Sign in to follow this  
Guest PoRrEkE

Matrox

I havent tried wideview. But imagine 3 PCs for 3 monitors. Each of them must have the exact same scenery, the same settings.. there are now 3 PC's that can bork something on windows registry and forget their settings instead of one etc..I have not tried it, but I know there's enough quirks on one windows XP machine to maintain in working order for a sim that has almost 50 flight hours per month.. It's like installing a new can of worms - I wouldnt like to do it if stuff works with the parhelia :) Of course it might work just fine, and probably does. But if it was my own sim, I could always tweak stuff myself, but this needs to work without everyone calling me 8 am on a saturday morning when stuff doesnt start properly :-)I guess it could be done - but we try to keep the cost down, it's not like we have a lot of budget for this. The three 25+ inch monitors for the collimated system will cost a LOT if we end up needing to buy them, thus we are not exactly looking forward to purchasing 3 new PC's right now :) So, if the Matrox works, that'd be good and would make life just easier.//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

I'll get just 2 pc's. 1 for visuals with the matrox and 3 displays, 1 for the server with the 2 gauge displays (or 3).Since there is no outside view on the server pc there also is no need at all for scenery or whatever. Just FS9 + wideview + fsuipc + F50 panel.I think a setup like that should work just fine.Oh and I forget almost. 3rd pc is my laptop which holds my "CockpitLink.exe" for Photon going to the server via fsuipc widefs.Idealy I could use the monitor of my laptop for another outside (spot plane) view but that will not work since fs9 doesn't work on it :(

Yep. We dont run panels at all, since it's all simkits (and fsbus for the flap indicator which we built ourselves) - so all we see from FS when inside the sim is the scenery - plus whatever the instruments show of course.. The fun part is you can fly on the gauges even when FS is in the background, like someone keeps the sim in straight and level flight while someone else works on the fsbus stuff for example..Your idea should work okay. Might even work with panels too, but I guess you had problems making the gauge displays work wiht the parhelia, maybe the motherboard just doesnt like the combo or something..//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

Nono .. I had the gauges working great.1 outside display and 2 gauge panels. Worked super. But I prefer taking full advantage of the parhelia with outside views and not panels (cuz that I could do just as good with PCI cards.I just don't want to combo parhelia with PCI cards cuz I think that would hurt performance for the outside view. And I don't want to make it "worse" :(I'm fine with the parhelias performance since I come from a GF 2 Ti 500 and there isn't that much difference (minor step backwards) but I do love the 3 views.

Guest yoss

Hi guysI had a chance to try the two pc setup with wideview--one for scenerys as client and second for panels as server--so far results are good and perhaps can be improoved but didnt have time so far to mess with tweecksAnd can confirm thats parhelia can run with additional pci adaptos for panels--i have 4 of additional pci adaptors o the same mashineAs to your prob , Philippe with dark monitor--some tip for you;Open the case and locate HV tranformer --usualy big black --then u will find adjustments pots on thatThe bottom one usualy named screen--turn this one a little until you will have wonted brightnessAlsow good idea to search wideview forum on parhelia--as far i can remember have seen there recomendations about setups and single monitor colour gama correctionsAs to horizont lineup-- use the same size monitors at least to minimaze the effect--intenical are recommended

If you poke inside a monitor case, remember there's more voltage in there than you want to "check out" with your fingers.. Unplug and remember the capacitors can keep it charged.//Tuomas

Guest mmorrell

I also have purchased a Parhelia card but have not set it up yet.I'm curious - I'll be using three projectors for outside views. What is the widest view I can expect to achieve? Ideally I would like to to 120 degrees or better, as I really want the ability to do visual approaches in as realistic manner as possible.Thanks.

Guest PoRrEkE
http://users.skynet.be/plipke/Matrox.jpgHow good does this look ? Ok the one on the right isn't perfect but I can't help that. That display is all weird compared to the other 2.I did just as suggested here. Increase the displays with via the hardware settings of the display itself.Doing this, I made the image of the left display wider than visible and put it against the left border. This way the image sticks out behind the border on the right side only. Then you do similar with the right display and finally the center display is stretched on both sides.I am very happy with the result because the main 2 displays I'll be looking at are perfectly aligned.Also notice that I have spray-painted the fronts of the displays black just before. It looks way better now.

Coolness!I'm happy it worked like I was thinking. :)Also, I bet, once you start to do some serious flying with it, I bet you wont notice the small imperfections even. I mean, the fact that you have a wide display is much more important than the small issue of having a slight "jag" on the horizon line.//Tuomas

Guest monarch_161

I want to buy one of these cards. Does anyone know if I can get away with the 128 or should I make sure I get a 256 ?Maybe the answer is obvious but the price difference is a big factor.

Guest PoRrEkE

If you can afford, get the 256. That is probably also 8x AGP, right ? And the one I got is 4x ?Either way that should make a big difference in performance.Perhaps you wouldn't expect it but if you got this card, the biggest difference is near the airports. Not just because you can see the runway when turning final but you can actually see the buildings on close final. This helps make the illusion that you actually are at that airport 100% of the time. It's truely awesome to fly into EGLC (londen city airport) !!

Guest yoss

HiThis ishue was discussed on wideview forum and there is not noticable difference in performance for fs--take a look by yourselfI have the 128mb --and thats good inoughtIn this tread was alsow a question about view angle--about 100 degrees --max and zoom depended Regards

Guest monarch_161

Thanks for both those bits of advice.I agree it is hard work without a side window view, certainly when you are used to doing circuits etc in real aircraft, you get used to being able to look out of the side to line up for turning.

We have a 3-position switch (that returns to center) in our yoke that works like the "hat switch" on joysticks - it helps a bit when we can look 45 degrees to left and right.Now its going to be interesting when we try to get 3 collimated mirrors bolted together (we had one until now, but got access to 2 more) - we'll see how it works out.One of the elements:http://www.mik.fi/gallery/albums/simu-teli...6_nef.sized.jpgThe sim without a visual for a chance - yours truly in the green t-shirt wondering about the setup and how everything will eventually fit together.. :)http://www.mik.fi/gallery/albums/simu-teli...6_nef.sized.jpghttp://www.mik.fi/gallery/albums/simu-teli...5_nef.sized.jpgWe are trying to work a Parhelia for this - and still need to find affordable LARGE (25 inches + ) monitors for this.. but hopefully it'll work out. //Tuomas

Guest belairvideo

Hi Yoss.Glad to see that you are using extra PCI cards for gauges etc. Everyone else seems "Scared" of doing this and are stuck in the multi PC mode!What PCI cards are you using?TONY (U.K.)