Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pete737NG

1st time home cockpit builder needs help....please

Guest Pete737NG

Hello everyone, Im Pete from Rhode Island, Ive been simming pretty steadily since FS98, and I am now ready to pursue my dream of an enclosed 737NG sim, I'd say Im nearing the end of my research phase and I am dying to order my first product. Through hundreds of hours of reviewing forums and websites I am lead to belive that the MIP would not be a bad choice( I think). You see, I think Ive solved my initial problem of trying to build a house without knowing whether to pour the foundation or do the plubming first ( bad analogy perhaps ). But I still face a serious problem. My programming skills are adequate at best(fast learner though) and I basically have no knowledge on the correct steps to assemble, (panels w/ buttons and switches attached to cicuit boards)mount and interface my hardware to FS9. I am mainly interested in FDS products and would like to know the extent of there support (or anyone els for that matter) regaurding their products in the hands of someone who has never built a home cockpit. Are there instructions describing how to install the components? How many switches will I need for a given panel, what does a particular product entitled with or without hardware envolve? How many steps are there between the physical panel and FS? any advise, references or info would be appreciated more than you could imagine!! Sincerly Pete -I dont care how difficult, costly or time consuming this project may be, It is my dream and I will make it work!!!

Guest Tomlin

PeteWelcome to our world! I would highly recommend that you sign up for the FDS forum. Although I havent ordered even 1 item YET, I can say without reservation that Peter Cos is the man to do business with. I have asked him numerous questions via email, and he never fails to respond in reasonable time. There are few posts on his forum that doesnt have his personal remarks on, and he obviously has the resources to make the business work. He is a role model for me, as I hope to get into the 'business' side of building flight simulators one day too. BTW, I am building an NG too.Eric T737NG Flightdeck Builder

Guest PoRrEkE

Just a suggestion: maybe DakenSky is easyer for you than FDS ?No 737 available yet but that shouldn't take long.

Why do you think another manufacturer of panels makes the connecting easier? :-)//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

DS sells panels with prints and switch/button/lights/whatever ready installed ?That sounds a lot easier to me.

Guest mondo

I have ordered the 747 MCP. As far as i know, it is only offered at this time with the backlighting already installed. ( leds or bulbs, your choice). You can also order them in kit form, meaning you install the backlighting. I have not yet seen any indication that they are ready to market any switches or knobs yet. They do plan to sometime in the future though. Milt

>DS sells panels with prints and switch/button/lights/whatever>ready installed ?>>That sounds a lot easier to me.I guess FDS can do that for you as well. But screwing the switches in and putting knobs etc is trivial compared to the wiring and whatever electronics you have as the "backend" behind the panels.There just is a lot of research one needs to do, there are several different ways to interface a cockpit to FS.//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

the keyword at DS is "prints" ;) as in PCB's.:D