Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Fresnel recommendations?

Hi - I'm considering a fresnel solution since it may be much less expensive than projectors...I've seen the mulit-billion dollar version from Bugeye ;) which looks great but I can't afford it.Also, of course, I could begin with one, and add on.I've looked around online and seen everything from cheap ones that guarantee 50 gazillion times increase, and expensive ones that are 1.1x multipliers. I have no idea what to look for in terms of quality, and, more importantly, what to look for in terms of usability!Anyone use these things?Obviously I'd like a huge display ;)Thanks,Andrew

I just got one about a week ago. It made quite a difference with my 17" monitor--looks to be at least 21." Slight blur/distortion but the magnification makes it worthwhile. I got mine for about $40.00 at:www.maxiaids.comBetter and more expensive ones can be found. Search for "fresnel lens" in these forums for quites a lot of discussion on the subject. FOr the money, I'm very pleased with my purchase.Randall

I tried out one from Staples (8.5 x 11, 2x, rigid) and it didn't seem to do anything I'd be interested in!The visuals were clear enough, but the thing was too small, I guess, because I couldn't see even close to the edges; also, I got virtually no sense of "extra depth" beyond maybe a few centimeters...Hmmm...Thanks,Andrew

You need one bigger than that. Mine is 22" in diameter--they go as high as 30". They sell them at the website above as "TV Enlargers."Randall

Guest MikePowell

Andrew,(First, a caveat: I don't use large Fresnel lenses, so this isn't from personal experience.)The "optimal" size of the lens seems to be about the size of the monitor case, or slightly larger. The lens is positioned just far enough away from the monitor so that the screen image just fills the field of view of the lens. The image you see will appear to be somewhat more distant than the actual physical distance to the screen. Lenses work well in reducing or eliminating the stereoptic visual clues that make the image seem close. A true scenery image is 2D from the stereoptic perspective. Anything beyond 30 feet appears flat because of the distance between our eyes and the anatomy of our eyes. The mind build a 3D interpretation of a distant scene based on other clues (like relative sizes of objects). When you look at a monitor 2 feet from you, your visual sense knows it's too close for a true, distant 3D, and it's difficult to get into a "suspension of disbelief" frame of mind. The lens moves the image optically farther away. This removes or reduces true 3D clues so other clues are used to to build a fake, but desireable, 3D interpretation.There is more information here http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/stereopsis.htmand a list of Fresnel lens sources here http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/links_1.htm about 2/3 of the way down the page.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com