Sign in to follow this  
Guest hoohah

Feedback on pc power needed for Project Magenta

Guest hoohah

Hi All,After a number of years at this flightsim insanity, I've started on my first cockpit project. The first stage of version 1 is completed: I got a new pc for fs9 and relegated my old pc to WideFS duty, running AS2004, RCv3, and FDC, plus CH yoke and petals.I'm now moving on to stage 2. I've bought two small monitors (9-10") that I intend to use for PM glass cockpit and MCP/CDU. I haven't acquired the two pc's yet, which leads to my question.What is a good machine for PM use? PM's site says a P2 300 or better. I've been looking in the 400-700 MHz range with 128 Meg.I know the glass cockpit software will require more power than the autopilot and FMC.I'm trying to keep it "on the cheap" so I'll have more funds for stage 3 (speed-demon pc for FS, and triple monitor for outside views, then I think I'll have a good idea about what I want for a version 2 flight deck ;)TIA,

I run the PFD/ND on a 19 inch monitor. The PC is a P3-500 with a Geforce 4. The framerate is very smooth, also with all the navaids on in the ND.The CDU,MCP and EICAS runs on a PPro-200 and that runs without a problem too.Norbert

Guest Erups

The GC itself does not need much computing power, strictly graphic power with OpenGL (so pay attention the new pc you buy is equipped with a decent vga, not something eons old).The most computing power consumer is the FMC, followed at some distance by the MCP.

Guest hoohah

Thanks Claudio and Norbert for the feedback.It sounds like PM's recommendations are closeto reality. I've acquired one of the twomachines (P2 400) should be good enough forsomething.Cheers,

Guest Woof

Hi - for an 'on the cheap' solution, keep an eye on ebay's computing section. It takes a bit of patience to find the right lot, and some last minute bidding, but I've just managed to pick up 8 x PIII 450mhz for

>The GC itself does not need much computing power, strictly>graphic power with OpenGL (so pay attention the new pc you buy>is equipped with a decent vga, not something eons old).>The most computing power consumer is the FMC, followed at some>distance by the MCP.Then again, I have heard from real-life pilots that real FMC's are slow as well :) Especially those on a bit older planes like MD-11..//Tuomas

Guest rahulsh

I have just aquired my new P4 for the main FS, but my older PIII 650 Mhz seems to be having problems with FreeFD... The framerates hit about 2 per sec when connected across wideFS. I am wondering if te problem is due to missing OpenGL compatibility on my vedio card (Nvidia). Did not get time to delve deeper, but anyone faced similar issues? I have also heard of incompatibilities between the newer version of FSUIPC (placed in my PC by the PMDG 737TNG) and the freeware version of WideFS (Yes - I'll buy the newer version with PM as soon as I have the cash) - anyone seen that earlier?Also, I have a really old Pentium which I was planning to use somewhere... Can I use that with FSBUS to drive a separate set of panels, etc? Again the key question is whether FSBUS needs better power or not.Rahul SharmaNew Delhi, India.vt737ng@yahoo.com

I am using a AT PC power supply for FSBUS, you just need to put a good heatsink to the power regulator on the FSBUS COM-board, it gets very hot. But otherwise it's working fine.//Tuomas

I once read that the real thing has a P I - 60 mhz and the other CDU has a motorola 68000. So both CDU's have different processors for security reasons.But these do not have to run windows.Norbert