Sign in to follow this  
Guest drewhosick

Video Projectors help

Guest drewhosick

Hi all, I'm not building a cockpit anytime soon(unofortunatly) however I was thinking of picking up a video projector in mid September and figured with a few posts about it that I did see, that some of you may be able to answer my questions.I'm looking at either the InFocus X2 or the cheapest DLP 1024x768? resolution I can find with a 1000+ lumens rating. Now if money wasn't an issue, I'd have the 1024x768 but the fact is I don't really have the money if you know what I mean. On the other hand, I'm not gonna go out and spend 1500$ Canadian when I could spend that extra 500$ or so and get the higher res., spending this amount of money I just don't want to feel disapointed at the end. The thing is, I don't know about flying in 800x600, I'd rather bump it up to 1024 anyways. How is the picture when you bump a native 800x600 to 1024? Is it that bad? If you were to display the panel would you be able to read the guages and for that matter can you read em in native resolution anyways? Also the X2 has good lumen level by what I read, with those kinds of ratings how dark does a room have to be?The other thing is I'm getting this projector for my xbox and watching movies as well, so it's for more then just the one thing. How will a 800x600 fare for these circumstances?Another thing I want to keep in mind is I may want to upgrade my vid card to the 9800 or even the x800 since I'm running a 9600 and although I have the AA and such set at one level up and I get good frame rates, I'd rather not take a chance with getting a good enough quality and frame rate level for the projector. I may also want to hook up a second monitor to my dvi out(or whatever the case is) for a second view for fsnav or even a side view or something and that does drag the system down to the low teens and up to 15 or so fps at times. See with the projector and a vid card I'm possibly already talking 2500$ and that's not even buying a screen for it, I have white walls at my place so I may try that at first or find some cheap screen material and hang it up temporarily.Finally, does anyone know if most of the new screens can reverse the image and what kind of screen do I need to project from behind? I'm a deejay and I figured why not use the screen and add a service for my clients with music videos when able.Thx for all the help

Guest perchas

HiThe Infocus X2 is now the best relation price/quality, I use it for the simulator and also to see films, I am extraordinarily happy with my Infocus X1, I recommend you.RegardsRafael (Madrid Spain)

Guest drewhosick

How is it for changing resolution to 1024 instead of 800x600 as it's native res? Is it sharp enough still that you could read guages if you wished to? and does it still look awesome for the scenery graphics?

Guest perchas

Hi,The native resolution is 800x600 and the change of resolution to 1024x768 accepts it very well, is technology DLP (Micro Mirrors)and they do not see the pixel, comparing difference LCD.SaludosRafael

Guest mmorrell

I found an NEC 150LT DLP on EBay for $850 and replaced the lamp ($350) - great ;picture for both sim, HDTV and progressive can DVD...

Guest drewhosick

One other thing, I was reading somewhere that mirrors have to be installed professionally because they must be aligned or something. It was an older article, is this still the case? or can just anyone change lamps with the newer lcd and DLP models? I may just buy the X2 for the extra Lumens btw. Seems like a good purchase

Guest mmorrell

I'm not sure aboutany unit but the NEC LT150, but with mine the lamp comes in a complete assembly, almost like a cartridge that you remove and replace. I did spend another $120 to have it cleaned and checked out professionally. Lamp is rated for 1000 hours, but the one I replaced had over 1200 and I really don't noticce a difference with the new (so I kept the old one too!)

I take the opportunity of this eternally recurent thread (and this is a good thing) to ask a question : Who can advise decent, recent, cheap (or not) Wide-Lens projector ? Those models which don't need forty bathroom mirrors to give us a good display on our small room walls I've read about the Ray Sotkiewicz Panasonic model in a previous thread, unfortunately it is discontinued. :-hang