Sign in to follow this  
Guest RichardL

Airbus Push-Pull Rotary Encoders

Guest RichardL

For anyone needing Airbus style push-pull rotary encoders, I received this reply from Ted Deller at CSI ( http://em.ca/~cockpits/main.htm ) :They are optical rotary encoders, and require +5V DC along with a measuring circuit such as our rotary encoder module (ENC351). The push button and pull button require 1700 grams of pressure to activate, which is very similar to the aircraft standard. The push and pull buttons have a travel of .05 inches (1.27 mm).The whole switch takes up a very small footprint, which makes them ideal for cockpit control panels. There's no bulky assembly behind the panel; just a 3/4 inch diameter cylinder that is about 1 inch long.They aren't cheap, at a cost of $67 each, but if we can put together enough orders at once, the price comes down quite nicely to the $50 range. (USD) Let me know if you're interested in adding your name to the order list. We'll be asking for a small deposit to hold your place on the list, and then the balance when the switches arrive from the manufacr. It takes about 8-10 weeks to produce a batch of thesese switches to our specifications.Hope this helps Airbus builders,Richard

Guest RichardL

I do not have any yet. I just saw them offered yesterday and emailed CSI for details. There is a picture of the rotary decoder at the CSI website.Richard

Guest coenc

Thanks for the tip! But, in my humble opinion I think $50 or so dollar is ridiculous!!! Despite the fact that i'm going for Boeing (not Airbus), I do not understand that anybody would spend $50 a switch. Why not build a cockpit using simple rotary encoders, buttons and toggle switch, etc?

Guest RichardL

Hi,Yes, they are somewhat expensive but when you consider there are three switches in one (push, pull, and rotary) it's not too bad. One of the drawbacks of building the Airbus is getting the FCU (autopilot) to work with the Managed/Selected feature. There are only four rotaries on the FCU, (speed, heading, altitude, and vertical speed). Each has a knob that is pulled for Selected mode (pilot input with the rotary encoder) and pushed for Managed mode(CDU controlled). The altimeter is also controlled with a push/pull/rotary. You pull for Standard 29.92, and push to dial in the local altimeter setting. Others do offer a "holder" for the rotary encoder at $50 each but I believe you still have to buy the rotary encoder separate. With this push/pull/rotaryuni you have it all in one small package.However when you consider the price of a yoke for a Boeing flightdeck at $400+ or $60 for an Airbus joystick, the two sort of equal out.Richard