Sign in to follow this  
Guest PoRrEkE

flexible displays & ideas for new type display survey

Guest PoRrEkE

Hi folksOver at the company (X) where I do my holiday job they told me today that they have invented a new flexible display (not OLED) but for now it is black & white. However they are very proud of inventing it .. they can't think of any application :(I was thinking 'bout all this and I figure they'd better invent something else.For us simmers it would be handy if we would have some sort of TFT display that is built up out of 10 smaller displays. E.g. 800*600 resolution. Take upper left and cut 400*300 off. Lower right dito. Now your display exists out of 3 displays. Then devide the right part into 8 parts of 300*150. Or something like that.Now the "controller" sits in a box not attached to the displays directly and is a controller for a 800*600 display. The little displays are wired to the controller and the controller is wired to a single AGP or PCI card.This way we could fit a very flat and spall panel for the glass cockpit CRT's and the other small ones can be used for the analogue (digital) gauges. Lots more cockpit types would be easy to make! Think a310 or b727 or the older 747. With just 2 of these "screens" you could tile up your entire cockpit.For the image it shows it does not work as if it were 10 separate screens but as if it were 1 big 800*600 sized.NOW, for us simmers that would be ideal. Now in order for me to maybe suggest this idea to the development department of company X .. I need other applications that might want to use this type of thingy. Cuz if I go tell them or mail them this and tell them it's for a bunch of HC builders only they will give me the finger :(So my job ends next week on thuseday. So by then if anyone can come up with a good use for this ... let me know .. who knows they build this thing and we can take advantage of it ...

Guest twabi2

Other company's have invented something simmelar already, and these are some uses: (next part is in dutch because I can't find the right words right now, but Phillipe, you'll understand it)Ze gebruikten het voor grote merken, om veranderende (reclame?) boodschappen op kledij (jassen enzo) te zetten.Wat mij ook leuk lijkt, is vb op tassen. Je kent ze wel, die tassen voro vb: een verjaardag. het zou wel cool zijn om die te personaliseren. Ik weet alleen niet of het in de vaatwasser zou mogen :(Mss is het ook iets voor casemodders.Dan heb je een window waar je systeeminfo op kan tonen, of om over de (gebolde) voorkant van hun kast te leggen...Toepassing genoeg!

Guest PoRrEkE

Tnx :)However I am more concerned 'bout finding applications for the (as I call it now) Tiled-Display than for the flex one. Flex is their problem :( Might be cool though if I bring them a sollution for them to use it for and then I give them the Tiled-Display idea .. maybe they will feel more positive then.I have talked about this with a few people and what I came up with are following things.1) it would be possible to fit 2 displays back-to-back. This way you could e.g. play a game against eachother while sitting "t