Sign in to follow this  
Guest steve777

FSBUS COM new builder

Guest steve777

Hi to everybody, I am new entry in the forum but with an old question.I have made the FSBUS COM Bord and it doesn't seem to work. The strange thing is that the software doesn't recognize the card as connected.If I disconnect the card from the PC, the software it behaves equally. Do you think the connection is wrong??thanks for your replyPS : Now I'll try to check all FSCOM voltages !

Guest Erups

The check implemented in the software, is no real check, as the card could never respond to any inquiry.The card is "stupid" (contrary to intelligent) that means it has no processing logic on it.It could never answer to a test from the software.The only test that is done, is a test that ensures the software is able to communicate to the com-port drivers.And thus able to send messages to the cards.If you have your "com" icon always crossed, then you have a problem with the com ports themselves, not the com3 card.

Guest steve777

Hi Claudio,The "COM3" icon is not crossed ! So it seems to be all ok.But how can i verify if there is a good connection between COM card and PC?thanks:-roll

Guest Erups

With the voltage checking utility.The only lines going from the computer to the cards and back, are those you are able to test.Then you can flash a pic and re-read it and see if everything is ok.Or you could do as many of us do: just fire it up and hope it works :)sometimes it does and it's party time :-lol

Guest Binkles

My biggest suggestion - as a newbie myself, is to build a second board - ie a key board - display board etc - but the key board is pretty simple.This way you can test the board - and get some instant results as well.Hope this helps, and remember, any problems always ask here - people here are very patient - and expert at doing these things!

Guest steve777

Claudio,I checked voltages with the FSBUS checking utility.Pin 12 & 13 of a PIC toggle from 0 to 5 V correctly but Pin 4 is always at 13.6v.BYe

Guest Erups

>Pin 4 is always at 13.6v.This can have a number of causes.Try to follow the scheme, look if you have set your jumpers correctly, look if you have connected the right pins of the com-port to the board (swapping pin3 with another may lead to this problem).I can't really help that much.You have to follow the line that pulls up the 13.5v and see where the problem is.

Guest steve777

I'm going to check again. I hope last time.thanks

Guest steve777

After last check, I decided to build another COM Card again.Now my new card works well. The other doesn't work ! May be for some bad component.The right thing is that the new card works.Also the key card works fine. I would like to thanks you all for your important replays.I'm goin now to build Display card and I hope all goes fine.An advise for all new builders. Start mounting connectors, IC bases and jumpers and then verify with digital multimeter for shorts. After that proceed to mount the other component and check them with electrical scheme.Be sure to buy correct components.Good luck

Yep, also for the flat cable stuff- it is better to get those "sockets" for the flat cable connectors on the boards instead of just "spike rail". The sockets, like the ones on the motherboard of your computer for the IDE cable etc.. - they fit just one way around and you dont accidentally mount stuff wrongly. OF course you need to be careful to mount them correctly in the first place :-)//Tuomas