Sign in to follow this  
Guest Binkles

FSBUS and a really big newbie

Guest Binkles

Ok, so me being the dope on a rope that I am decide that with no electronics knowledge I could do an fsbus board and to show how stupid I am, I've soldered it all up, and I'm not sure if a) I have the polarity right on the DC (told you I was new).I have a multimeter, but hey again, new and not really sure what to test, where to test etc to see if I have it wired up correctly.Am I really fooling myself into thinking I can do this?Where should I be trying to test the voltage to see if it's working?When should the led light up?Is there a way to test it without another board (if I can't make this board, then I don't see it worth me forking out to build a FSKey board)Can I do this without plugging into the computer?Please don't say oh just test the voltage regulator because with my knowledge - I'll end up testing the onion sitting in my pantry.Is there anyone is Christchurch, New Zealand that would be interested in helping out this drongo who's imagination is too big for his shoes?

Guest Robid

I too have no electronics knowledge or background but bit the bullet and built FSCom, FSkey and FSad. Had a little trouble initially but now Com and Key work but having a little trouble with FSad.The main problem I had with the Com (First of all, the led should light up when you plug the power in regardless of whether it's connected to computer)was short circuits in the pcb board (I even etched them myself). Use the setting on your multimeter that checks continuity. Look at the diagram (either the post scrip or the component view) and make sure you have no shorts, especially around tight areas. It is hard to know if the com board is working until you try to flash one of the other boards through it such as key or fsad etc.Hope this helps a little.David

Guest Binkles

Part of my problem is I have no idea what I should be checking, how to check it and what results I should be looking for.Would love a million pictures with the likes of put black to here, red to here, and this is the result you should be getting :)I know that's not really possible, but I've got no knowledge and feel now I've bitten off way more than I can chew and certainly thinking twice before building the next one as I know I already have a piece of solder jumped to another line and trying to figure out how to get rid of it.Disheartened

Guest PoRrEkE

I have no idea either how to check such a card.What I would do is put the multimeter in Ohm (resistance) mode where it beeps. Then without powering the print connect points on your print that according to the schematic should NOT connect. This way you could scan for shortcirquits.Where did you get your PCB ? Did you make it yourself ? I think if you had it made profi and you know for sure you've followed carefully the component schematic .. nothing much can go wrong. Only make sure you got the + and the GND wired to the board right.You see, this is one of the reasons why I eventually chose to divert to Photon. Ready made and if something is wrong or not working, it's Scott Fausell, the manufacturer, who's got to solve the issue :(

Guest Binkles

I got the boards professionally printed as I have a friend in the business who does them.As to buying boards, well I guess I may of been better to do that, but I liked the ideals behind fsbus, plus seen the really good support for them in here.I'll keep trying, but as I'm not sure what to be looking for, I'm sorta stuck

Guest Binkles

Muahahahaha :)SorryOk, I've worked it out (well at least one thing) I think my power adapter was dicky, as after playing around for a while I could get no volts through it with the multimeter, and I could on other things.Eventually decided ok, what else is around 9v~12v and I remember hearing about computer power supplies are about that, and voila google around to find out how to hot wire one, and get it going and test it, well found the yellow is 5v and the red is 12, so re test and I have a glowing wee red light in the middle of my com board.Now to find out if I have the guts to plug it into the computer. :)Can I do any damage or can I put my multimeter on any of the pins on the 9pin to check anything?Sorry, I can see I'm gonna be asking a ton of questions.

Guest PoRrEkE

Sure you can damage stuff.How would you like to put what into your computer ? :/And as long as you don't use your multimeter as amp

Guest mondo

I believe if you go to the fsbus website and download the manuals for the boards. (I believe there are 2 or 3}. The manual tells of certains points on the boards where you can check the voltages. I do not have my manuals handy, but I will venture into the shed and see if I can dig them up to help you. Milt

Hi BinklesI replied to your email.Guys,i should be able to help him,i live in the same town.There is not to much you can do with the Fscom bd on its own.other than toggle a couple of lines and check with the meter.Les

Guest Binkles

Woohoo, well I'm still having fun and have both the com and keyboard made up, and confused.I've been getting help, and this has really helped, and given me ideas, and what to test for.Thought I would post an update of where I am, as I've been trolling the forum looking for tips as well, and the one i found was the voltages for the 555, and mine are all higher than the ones listed.I also drop from 13.5 on one set of pins, down to 11.15 once it goes to the 18k resistor on the key board.checking the pic socket I don't get any changes when I tick the boxes, but if I change the com1 to com2 I get a noticeable change in voltage from the 4&5 pin.This is all in programming mode.I've had to slice and wire some of the board as I couldn't get some solder that had jumped tracks removed.Just thought I would post this, in case someone one interested in how a newbie was going.I might have to make a webpage at some stage :)ICQ:8825540msn:lbinky@hotmail.com

Guest Binkles

Well after all the help from iwik I found out what the problem was and it was in the wiring from the board to the com port.The 10 pin wiring to the 9 pin was incorrect using the licorice strap system and ended up spliting the wires up and soldering the ones required to the 9 pin D.Once I did that I tested the pic socket on my keyboard pic and using the troubleshooting I got close enough results - all the 5v's were right, but the 13.5 only came up 11.17v but once I placed the chip in I tried a flash and it worked first time.I wired up a switch and it worked!!!!!!!!Boy was I happy!!!!