Sign in to follow this  
Guest Woof

A warning about DynDNS.org

Guest Woof

Hi all,I know that many of us host websites about the progress of our sims. I do this, and because I have a dynamic IP address I used a Dynamic DNS company to 'point' to my servers (actually this is mainly for email).DynDNS appear to be a large company providing a perfect service for users like me (us). However, after taking money from my bank account twice (for one service), they adamantly refuse that this has happened, even faced with bank statements!My complaint was being handled by their CEO, Tim Wilde. Here is just one line from his helpful email to me:"Is our world SO f****d up that people don't BELIEVE service providers when they tell them things any more?"I have edited the fifth word somewhat. Unbelievable.Sorry for the slightly offtopic post, but I know several other simmers who use dynamic dns.CheersChris

Guest PoRrEkE

now THAT is f****d up !how can someone like that be CEO :/I am not one, so I feel free to say it myself :( ... though even I use the ***********'sI'd mail him back a spam from fanta: "welcome to the world!"

Guest mbessler

First of all: this really is off topic!>DynDNS appear to be a large company providing a perfect>service for users like me (us). However, after taking money>from my bank account twice (for one service), they adamantly>refuse that this has happened, even faced with bank>statements!dyndns.org offers both free and paid services. Most people use the free services. For that, there was no need to give out any bank information.So I conclude you have used one of their paid services, and there was some kind of error, possibly on their side. You did even not mention if there was more that this one email from their CEO.If you have tried to resolve the issue with them (using professional language) and it didn't help, why don't you take it to a lawyer or take similar steps. This forum can't do anything for you. This is NOT the right place for this!Regards,Manuel

Guest Woof

Manuel,Thanks for your comments. I agree that the post was a little off topic, as mentioned in the first post, but I, along with many others, do take notice of the service received by Avsim users from all kinds of suppliers. Some of them are directly related to sim building, some of them are indirectly related, as per this one.There were a total of about 5 email messages, including one insisting that any phone call I made would not be answered, and finishing with another offering a refund for one (the only one they can find) of the charges. This email arrived after my post here. All the other emails were short, sharp, unhelpful and dismissive, including the use of profanity by the company's CEO. I cannot involve a lawyer, as I am in the UK, they are in the US.You are correct in that it was a 'paid for service'. I opted to pay for the service as there are, allegedly, better service guarantees compared to the free services. Obviously not in this case.My apologies of you feel the thread is completely off topic, but I for one appreciate feedback (honest, accurate feedback) from other users about companies that I might decide to use. Sharing knowledge of many kinds is what I believe a good forum is all about.RegardsChris

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

Although I'm not the sort of person to jump on the bandwagon about this sort of thing, I'd like to make a couple of points known...Firstly, yes this is a forum for sharing thoughts and ideas related to the flight simulation industry/hobby, and we welcome any helpful suggestions and comments regarding all aspects of this community.Secondly, as mentioned above, this is a community for flight simulation enthusiasts, not a community for company-bashing! If you do have any problems with any company you have dealt with, with regards to your project, please please PLEASE don't burden us with your troubles! If I was to go to a local PCB fabricators shop and ask them to make some PCB's for me, and they come out cr@p, I'm not going to come on here and say "This company ripped me off!! Don't use them!!" as it's a bit pointless. Most people would probably have never heard of them, and quite frankly may not want to hear about it either. So your best bet would be to approach someone like an ombudsman about your problem, and give them as much info as possible. There should be one in the US that can help with internet trading companies.Other than that, there's not a lot anyone else can do to help, apart from say a few rude words in return :( So posting it on this forum isn't exactly going to help, apart from make you feel better!In short, please keep it on the flight simulator topic. You've read what Ken Salter has to say about this...

I support Chris in his compliant letter. As sim builder I buy enough stuff that I wind up not using or the idea and item doesn

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

My $0.0002 worth on this:Given that this forum doesn't see nearly the number of posts daily as some of the more active forums, I think a little latitude would be allowed.What may be considered off-topic for some, may not be for others. I was actually looking for a company to do Dynamic DNS for a few of my sim-related sites. I can now scratch one name off that list, solely because of the way the CEO responded to one of our fellow simmers. His method of communication was completely unprofessional.And in regards to that Circuit Board manufacturer? I'd like to know about that as well, seeing as I manufacture circuit cards for sim builders and am always looking for quality providers at the best price.So, because a certain post may fall outside of some very narrow personal guidelines for some with ample time to police forums for off-topic posts, doesn't mean it's off-topic to ALL of us. Please don't presume to be everyone's personal forum cop.

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

I think what we're all trying to say is we don't want a repeat of the events that cased Ken Salter to remove a topic from the forum and issue a warning. As far as informing people about reputable(!) companies is concerned, I'm all for it. What I'd rather not see (and waste my time reading) is the mud-flinging that some people enjoy doing.

Guest Woof

Hi All,Thanks for the replies, on both sides of the fence. We all have different opinions and I respect that. I deal with all sorts of companies, some with great service, some with poor service and I often shout about good service, rarely shouting about bad service.I made the post because I was dumbfounded by the response I received. I was more dumbfounded when I realised this was directly from the CEO of the company. I'm sure that most of us are intelligent enough to know when someone is company bashing just for the hell of it, which I strongly disagree with, and when someone has genuinely received poor service.To be fair, I will mention that after I informed him that I wanted to cancel, he immediately issued a refund (i think!), and the email was succinct and in no way offensive. Maybe I just caught him on a bad day, but first impressions do count.Thanks again to all, and hopefully this is the end of the thread!Chris