Sign in to follow this  
Guest Binkles

Alternatives to Project Magenta

Guest Binkles

I was looking at a 737ng as the plane of choice for my cockpit, but to be honest, I think I'll change that. PM was be awesome etc, but I'm not keen on paying close to $600nz for the display panels.There is another alternative that I've found FreeFD but I found that the frames are about the same as using the default pmdg panel, but not as indepth.Are there any others?I don't mind paying, but as I said, $600 is just way too much for this pocket.Or should I decide on a different plane - ie a general Aviation one. Where I'm not reliant on such an expensive system.Again I'm not knocking it - it looks awesome, if you can afford it, then that's great, I just can't.

Guest twabi2

I'm currently develloping a system to create your own glass cockpits very easy.Sa if you can wait a couple of months :)

Guest PoRrEkE

You know what would be super ?Having the option to have a program external to FS, which uses *.gau files from FS.Ahaa! Then you just take existing gauges, put them on an external exe panel instead of in FS panel and vwala ...If someone could make this software ... that would be well awesome!

>You know what would be super ?>>Having the option to have a program external to FS, which uses>*.gau files from FS.>>Ahaa! Then you just take existing gauges, put them on an>external exe panel instead of in FS panel and vwala ...>>If someone could make this software ... that would be well>awesome!You probably know this...but you can use WideView, just don't display the out of cockpit window, only put up the gauges you want..FS eats the cpu, so...it's not a perfect solution.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Guest PoRrEkE

Yap uhu indeed.But not with FS9. 2 bad.Also with each version of FS you'd need a new version of wideview, while if you'd get them on an exe, all you'd need is a new version of fsuipc and widefs.

Guest twabi2

That's not what I'm making :(Altough that's a good idea!

Guest yoss

Lets face the sad factNo real alternatives so far

>Lets face the sad fact>No real alternatives so farCan't you display just gauges on the WideFS "master" server and put all the visual screens on the slaves? Shoulnt that work? And you can just stick, say, 3 videocards or a Parhelia on the gauge machine, should be enough..?//Tuomas

Guest yoss

hi TuomasThere are some limted optons exsept Pm but all of them are incompletefor heavy airliners simulation and some of the not interfacable like PMDG I could mention the Realityxp gauges or Realcrt wich can be interfaced via keystrokes and used, but still lack of FMSand both has to run on the same FS mashineThats why i have the multimonitor setup--parhelia for scenery, two sceeens with custom bitmaps for the MIP, one for fms or gps and one for the overheadSo PM is still only game in town with interfacable Mcp, Pfd ,Nd and complete Fms with ability to work on networked computers Unfortunatly extremly expencivefor Ga aircrafts more options of course Many of us did build hardware interfaces like Fsbus on other which works via Fsuipc offsets but so far only Ms standart based software or Pm can be used with themKeystrokes can be assighnet of course but i still didnt find the way to trigger multiple keystrokes to knitters with FSbus for exampleI am gouing to try to network two computers via Wideview leaving one of them to handle scenery and other the gauges but the hardware interfacing and lack of Fms will still remain a problem until somebody will provide us with alternativeSo here we areRegards

Guest belairvideo

TWIN OTTER.PARHELIA for three outside view monitors.MATROX DUAL HEAD for engines display on centre monitor and GPS display on another monitor.MATROX single head to video splitter serving left and right PFD on respective monitors.This requires one AGP slot and two PCI slots - all cards are MATROX.FS PANEL STUDIO allows me to select and move any gauge relating to ANY aircraft that I want to. When the panels are made up - simply undock and move to the desired monitor!I have -ONE computer with 2g processor and 1g ram.MATROX PARHELIA. AGPMATROX DUAL HEAD. PCIMATROX SINGLE HEAD.PCI ( If you want info on the cards - mail me)VIDEO SPLITTER.SIX 17" MONITORS.ONE 13" MONITOR.I also use HAGSTROM for switches etc and a hefty 12 volt dc supply.GO-FLIGHT can also be very useful, especially the AUTO PILOT. These units can be re-modelled to suit your chosen aircraft. The electronics stay the same - but you jigger the appearance!With all this going on, I still get 30 plus FPS flying over Chicago or New York! How much more do you want?With apologies to the purists.......TONY. (U.K.) belairvideo@aol.com

>With apologies to the purists.......No apologies, PICS! :)Yea, that's the way I am going too, just with one visual I think - unless I find a Parhelia for myself.//Tuomas

Guest Binkles

Can I be like tons of other people when they hear something is being made and ask for more details?

Guest BAW063

Hi guys,Im building a 767 300 based around PIC. I have a fast high ram machine running fs2002 with 3 video cards. Two 512mb dual head RADs (one AGP the other PCI) and a PCI TNT 64mb.This gives me 5 displays. Using FSpanel studio I edited the PIC panel.cfg to give me full size working gauges.I have a full size ADI ND ECAS FMC etc with a 19" monitor for forward view with the MCP pasted on the bottom. I have a 17" flat panel suspended at 45 degrees over my head for the overhead panel.It has worked a treat. No time lag at all. I did try edit a few more addon panels but had less sucsess with these in terms of frame rate loss and instrument lag. Simulation hardware offer a good 767 ECAS display although it doesnot extrapolate PIC ECAS messages.James

Guest belairvideo

Hi James.Do you find that one of your undocked windows is out of place when you start up and you have to drag it to it's monitor each time?Maybe it's because I am using Parhelia for outside views?Just a thought!TONY. (U.K.)