent news :)I almost didn't fly online. When I last flew it was almost still RW in use ;p And with that .. I think .. no such option.

>RGR ! Excellent news :)>>I almost didn't fly online. When I last flew it was almost>still RW in use ;p And with that .. I think .. no such>option.RogerWilco has the option too though.//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

hmmmmmmmmmmmzI wonder why I never used it then ... :sOw right .. cuz back then I used my parents computer AMD K7 500mhz and if I put in a second soundcard the thing went crazy when I started FS :(After that I had my laptop which obviously can't host 2 soundcards (unless it exists on PCMIA (?) )After that again I had my P4 2.4 here with sound on board and a PCI soundcard .. though haven't flown a second online yet cuz of simbuilding ;) Very egor though to get my sim online as soon as possible now :)

>After that I had my laptop which obviously can't host 2>soundcards (unless it exists on PCMIA (?) )...or USB :)>After that again I had my P4 2.4 here with sound on board and>a PCI soundcard .. though haven't flown a second online yet>cuz of simbuilding ;) Very egor though to get my sim online>as soon as possible now :)Hey, when you start flying online again, be sure to visit Finland virtually, we have a neat VACC at http://vacc.fi and all the charts to finland can be found at http://www.ilmailulaitos.fi/fcaa_ais :)Your Fokker might be able to land on Helsinki-Malmi airport (EFHF) even, there's no ILS but VOR/DME and NDB approaches.. Helsinki-Vantaa is the big "more" international airport for scheduled traffic. I fly from Malmi myself.http://tigert.gimp.org/tigert-albums/eftp_...p/aad.sized.jpg(http://www.pelastamalmi.org/en/index.html)As for IRL pics, if a little offtopic is permitted, here's the plane I learned to fly in :)http://www.mik.fi/gallery/albums/koneet/ds..._001.sized.jpeg//Tuomas

Guest kdfossum

I've considered the head set thing for my FS and with a voice client, but I wanna find out what I can really do with it.I mean, for sure I want headset in my cockpit.What exactly can I have FS do, with a headset and voice client?I wanna talk to tower, and get rid of the stupid ATC screen. Is it possible? I have no experience with this, so please give me your opinion on it.Thanks,

Guest PoRrEkE

You should try VATSIM or IVAO if you never done that ..I go IVAO myself so I won't ad for either one.The use is that you can talk 1 person to another via internet. You fly fs on the network and other have a radar-client software on which they see you on their scope. Online ATC.Not fun at all with keyboard & text. Though as stupid as that is, so much fun it is to do it with a headset and voice client.Then I got a question on my turn.What's the advantage of a USB headset ?

Guest kdfossum

I was hoping for a way to get rid of my keyboard while talking to ATC all together when I fly FS on my own, not online.Is there a way to program a voice client to do what you would normally do via keyboard?e.g a certain frase would trigger the optons (1, 2, 3 etc) in the atc window.That way you can actually talk to the tower. Is this possible?Anyone played around with this?

Guest kdfossum

Let me be more specific about my idea. And please tell me if I'm completely lost. I dont have experience with this kind of software.From my understanding, you can program a voice client to trigger certain key strokes right? Can a whole frase trigger one stroke?If so, how about this?ATC: Scandinavian 938 heavy, cleared for take-off, runway 28 right.I actually answer: Cleared for take-off, Scandinavian 938 Heavy. This frase, or part of the frase will trigger option 1, 2 or 3 in the atc window, and the tower will get understand the response.Possible? I have no idea. Just a thought.

>I was hoping for a way to get rid of my keyboard while>talking to ATC all together when I fly FS on my own, not>online.>>Is there a way to program a voice client to do what you would>normally do via keyboard?>e.g a certain frase would trigger the optons (1, 2, 3 etc) in>the atc window.>That way you can actually talk to the tower. Is this>possible?We just have a numeric keypad for the atc messages in the cockpit. But using a real online thing like vatsim or ivao is probably a better idea over the long term - it is a LOT more fun, really. I have flown with FS atc a bit because it gives you a lot of vectors - good practice to hold altitude and heading for basic instrument training :) - but the atc system is rather buggy and nothing is more annoying than constant go-arounds on a busy airport when you fly a Cessna or other slower plane and they always vector you to final, only to have you go around because there is a faster plane behind you.. which is silly, and also irritating, since then you get to be vectored all around the TMA once again.. taking half an hour to practice another go-around... :)//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

There are a few such programs. They are not called voice clients but voice recognition softwares :(Can't remember the name though but there is a commercial version from the guys who make this track IR glasses.The freeware was something like "swift" or "snoop" .. can't remember though .. something short.