Sign in to follow this  
Guest NWBear

Electricity for the cockpit- how to provide enough powe...

Guest NWBear

Ok, since I am not an electrician, could I get some input on how to approach plugging in all of the computers and monitors I will have when I get my pit built. (did a search, couldnt find anything). Dont want to start popping fuses or having to open up the spillway at the local dam to generate more electricity when I power up!So here is what I would probably be looking at:2 computers3-5 monitors1 stereo amplifier2-3 cooling fans for the consoleSo looking at needing a minimum of 8 plug ins, bit the wall only has 2.So do you guys just plug in a couple of heavy duty power strips to get the extra plugs, or do you start tearing down sheetrock and have the local electrician put in some sort of power distribution panel?I can just see the light in the neighborhood going down as I start powering up things:)Thanks in advance!Jeff

Guest Erups

If you are going to use CRT monitors, 3 of them will use 500w.Add 2 computers and that's about another 500w.An amplifier has its power rating clearly stated: 60+60w rms?That's 120w MAX (that's to say you'll never get it), plus some fans you can even not calculate so small is the power consumption (unless you're talking vac fans?).Now that's about 1kw: simply split on the two wall plugs and you'd be save (providing your electricity distribution system is safe and ok): each plug should be able to sustain at least 1.5kw.Keep in mind that electric hovens (not microwave) consumes about 2kw, bigger ones even more.And a vaccum cleaner is often rated at 1200w or more.So you'll be in no more stress then you house daily use :)

If you check the size of the circuit breaker or fuse and multiply that times the voltage, you will get the max watts for the circuit. The smallest circuit breaker found in most modern US homes is 20 amps. Multiply that times average voltage of 120v and you get a maximum wattage draw of 2400. If I remember correctly, US codes call for a maximum average of 80% or 1920 watts.John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest Erups

Do you still use fuses in US?????Unbelievable :-eek

LOL - I am showing my age.Some old houses that haven't had the wiring updated still do. All houses built in the last 25 years or better have used CBs.I actually mentioned fuses in case some of our non-USA friends are more familiar with them over CBs. I hope I didn't insult anyone? :)John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset