Sign in to follow this  
fbass

Multiple Monitors-hardware-software

I tried a search on various words in this topic but was unable to find out info on this specific area. If this subject has been covered before, I apologize.My current system comprises - Intel 2.54GHz CPU, BFG NVidia 6800 Ultra Extreme video card, and 2Gb of RAM. I have 3 22" monitors and I want to do the following:I want to configure the three monitors to show the front view and the two side views - at the moment I don't need to display panels except on the main (front view) monitor.I've seen various commentaries indicating folks have used three video cards controlling 3 monitors from a single computer, or three separate (networked) computers controlling individual monitors.So, my questions are:1. How does 1 computer with 3 video cards manage to show three different views from the same FS setup?2. How can one video card (such as mine) control more than one monitor?3. If I install 3 video cards in the same computer, what is the performance impact and will I need extra fans inside the case?4. If I install 3 video cards, will each card require the same processing power and graphics handling capabilities. (I mean, looking at purchasing 2 more Ultra OC cards is daunting financially)5. If three separate networked computers are used, do you need 3 complete FS setups with AI aircraft, flying aircraft, and scenery files. Note: I know about WideView but I don't exactly understand how all this software and hardware work together.Thanks so much.Frank

Guest yoss

Hi FrankWill try to answer your quetions1. How does 1 computer with 3 video cards manage to show three different views from the same FS setup?----------------------------------Actualy you cant do that without having major fps hitsome exeption is PARHELIA tripple head card wich splits scenery view over 3 screen and handles that as one view--hoewer reducing zoomfactor u can achieve about 105 degrees view angleThe down side--the card is not very fast and you can not display 2d panels on that but works very nice for me 2. How can one video card (such as mine) control more than one monitor?------------------------------If your card has only one output --only one view can be diplayed--but on dual head cards u can run scenery on one monitor and 2D panels on another without sinificant FPS hit4. If I install 3 video cards, will each card require the same processing power and graphics handling capabilities-------------------------------------You can instal few card into your computer but only the Agp can be used for scenery display with acceleration and u have only one agp slot on your pcAdditional cards can be Pci and can be used for 2d panels displayingwith very low fps hit5. If three separate networked computers are used, do you need 3 complete FS setups with AI aircraft, flying aircraft, and scenery files. Note: I know about WideView but I don't exactly understand how all this software and hardware work together.-------------------------------------Wideview requars indentical full FS INSTALATION ON ALL NETWORKED COMPUTERS --moust important the scenerys and texturesServer runs the sim and the clients are in special slew or pause mod The advanteges --you can have as much outside views as the number of clients you haveDown side--the Ai traffic and clouds can be out of sync and perfomance on cliets can be not very fluidHope thats helpsRegards

Thanks Yoss. Appreciate your response.It sounds like, from what you've said, that using multiple monitors is not a very practical setup and will require not only the monitors but also two more computers.I had thought that with all those folks out there with these multiple monitor setups that it would work a little better. Oh well.Regards,Frank

Guest Scorcher

So...if I have a PARHELIA for scenery, can I use a PCI video card for panels in CFS2? Will it be useable frame rate wise with an Athlon 2500? How about video quality?