Sign in to follow this  
Guest twabi2

Cockpit costs

Guest twabi2

Okay, what if everyone posted here what they already spent (estimated or exactly) on their cockpit + some info.I'm in an early stage, so I can forsee what more it'll cost. Also for people who want to start building this will be intresting.I'll start:Space Shuttle Simulator built in a trailercosts so far:40,70

Guest MattOlieman

Touchy subject...Probably best to let others know what your expectations are of your project, and then they'll let you know what the expected costs are.

Can we count Labor/Hour? :-)Panels: $2000Raw Materials: $1000Computers: $5000EPIC: $1200LCD Projector: $1900Buttons/Switches: $1000Software: $1500Total: $13,600I've avoided adding this up over the years, purely for the sake of not knowing how much I've really sunk into this hobby. So... Thanks!.. Now I'm thoroughly depressed! NOW let's add in labor. I'll be cheap. Let's say $20/hour.I've been working on this since Nov 1997. Usually I put in a good 3-4 hours a night, but I'll use 1 hour a night, figuring in for those times I went on vacation, sick, business trips, etc....365 Days in a year, so 365 hours per year = $7300 Annual Labor Ratex7 years: $51,100 Total labor cost.All told, I have sunk $64,700 into that thing.....mommy!

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

Guest twabi2

That's quite a bit!I'm saving some on 2 points:the software (free) and the electronics (EPIC is exspensive), but then again, I don't think 7 years ago any of these 2 was available...Very nice setup BTW, 5000 on PC's PHEW

Don't forget all the powertools you end up buying :-) Even though you probably try to reason that they "will be useful in any case".. :)//Tuomas

Guest MikePowell

You need to have other things going on to deflect attention from the expenditures. For example, if you have home remodeling projects happening concurrently, then some of the materials for the sim get picked up with the remodeling supplies. And, if you write a book about it;-), the rest goes into book project research and development. Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

>..Good point~ I also forgot to factor in a trip to the>emergency room because of all those brand-new power tools!That's why you bought the superglue! :)//Tuomas