Sign in to follow this  
Guest twabi2

Barberpoles

Guest twabi2

hello!As some of you know, I'm building a Space Shuttle simulator.In the real shuttle, you have a bunch of indicators, called talkbacks or barberpoles. They show the status of a system (open/closed, latched/released, up/down, ...) in between these points (while opening, latching, ...) it shows diagonally placed lines, hence the name barberpoles. My question is: does anyone know where I can buy such things, or how to make it myself?I have absolutly no idea!TIA, Toine

Guest High Octane

Perhaps you want to show picture to us... Maybe I can help you by telling where to get this or how to make one of these.

Guest twabi2

will try!are there steppers that small?And how much do they cost?

Guest High Octane

Well, to say this this might be hard to find smaller size stepper motor. I have seen one that is at least 2 inches in length and 1.5 inches at diameter. Normally, if you are going to look around for one through digi-key, mouser, jameco or any other electronic manufactuers you wouldn't probablly find one in stock. If you really want to have smaller stepper motor so that it can fit inside or behind the panel. you might want to consider on RC motor. Stepper motor may cost vary, it depends on the type of motor you're looking for. Normally they would cost $20-100's The motor that you should look for is 4 winding unipolar handling approx 5v 300mA/3A (this one probablly cost 20-25 dollars) Hmm about RC motor, I wouldn't know much about it but I hear that they are convenient to use for simulation. You can try ask someone who know much about RC motor, Mike Powell may be one that has answer to everything.

Guest twabi2

DamnThere are about 175 barberpoles, so I think I'm just going to use indicating LED's behind plates with something printed on.Thanx anyways!

Guest MikePowell

All Electronics sells a small stepping motor that's an inch in diameter, and costs less than a dollar in quantity. http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/cate...T-65&type=store The motor could mount inside the cylinder and connect directly to it without any gears. You would still need a sensor to determine the rotational position of the cylinder upon power up. A low end PIC micro controller could step the motor with the help of a power buffer chip.Total parts costs still comes up to several dollars per unit, but at least you would get quantity pricing!Similar indicators used in fighter aircraft have a pair of coils that directly move the indicator flag. Nothing fancy inside, just basic eletromechanical stuff. You might consider using a rotating cylindrical flag as Arthur suggests, but use a pair of linear solenoids to rotate it up or down, respectively. You would need a spring (or pair of springs to return the flag to the central position when neither solenoid is powered.I don't know of any cheap sources of solenoids, but they are simple in construction. You might very well be able to wind them yourself. Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest High Octane

175 Barberpoles? First of all, how does barberpole work... Meaning, do you have to toggle or push the switch so it can roll up/down? or does it have to perform by "physically-manually-it" how?Second of all That is something we all the cockpit builders has faced with that situation. I assure most of cockpit builder has more than 300 switches or mechanical function, and etc. Half of them are working via interface card, and half of them are manually (imaginable function). I can suggest you two things: 1) in order to save up money instead of buying 175 motors. You can manually make your own motor. (I think Mike Powell or someone else has instruction on making homemade motor.) But understand this, this may not be as perfect as the stepper at least it get what you have wished for = ) 2) Or manaually get that barberpoles to roll up/down using gears. Example. pull up/down the slider (if have in shuttle sim) it will roll up/down the barberpoles.Hope that helps

Guest twabi2

> I assure most of cockpit builder has more than 300 switches or mechanical function, and etc. Half of them are working via interface card, and half of them are manually (imaginable function). LOL, I have about 800, and I'll be connecting them ALL! ;)> First of all, how does barberpole work... Meaning, do you have to toggle or push the switch so it can roll up/down? or does it have to perform by "physically-manually-it" how?It gives feedback. It's not because you trow a switch, the barberpole changes... The GPC can change barberpoles too.I'll see what I'll do, if I come across something, I'll let you know.Also, Gene Buckle suggested using solenoids, so I'll make some of each type (solenoid, stepper, ...) and see what works best / cheap.

Guest High Octane

Good deal! 800 switches-- whew! I wish you good luck... let me know how it goes with barberpoles.