Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikePowell

The Simple Sim Project

Guest MikePowell

I had been wondering for some time if it would be possible to make a fairly nice sim on the cheap using readily available materials and ordinary construction techniques. Recently, this wondering took physical form as the "Simple Sim" project.The current incarnation of the Simple Sim is based on the Bell 206B Jet Ranger helicopter. Because the project is modular, it should be easy to morph the sim to model other aircraft. Much of the materials are drawn from scrap left over from home remodelling projects. When materials are purchased, generally Ace Hardware, Home Depot or Pep Boys Auto Parts is the first store visited. Construction techniques often involve wood work, wood glue, epoxy, and polyester automotive body filler.This will use USB for input, based on Leo Lacava's excellent Baby Plasma interface.The project is nowhere near complete, but enough progress has been made that there are a few pictures and a bit of prose posted here: http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/simple_sim.htm This is an entertaining project. Hopefully it will inspire a few lurkers to dive in and join our hobby community. I think it would make a good entry level project.Mike Powellwww.mikesflightdeck.com

Guest MattOlieman

Mike, congratulations onto finally, a Sim Project. I look forward to following your progress.

Guest MikePowell

Thanks, Matt.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

In the spirit of the SimpleSim, I finally started my pedal work too.So, off to cut holes on the sim floor.. Then I used metal hinges to fix the "pedals" (pieces of plywood will work fine) to the holes, so they extend under the floor. This way I dont have anything nasty on the way inside the simulator, and well, there's 15cm of air under the sim anyway, so why not put the extra stuff there? :-) Less crowded there anyway.http://tigert.gimp.org/aviation/vatsim/coc...dals-hinge4.jpgThis is the underside. You can see I used metal wire (from those halogen lamp thingys, had it around already) and put it on a loop through two metal pulley wheels (from hardware store, they had 5mm wood screw on the base so I could just screw them directly on the 2x4" wooden frame of the sim base..http://tigert.gimp.org/aviation/vatsim/coc...dals-hinge5.jpgThe idea is, when you think about the mechanics a bit, a lot like what is on real GA planes - cable going into the rudder, which is turning when you press the pedal - then another cable from the opposite side of the rudder (which then "pulls" when the rudder moves) - that is then fixed to the other pedal.http://tigert.gimp.org/aviation/vatsim/coc...dals-hinge7.jpgSince this all is under the floor, the cable just needs to go to the front instead (pretty obvious once you think about it a bit :-)This way I could avoid using ball-joints or pushrods etc - all I had to do is make the pedals hinged and strap the cabling to them. They move nicely.Next task is to think about the centering - maybe bungee cord pulled to the back of the sim, or perhaps springs. I might also put those suspension things there to make it feel a bit heavier - what I try to avoid is the "CH Pro Pedals" feel which is way way too light and makes it hard to fly relaxed.//Tuomas

...aand springs (Mike's helicopter pedal set shouldnt center much, but I want a bit of centering force for aircraft..)http://tigert.gimp.org/aviation/vatsim/coc...dals-hinge8.jpgThis seems to work reasonably well, got to see if I need to add dampeners or something - but not now. This is very much good enough for now, I need a yoke first :)//Tuomas

Guest MikePowell

Those pedals look pretty good, Tuomas. Hard to think of a more easily built set.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

>Those pedals look pretty good, Tuomas. Hard to think of a>more easily built set.Thanks :)I have basic tools to work on wood, so that's what I have to live with - but I want to use metal parts on places that move, since I dont want to rebuild the setup twice a year.. Thus it's a lot about finding the parts from the hardware store..//Tuomas