Sign in to follow this  
Guest David Lee 2

Ventilation fan for sim room?

Guest David Lee 2

My sim room gets a little warm with everything running and a few people in it. I would like to add the realistic round vents seen in aircraft to the cockpit. Anyone have any tips for an electric fan that could be connected to the vents via plastic hose? I can visualize what I want but can't think of where I might find it. Thanks!David

Guest Tomlin

Well, mine will actually have a small a/c unit on the top since it will be fully enclosed, with the pack switch(es) connected to the actual a/c on top, but for you, you can go to Walmart, buy a box fan and build a shroud around it that narrows down to the size of Dryer vent ducting, and then have that narrow down to the airvent size.

Guest David Lee 2

THought of an idea and it was so close to me it could have bit me! I could use one or two PC cooling fans. I don't know how much power they have but it sure is easy enough to try. Thanks for the reply. Good luck with the AC units but make sure the "works" are outside because they generate more heat than they cool if they are in an enclosed area.David

Guest Erups

>THought of an idea and it was so close to me it could have>bit me! I could use one or two PC cooling fans. I don't know>how much power they have but it sure is easy enough to try.From as low as 0.1w to watt and watt.I suggest you go looking in some "overclocking" (online)store, they usually show air flow (in cubic feet or meters), power requirements and also the noise rating of the fans they sell.Some fans (like the Deltas) produce a real bothering noise, to the point they need sound insulation (like some extreme Delta fans...).And beware that the smaller the fans (in relation to the volume of air they move) the higher the noise.That said, standard 12cm ventilation fans come with a nice bargain between air flow and noise, usually they are quiet.Also in the same stores you could find special fans, made for those who don't like noise, so especially silent in their operation.Do not expect magical flows from them though.

Guest Delta767300pdx

hello, I'm in the planning stages, of my sim shell, but I have thought ahead and considered using shop vac. hose to pipe air in to the overhead fixtures. I think the tubing is about 1.5 inches, and with all the fittings that are out there, im sure you can rig it up fairly cheep.jason

Guest Tomlin

I mention the a/c unit because the sim will be located in a seperate building, so it wont be a heat source for a small bedroom size room since it will be in a much bigger space. If all goes as planned, there may even be a second sim build right along side the one that is currently being built. So, it will be easier to cool a 16x8x8 unit instead of the whole garage!By the way, the shop vac hosing is exactly what I was thinking of too!