Sign in to follow this  
oal331

Best Low Cost Projector for FS External View?

Hi,i was looking to find information, about a low cost projector for the forward external view for my Fs2004.I found many many different products, LCD or DLP technology and with different specs. So, in conclusion, the low cost projectors, are 800X600 analysis and i can find also LCD or DLP.I have some questions, if anybody knows to help me:1) 800X600 is good acceptable for external view?2) When a projector is offered for 800X600, can support higher analysis (1024x768) or not? This reduce the image quality? 3) How many Ansi Lumens are acceptable for an interior room projection?4) DLP technology give better Contrast, is true? Better contrast is needed for the black color, so we need it for night flights?5) Does anyone know about Toshiba TDP-S20(DLP) or HP VP6111 ?6) Any other advice, maybe for the db or lamp, or other special futures?Your experience from the projector you have for flying with Fs, it will be valuable for all of us the cockpit builders, now or in the near future, as the projector's prices getting more and more cheap beacause the new Plasma Tv monitors etc. ThanksEddie ArmaosAthens-Greece

So,no answers :-((Nobody use projector for FS or knows about it ??? Ok, if and and i will buy one in the future, i will post my experience here.... Eddie ArmaosAthens-Greece

>no answers :-((>Nobody use projector for FS or knows about it ??? I too was hoping to read some answers as I'm also interested in getting a projector. Anyone out there? :-)

www.projectorcentral.com has a lot of good information on existing and out of production projectors. I use that in combination with ebay and their referenced website to price replacement lamps (which are $200-$300) **before** bidding on an ebay projector!

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Guest perchas

Hi Eddie>1) 800X600 is good acceptable for external view?Re. Is Aceptable and more better 1024x768>2) When a projector is offered for 800X600, can support higher analysis (1024x768) or not? This reduce the image quality?Re. The infocus X1 has a native res of 800x600 and supports 1024x768 as well. The image is sharper in 1024. However, in 800, the characters are more "seeable" from a distance. It's difficult to explain.>3) How many Ansi Lumens are acceptable for an interior room projection?1.100 or 1.300 lumens is a minimun for a day light room.>4) DLP technology give better Contrast, is true? Better contrast is needed for the black color, so we need it for night flights?The last techn. Faradujya DLP is better than LCD. You don't get good blacks in either system.>5) Does anyone know about Toshiba TDP-S20(DLP) or HP VP6111 ?RE. No, I

>www.projectorcentral.com has a lot of good information on>existing and out of production projectors. I use that in>combination with ebay and their referenced website to price>replacement lamps (which are $200-$300) **before** bidding on>an ebay projector!Good background technical specs & information there but it does not address the specific needs for flight simulation purposes. Specifically what resolution is considered acceptable for outside views (since it does not have to show any instruments). Is it necessary to spend big dollars or is one of the cheaper units perfectly acceptable for flight sim? What are some of you builders out there using and what would you have done differently when it comes to projectors? In a totally dark room, what would be the brightness required to achieve the best sense of 'reality' (is brighter always better or are there diminishing returns)?There are so many products out there, it's really hard to pick one unless we know what are the key elements necessary to achieve acceptable results. Is how much you spend always the deciding factor?Just hoping to hear from people who are currently using projectors and who could shed some light (pardon the pun) for prospective or current cockpit builders.Thanks

Captains thanks for your replies.Rafael, I will try to find Infocus X1 and check the specs and the price of course.I understand about the better analysis in 800X600 for the characters. Without panel, but only for external view (scenery) is any difference? Can i use a higher resolution 1024X768 without any problem? I thought that a 800X600 projector displays only 800X600 and when the input signal is 1024X768 it compress it back to 800X600. Is that true?Eddie ArmaosOAL331Athens - Greece

Eddie,If you look back in the archives or do a search, I think you will find a lot of your answers and some other information. There have been several good threads on projectors in the past year.John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Just a couple general comments about LCD projectors.I have had an old, dim, 800x600 projector (made by Sharp) on loan from my employer for a few weeks - we have moved to XGA resolution for presentation projectors so this one is essentially obsolete. What I have to put up with:- The projector lens has what seems to be permanent spots on it, which are noticeable when a lot of the projected image is white or near-white.- My current projection surface is a painted wall with a couple screws in it that are pretty distracting.- It requires a fairly dark room.But - even with my far-less-than-optimal projector and "screen", my FS experience has been greatly improved. I had been planning on buying my own XGA projector but that is on indefinite hold due to the high cost - for now the SVGA resolution is acceptable.One thing that does help is to turn on anti-aliasing; for some reason texture shimmering is a lot more noticeable on the projected image than on my monitor. AA does take some processor horsepower of course...Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack