Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbr1000f

Projector throw length and mirror use questions

Guest cbr1000f

My cockpit project is in the basement, with 7.5 ft ceilings. The projector needs 13 ft to fill the screen, and I feel that about 6-8 feet would be the optimal seating distance. It's difficult with the low ceiling to mount the projector high enough to fill the screen without either hitting my head or the top of the instrument panel. I've been thinking about trying to use mirrors to redirect the display. In a front projection world, I'll need to use two mirrors. What have you folks done to accomplish this? My inital efforts were less than stellar accomplishments. One of the problems is that the image expands very rapidly, and as the angles increase, keystoning becomes a problem.I'm starting to move from a generic recip twin cockpit, to a full blown DC-3/R4D sim, and I need to get the display system down so I know where in the basement I'll be positioning it. Thanks, --jeff

Guest perchas

Hi Jeff,If You have CorelDraw 11, I send a file to you with the solution that I have adopted, one with a mirror and another one with two, at this moment I

Guest cbr1000f

I don't have access to Corel Draw at this time....You are doing front or rear projection? I'm doing front.regards--jeff

Rafael,you can export them in jpg format and send them here as attachements.Maybe other friends will find your ideas useful !!Kalimera :-)Eddie ArmaosAthens-Greece

Guest MattOlieman

I've been looking at this concept, since it's presentation here, but here comes the BUT. My concern (questions) is 1)Size of mirrors, 2)Size of projection screens, 3)Degradation of resolution, 4)Cost of mirrors. Anyway, projector prices coming down, resolution going up.....Anybody do this yet, and have it working?

Guest mmorrell

Matt,I have played around with this a little bit with two projectors, mirrors and backlit screen with pretty good results, although my experiments so far are pretty primitive. I've decided to go with a parhelia card and am shooting for at least 120 degrees of view. A friend of mine does custom mirros for a living and we are playing around with using shorter mirrors and angling them in small increments, matching as close as possible the curve of the screen to reduce distortion around the curve re: keystoning and focus. This will eliminate the distortion in the URL referenced.My room is 12X8 with 8' ceiling. The distance from projectors to mirrors is around 6' and the distance from the mirror to the screens is around 6.5'. The screens are (going to be) 160 degrees and 108" from end to end. The display from both projectors is 6' high and 12' wide (6X6X2). This will allow me to sit in the cockpit and be able to lean forward and look "down" at the scenery to the extent of the front of the cockpit shell... pretty convincing in tests anyway. I'm kind of kludging it right now (using sheets and off-the-shelf mirrors) but it seems a pretty good proof of concept. There will stil be some distortion where the mirrors intersect and toward the far ends of the display, and of course, it's gonna take some significant tweeking to get optimized, but it's good enough so far to keep going.I'll post results as things progress...Oh yeah... Go Yankees!

Guest MattOlieman

Hmmmmm.... Go Yankees....Mitch, thanks for the info, and I will very much appreciate the progress report.BTW, update your site!!!! :) :)

Guest mmorrell

I will - once it starts snowing ;)Yanks 19 - Boston - 8... Who's your daddy?

Guest mmorrell

Yes - glass mirrors. They don't have to be too big - 36" high or so depending on your dostance from the projector. Remember that you eveffetively double the distance from projecto to screen when you use mirrors, so they don't have to be too big in a smaller space (like mine. We are also experimenting with splitting the image by using smaller mirrors in the light path to minimize distortion as the display wraps around the sim. Something like below: ------------------ / / / / Lousey representation, but you get the idea... a couple of mirrors in the path toward the edges to reflect back at a different angle to prevent the view out the left or right cockpit window from being too distorted.

Guest Salbado

I too will be watching with a keen interest as I have basically the same size room with an A320 flightdeck perched in it that looks like the proverbial 2000 pound elephant. I only have one projecter in the back throwing a 6 x 8 foot front view that looks pretty good. I need side views now. Sal I think I missed you in Denver.