Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Lubricating a CH Sim Flight Yoke?

I've seen a lot of these things in screenshots for home builders... Anyway, I've got one, and it's getting awfully sticky... from what I understand, it's not the best idea to spray WD-40 on it ;) and I remember reading something about teflon spray, but I can't find it anywhere.Any suggestions?Thanks,Andrew

Plastic is made from petroleum. Vaseline should work or bicycle grease. You want something thick enough to stay. Just put a thin film on the parts that rub.John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest David Lee 2

The downside of Vaseline is it tends to trap dust and hair. I found it improved things a bit but eventually got worse. Teflon lubricant used to model trains worked the best but you never get smooth movement with the CH yoke. That's frustrating because in reality you grasp the yoke with one hand while the other remains on the throttle (at least during critical phases of flight). The CH doesn't respond well to that torque. I eventually bought the PFD Mooney yoke after hearing everyone's testaments and I have to say it is everybit as good as they said. Expensive but I've never looked back!David

Guest David Lee 2

That should read "PFC Mooney Yoke" but you guys probably knew thatDavid

Guest captain777

One thing to be mindful of is using 'spray' lubricants that use a solvent based delivery method (like acetone). Acetone attacks plastics as do other common solvents. I would use a silicone gel (not paste).Try "DOW CORNING - DC4" silicone gel.It is what is FAA approved for lubricating plastic meeting surfaces and works very well for my CH yoke. Make sure to lubricate both surfaces and both front and back...to help with the torque effect mentioned aboveAvailable at most aviation parts supply houses (www.chiefaviation.com, www.aircraftspruce.com, etc)

Guest captain777

:) he is SOOOOOO right! It's funny, but when I have a 'problem' with my car, I know it's going to cost me ~$100. However, when I have a 'problem' with my plane, it never costs less than $500!Actually, this stuff is ~$10.00 a tube. So...that may be expensive, but you can use it on a lot of things (any seal, windows, car doors, even your cockpit seat tracks!)If you want me to send you a little in a plastic baggy, or a tube, let me know...I have lots of it. Hopefully I don't get arrested for trafficking in expensive substances!